Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 car problem ...help! 
    Found my car problem is a bad connection, trouble is it is in a connector block I cannot undo with many strange wires coming from it. If the connector is lifted, car works, otherwise it starts, won't run. I have been wondering if araldite is an insulator, in which case I am thinking my only resource apart from expensive electrical repairs and parts (hundreds of bucks apparently despite it being a small part) is to flood the area with araldite when the connection is in place. Hopefully this will hold it ... any thoughts on such bodging? All I can think of otherwise is to try and flood the bad area (any one of a dozen wires) with solder into all the connecting points and hope ...

2. #2 Re: car problem ...help! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Found my car problem is a bad connection, trouble is it is in a connector block I cannot undo with many strange wires coming from it. If the connector is lifted, car works, otherwise it starts, won't run. I have been wondering if araldite is an insulator, in which case I am thinking my only resource apart from expensive electrical repairs and parts (hundreds of bucks apparently despite it being a small part) is to flood the area with araldite when the connection is in place. Hopefully this will hold it ... any thoughts on such bodging? All I can think of otherwise is to try and flood the bad area (any one of a dozen wires) with solder into all the connecting points and hope ...
    surface "Araldite"ed can't sperated easily when further repair is needed
    NON-acdic silicone sealant is better choice for this job

3. #3 Re: car problem ...help! 
    Thanks mate, the problem is I need to fix it in an immovable position so it doesn't disconnect again. I think silicon is flexible and would still vibrate/bend and disconnect. If the araldite glues it all together in a way it cannot move it should keep the connection? It is a couple of sensors, they work but a connection in there is loose it seems, took three weeks to figure it out, already replaced a few expensive parts on the advice of mechanics and frankly cannot afford any more wasted money and riding the m'bike in the cold and rain is driving me nuts!!

4. #4 Re: car problem ...help! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Thanks mate, the problem is I need to fix it in an immovable position so it doesn't disconnect again. I think silicon is flexible and would still vibrate/bend and disconnect. If the araldite glues it all together in a way it cannot move it should keep the connection? It is a couple of sensors, they work but a connection in there is loose it seems, took three weeks to figure it out, already replaced a few expensive parts on the advice of mechanics and frankly cannot afford any more wasted money and riding the m'bike in the cold and rain is driving me nuts!!
    Search"ed" Google & found u had a 89' Ford Telstar which is on Mazda GD platform.
    This forum had many good infos
    Last edited by humanbeing; 05-26-2010 at 01:19 AM.

5. #5 Re: car problem ...help! 
    Thats .... weird, but thanks. Lots of 'japes' on the 'net, thankfully only one is me, some strange buggers out there! I understand what you say about silicon humanbeing , I have used that on 'bikes and boats before and I appreciate your help, just needed an inflexible fix this time.

Well I risked the araldite, after all they stuck planes together with it, all is working (in the yard at least), will take a trip into town later and hope. Saved myself a few hundred here and finally got four wheels and a roof again if the fix works. I understand that these bloody loose connection faults are the hardest to find - took me three weeks of occasional efforts and mind-ripping logic and elimination of possibilities before I accidentally wiggled the right connector at the right time. lol I just wish the mechanics wouldn't do the very expensive bit-by-bit fix on my time and money.
    Last edited by jape; 05-26-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: update

6. #6 Re: car problem ...help! 
    Araldit is good stuff.

I don't know how cold it is in Australia, but there it can be very comfy to drive in sub zero (Celsius) temperatures if you just have the right gear. Of course the colder it gets the more it affects how long and how fast you drive. If you don't have yet, try getting some good thick enduro equipment, waterproof and windproof stuff. If there is not snowing and water freezing you will be perfectly fine with those. In my opinion part of the charm of motorbiking is to experience different elements.

7. #7 Re: car problem ...help! 
    It doesn't get all that cold here, not by your standards mate! But it is all relative to what you have become used to. 0 to 10C is a bad day and I live a few hundred meters up so usually 5 deg. colder than forecasts with some black ice - and then there is the chill factor of 100kph. I have basic thermal underwear and leathers but old age is becoming the real problem! A stray draft up the sleeve or trouser-leg or round the neck can ruin my day easily ... but it is also that nobblies don't seem to do as well as I had hoped on wet mud roads and potholes, also I cannot get much shopping in a rucksack! If it were to be a regular thing I would get a balaclava and an oversuit.

I live in an area where the trees will explode from volatile oils even in winter if they catch fire and as you probably know a few hundred folk died nearby last fire season, roasted in their own homes and cars. Otherwise I would not need a car much - but it pulls a trailer, just, and will take me, some supplies and the bike to safety if a fire comes through, with the bike itself a last chance to get away if I am trapped.

The car now runs, but idles and revs badly. I may have to just accept that as otherwise it's a few hundred bucks I don't have, for replacement sensors. I will be dead by the time I have saved for a new car! I shall have to find a rich widow, one that likes grumpy old sods like me.

8. #8 Re: car problem ...help! 
    Yeah, it is all relative to what you have used to. Years ago after my first all year winter driving experience I could do nothing but laugh when people said it is cold. After driving at worst in -25C temperatures like -5C are childs play. Now it has been about 10C here more or less, and I have no problems wearing my enduro pants and coat only. The coat is not very thick because I removed already the additional inner sleeve of it, so if I only have the coat and t-shirt I can feel a slight chill in my chest and arms, nothing to be bothered of in short trips but for longer trpis I would wear long sleeved shirt or install the additional inner sleeve. Anyway speeding kills in cold weather. There is huge differences how warm it is when driving 60km/h 80km/h or 100km/h. 100km/h is overkill. And take black ice very seriously, it is nasty stuff.

I would not consider getting a rich widow if I were you. Might not be very nice to be dependant of a woman Women often just bring problems. I already regret I called one and said that now since I have the bike I could come meet her. It would had meant a nice ride to the SW corner of Finland. She became overly enthusiastic and talked gradually me to take her to a week long camping without paying trip to the archipelago. We set even the beginning day for it. Today I called her regarding the trip and got information that some man she doesn't know are they in relationship or not came back earlier than expected from a month long work trip and it was annoying The only thing I regret was that I did not cancel the plans right away but instead said I will call again in better time. It is really beyond my understanding how they can have so many things going on in the same time. No matter, hopefully she understands that when I don't call it means the plan has been cancelled. I don't freaking want to have any role in messy relationships.