Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. #121 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    China Daily article (April 19, 2013)

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/weekly/...t_16421845.htm

A ride high on the hog

An American icon has gained a loyal following in China

Harley-Davidson just sits back and enjoys the ride. It has done that in China for the past seven years as Chinese motorcycle companies go full throttle trying to hawk their wares using primetime TV and other advertising channels.

The US company is such a marquee name that in China it saves itself that huge expense, and in TV advertising and on highway billboards it is nowhere to be seen.

Likewise, the company's sales and revenue figures for China are absent, the company keeping them confidential, although it says the number of motorcycles sold has doubled every year since 2006.

The company entered China the previous year, at the grand age of 102. Before that its motorcycles found their way into the country through illicit channels, making it difficult to know how many there are.

On entering the country, Harley-Davidson set up a subsidiary, the only Western motorcycle company to do so; others have signed up with agencies or dealerships.

But well before the smuggling years, Harley-Davidson had a connection with China, a store in Shanghai having sold its motorcycles from the 1920s. During World War II US President Franklin Roosevelt approved the donation of 1,000 Harley-Davidsons to China for military purposes.

Last year the Chinese subsidiary launched a campaign called "In Search of the Earliest Harleys", and a collector showed a model that dates back to the 1940s.

Sean Jiang, president of Harley-Davidson China, says the only way to get an idea of how many of its motorcycles are in China is through the owners' association. A buyer automatically becomes a member of the Harley-Davidson Owners Group, and since 2006 more than 2,000 people have joined. Twenty-four models are sold in China.

HOG chapters organize many kinds of activities, the company says. The most frequent are group rides across the country, and even the world. Dealers also organize similar rides on weekends, or they bring groups to ride overseas with rented motorcycles from local dealers. HOGs and dealers, as well as Harley-Davidson China, provide safety training for the riders.

To celebrate the brand's 110th anniversary this year, the Chinese subsidiary has invited 30 owners from the US to ride in Zhejiang province next month. The Chinese company will take care of licensing, insurance and motorcycle rentals.

The brand had 11 dealers in China by the end of last year and plans to add two this year. The dealerships are not necessarily in first-tier cites, Jiang says, and the main consideration is whether the city has a motorcycle riding culture.

"Take Chongqing, for example. It has a dozen motorcycle makers and the government has good policies for motorcycles, so we set up dealerships there as early as last year."

Local purchasing power is another thing to be considered, Jiang says, as Harley-Davidsons do not come cheap. A Super Glide Custom 110th Anniversary limited edition in the Dyna Family costs more than 200,000 yuan ($32,360; 24,800 euros).

"We look at luxury car sales in the city to decide whether to set up a dealership there, as our customers tend to be in the same group."

The existing 11 dealerships are in Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Suzhou, Dalian and other cities. Beijing and Shanghai have the largest Harley-Davidson colonies.

Zhang Tao, a Beijing-born businessman who has a shop that sells traditional Chinese paintings and decorations, is secretary-general of HOG's Beijing chapter.

"Harley-Davidson riders come from all kinds of professions, including lawyers, teachers and civil servants," he says.

But they have one thing in common: they are rich enough to pay 200,000-plus yuan on a motorcycle they ride only once in a while; the best Japanese motorcycle costs about half that.

For 10 years Zhang has stuck to two wheels, moving from a Yamaha 250 to a Honda 400 and then a Harley-Davidson Super Glide Custom.

"Harley-Davidson owners are mostly males between 35 and 50, senior managers or businessmen," Jiang says.

"Compared with other heavyweight motorcycles, Harley-Davidson owners are older as the brand is best-known for low-speed rides."

Industry insiders estimate that more than half the profit in the only Beijing store comes from accessories such as badges, scarves, and other gear bearing Harley-Davidson logos.

Often Western vehicle manufacturers wish to localize their production in China so they can avoid tariffs and bring down prices and gain bigger market share, but Harley-Davidson says it has no plans to produce its motorcycles in China.

It has taken 50 to 60 percent of the country's heavyweight motorcycle market, and ranks No 1 in the high-end market.

But the brand faces an unusual problem in China: restrictions on motorcycles. Jiang says those restrictions seriously curb the development of high-end brands such as Harley-Davidson.

"In the US, motorcycles enjoy the same treatment as cars, but in China, 200 out of the 2,000 cities restrict the use of motorcycles."

=============
    And here is an industry article (An Industry Savior: Big Boys' Toys) . It has a focus on CF Moto. I couldn't find an appropriate thread (maybe one of the CF Moto people here can move it to a more appropriate place), and the article is quite long.

http://africa.chinadaily.com.cn/week...t_16422844.htm

2. #122 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    If they still made and sold the Buell Ulysses, I would be looking seriously at Harley here too.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #123 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Im enjoying my Harley; great to own, fun to ride, and sure, nice to turn a few heads from time to time.

The local guys who own them here in Wuhan are a good bunch of fellas. Its ever so slightly Spinal Tap does Sons of Anarchy, but they're having fun and at least they've got the spirit to get a bike and enjoy being in an MC.

I agree with an earlier poster: any bike is a good bike ( just some are better then others ;)

4. #124 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    new Harley dealership opened inside Tianijn City in April.

IMG_20130515_161922.jpg

of course still can't ride a motorcycle inside Tianjin city.
    or register a bike if your address is inside the city.
    or have the dealer plate it for you (like jing B plates)

but that hasn't stopped them from selling 30+ bikes in 6 weeks.

TIC
    Instagram: #mychinamoto

Jialing JH150GY-3
    QingQi QM70ZK
    Lida LD30-3 - SOLD!

5. #125 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    Banned
    Well stocked HD dealership in Beijing....

Attached Images

6. #126 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Jesus, it's hog heaven! Pork by the ton!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #127 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    Official ... the Pope has blessed Harley! Yippie! I can now officially look down on all those atheist peasants as I cruise around on my shiny Ultra ... oh wait, I'm not a Catholic. Never mind.

I had a chuckle from what the Pope stated ...

"(Pope) Francis cautioned that "power and pleasure", among other things, lead to God being "replaced by fleeting human idols which offer the intoxication of a flash of freedom, but in the end bring new forms of slavery and death."

Golly gee, I wonder what he meant? I better consult my official HD dictionary, and make notes with my official HD pen on my official HD stationary.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/break...tory?track=rss

8. #128 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    Why, Why, Why do you feed the monkeys! You know what is now coming..............

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Official ... the Pope has blessed Harley! Yippie! I can now officially look down on all those atheist peasants as I cruise around on my shiny Ultra ... oh wait, I'm not a Catholic. Never mind.

I had a chuckle from what the Pope stated ...

"(Pope) Francis cautioned that "power and pleasure", among other things, lead to God being "replaced by fleeting human idols which offer the intoxication of a flash of freedom, but in the end bring new forms of slavery and death."

Golly gee, I wonder what he meant? I better consult my official HD dictionary, and make notes with my official HD pen on my official HD stationary.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/break...tory?track=rss
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

9. #129 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    I enjoy most bikes, including Harleys. But seriously, folks, just when you thought it can't possibly get any crazier in China ...

I was in the Beijing HD dealer a couple of weeks ago, and saw the new 2013 CVO Ultra, 110th Anniversary. Nice looking bike.

Anyways, the price tag was on the bike. Are you sitting down?

Base price is 588,000 rmb. After taxes, plates & insurance, the out-the-door price is 666,374.

OK, that is $108,725 (US)!

So, I am telling my buddies in the USA and, of course, no one believes me. MSRP in the States is about $36K, and people are unhappy by what many consider an inflated stateside price. Anyways, after our ride today, I went inside the Beijing dealer to take some pics ...

2013 CVO Ultra pic 01.jpg
    2013 CVO Ultra pic 02.jpg
    2013 CVO Ultra price tag.jpg

The orange sign on the seat says it is sold. Now, IMHO, it isn't a question of whether a person can afford it, rather it is a question of value. Seriously, pretty much everyone can afford 100 rmb for a Big Mac, but would you? I'm looking forward to meeting the new owner one day.

Another way to look at this ... if you absolutely MUST have a 2013 CVO Ultra, why not take a trip to the USA, pay $36K, and have $70K left over for six months of touring around the USA & Canada?

/shock

10. #130 Re: Harley-Davidson in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    In some places in the US you could buy a house for $70k, including a garage for this monstrosity!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast