Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi guys,
    thanks to your forum´s help i purchased 6 ybr250cc´s for my tours in china / tibet. altough we could not make it on our planned route from chengdu to lhasa (temple of heaven know´s why they are not issuing permits for regions we´d have to pass on our way...) we started from xining via golmud namtso lake, mt. everest base camp and back via shigatse, gyantse and bayi to lhasa where we arrived yesterday.
    after we clocked 4300km on the ybr´s we arrived without a single problem on the bikes. (ok, i admit there is oil leaking (from the very beginning) out of a gasked on the clutch case)
    road ride is perfect and even the offroad portions from yangbacheng towards shigatse, up to everest base camp and after tsedang where no problem for the more experienced riders. altough i have to admit offroad is definately not their strength as mentioned they where doing fine. thinking of experimenting with a different front wheel/tire here.
    riding in the bikes with around 80km/h for the first 1000km and fuel consumtion showed around 2,7l/100km as a tour average.

can only recommend the bikes and i guess i will not purchase the jialing 600cc or any other dual purpose bike for the near future. will go for more ybr´s.

heiri

www.asiabiketours.com

2. #2 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    Quote Originally Posted by heiri View Post
    chengdu to lhasa (temple of heaven know´s why
    if u're "lucky", the Outlaws from Kham region would...

3. #3 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    Good to read of your biking venture! You need to advertise on horizonsunlimited.com/hubb as there are many, many members who are trying to figure out how to get their bike into China during one of their around the world rides--from what I understand it is next to impossible.

4. #4 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Good to read of your biking venture! You need to advertise on horizonsunlimited.com/hubb as there are many, many members who are trying to figure out how to get their bike into China during one of their around the world rides--from what I understand it is next to impossible.
    how do they say "impossible is nothing" :-) .... just very expensive! that is why our bikes are registered (and bought) in china.
    horizons.. the forum link on my website www.asiabiketours.com is to horizons and i have an ad running there. thanks anyway!

5. #5 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    if u're "lucky", the Outlaws from Kham region would...
    actually i´d rather think they would and ask if they could the bikes as they did on our last tours when we crossed the area

6. #6 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    Hi Heiri,

I'm glad the YBR's worked out, please keep us posted on the modifications and general maintenance you are doing to keep them running. Since you are hitting the hard stuff with them, I think a lot of people will be interested to know how they hold up in the long run.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    I'm glad the YBR's worked out, please keep us posted on the modifications and general maintenance you are doing to keep them running. Since you are hitting the hard stuff with them, I think a lot of people will be interested to know how they hold up in the long run.
    +1

I'm still thinking about buying this bike....just the cost. 25,000 yuan for a single cylinder commuter bike with a rear drum is a bit expensive. But if it can really take serious long term abuse, then maybe it is worth the cost, or if a 2nd hand or bulk buy is possible, then even more maybe.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

8. #8 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    +1

I'm still thinking about buying this bike....just the cost. 25,000 yuan for a single cylinder commuter bike with a rear drum is a bit expensive. But if it can really take serious long term abuse, then maybe it is worth the cost, or if a 2nd hand or bulk buy is possible, then even more maybe.
    they cost me 22.000Y when buying 6pcs in chengdu. asking price was 23.800Y ... just told my tibet partner to tell them i get them for 22000 in kunming and since there was no negotiation any more i guess i could have got a better price... anyway - if i bulk up i will inform the forum just in case anyone (besides you) is interested in the bike. by the way... your (probably the best bike in china...) and chinaV´s advise where the main pointers for me... as already mentioned - thanks! keep you posted on the bikes performance this august again in tibet central but next may a tough one going northern route to kailash and southern route back to lhasa

9. #9 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    YBR250??? how mach? i like it.......

10. #10 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by heiri View Post
    they cost me 22.000Y when buying 6pcs in chengdu. asking price was 23.800Y ... just told my tibet partner to tell them i get them for 22000 in kunming and since there was no negotiation any more i guess i could have got a better price... anyway - if i bulk up i will inform the forum just in case anyone (besides you) is interested in the bike. by the way... your (probably the best bike in china...) and chinaV´s advise where the main pointers for me... as already mentioned - thanks! keep you posted on the bikes performance this august again in tibet central but next may a tough one going northern route to kailash and southern route back to lhasa
    got mine for 20,800rmb, for 6 you need to bargain harder. contact me if you want to buy another lot of them, maybe i can do something for you

your right, the YBR250 was handeling fine in Tibet. Did it 2 up in 2009, check here http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...u-Lhasa-Ali%29

better take some spare parts, you can not get any parts in Tibet, even the Yamaha shop in Lhasa need to order everything
    My clutch was gone, so we needed to truck the bike back from Ali.

@ ZMC888 my used YBR250 is still for sale in Hunan. i just moved back to europe. pm me when intersted
    Riding the horse to death

http://tuo-ma-si.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast