Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
...so ridiculously overpriced. At the time the 883cc was around 110k and 1200cc was about 130k much less than the BMW options at the time.
For readers outside the PRC who may not know renminbi exchange rates, let me put bikerdoc's important pricing comment in perspective. RMB 110k is about US$16,100 at current rates, and 130k just over $19,000. Not sure if those "low" prices are still available from China's H-D dealers, but here's about what some other bikes are costing:

--BMW G650GS with single engine made by China's Loncin RMB 150k or $21,950
--BMW R650GS twin enduro is probably RMB 175k $25,600
--BMW R800GS twin enduro RMB 190k $27,800
--Ducati Multistrada 1200, which hit Shanghai last week RMB 350k $51,200

So you can maybe understand why some of us feel the lure of a well-designed, modern Chinese bike like the JH600. A 100% luxury import tax can do that to you.

I took a bunch of pictures at the Ducati shop in Shanghai yesterday, which I can post separately. They are not flying out the door. Maybe 2 a month. BMW has two dealers in Shanghai, and sells probably fewer than 10 a month, almost all to rich Chinese guys.

As noted elsewhere, a sales guy from H-D Shanghai ***told me*** that they ARE selling a lot of tonnage -- up to 20 bikes a month, but acknowledged these too are going entirely to nouveau riche Chinese who already have a BMW R1200RT or similar (and probably also a Porsche) and want another trophy for their big garages. You almost never see these bikes on the road. I'm highly skeptical about the reported sales volumes, but stranger things have happened. Shanghai also has dealers for Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Aston-Martin, Maserati, Ferrari and Lamborghini, not to mention Porsche, Mercedes and other common luxury marques.

Shanghai's H-D dealer is out in the 'burbs but I'll try to do some reconnaissance this week, and snap some pix. Here's one sighting I made downtown a few weeks ago. This is a rain-soaked H-D Fatboy just loaded in the back of a company van.