Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Regular
    [QUOTE=tokyokid;14931]got mine for 20,800rmb, for 6 you need to bargain harder. contact me if you want to buy another lot of them, maybe i can do something for you

better take some spare parts, you can not get any parts in Tibet, even the Yamaha shop in Lhasa need to order everything
    My clutch was gone, so we needed to truck the bike back from Ali.

::: been touring ladakh "littel tibet" in india therfore the delayed replay::: here we go now ---

will definately contact you when piling up my stock to get a better price...

and yes, no spares at all in lhasa... not in chengdu either by the way... everything at the factory.... if at all!

2. #12 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    A fuel injected bike has to be a real advantage when you are up at those high altitudes.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

3. #13 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That is not a bad deal. I had been getting a lot of help from this forum for over 8 months trying to figure out what to get. Ended up going with a small YBR125. I am finding that for the commute it is nice because it keeps up with traffic much better than my old Jialing JH70, and the ride is much smoother. Also loving the responsiveness of the breaks and the fact that I can leave the bike in gear while holding the clutch without it wanting to creep along! The handling is really nice as well! Since it feels like it is not even moving at about 70 km/h, I took a turn a bit fast the other day, but it dipped nicely and freaked the hell out of me when my toe scrapped the pavement! But popped right back up and along I went...

The other reason I got it was that when I was talking with moto lee, he was essentially telling me that with the higher quality of the yamaha engine, it was about equivalent to the qingqi 200cc. While this maybe true, one thing that I am noticing and not liking so much is the effect that wind and hills seem to have... not much power hitting a head wind or a steeper grade....

Either way, I am happy where I am and it is probably a good idea to increase the size slowly as if I went too big to fast, I might really hurt might self without leveling up smoothly...

4. #14 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I almost got a ybr 7 months ago, looking back, i wish I did. I was putt off by the skinny front shocks and I thought a 200cc Chinese bike ready with front and rear racks is a better deal. I like that the YBR is ready to go from day1, you get optimum performacne.
    Wanglong, questions for you:
    1) Did you get the fuel injection version? Did you get the street of dual sport version?
    2) How does it handle rough roads? I like that my bike tracks well even on rough terrian, or hitting potholes/rocks/people. I don't even try to avoid potholes, it's actually fun to bounce off. That was my major concern with the YBR.
    3) Did you try it two up going up mountains?
    Sometimes I think of selling mine and "downgrading" to a YBR 125.

5. #15 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Slabo,
    I was in a similar situation where Motto Lee essentially told me that when it came to power and performance the YBR125 and the qingqi 200 were about comparable. The biggest difference (big for me) he said was that there are no problems starting the YBR in the winter time but chinese makes are always trouble. Don't have personal experience with this yet though.

As for your questions:
    1. No, I didn't get the injected version. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the 125s don't do that, only the 250's. Got the street version. Didn"t want the nobbies on pavement; makes for a rough ride.
    2. Don't really know about rough roads. I hadn't even been near a rough road till I took it to the mountains just the other day. While there were dirt roads, I was cautious as I was there for a photo shoot and didn't want to dirty the think up, and I didn't trust the street tires to handle terribly well. Now, to me it seems to handle smoothly, but you have to take into comparison my previous experience of three wheelers in America and an ancient Jialing that and steel poles for shocks here! Not sure about the front forks, but the rear suspension seems to be a bit rough, but still better than what I had. This concern of yours maybe somewhat justified, but it has gotten better since I readjusted the rear suspension after visiting the dealer the last time.
    3. You have perfect timing as I just took it up the mountains the first time on Tuesday. The one thing that I have noticed is that even though it is small it has plenty of power, until you start to reach its limits, which are fairly low being such a small engine. So things like grades and head winds, it can handle pretty well until you start to hit 80/90 kp/h. At that point it gets really bogged down and it is slow getting up to its peak speed. The other thing is that at that speed, it is difficult to control in the wind. I have never had a bike that fast before so I am not sure if it is a common issue or a design one, but it may also be b/c it is smaller and lighter it gets tossed around a bit. The thing about the mountains is that you don't ever really reach its limits because they are fairly curvy and it's hard to get that fast. But it had more than enough power to get around cars and speed up the hills. Couldn't do much about the assholes in the other lane passing on blind corners.

6. #16 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I had a headon collision with a small minivan. I think impact was at about 20km/h speed. Bent his front fender, and dropped the bike, but started the bike a few minutes later, no problems. Front fork absorbed the impact and didn't bend. That's a plus for Qinqi / Shineray .. other bikes... big fat front shocks to bend other people's fenders. Another plus for the YBR is the build quality. Huge differnce here. Stuff fits properly, everything just clicks into place. And I don't think anything would rust.
    90km/h ! That's as fast as you want to go on suburban roads in China. I can't go that fast with my knobby tires.
    Fuel injected 125 ... http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...cc/ybr125.aspx not sure about Chinese yamaha website though.
    About being tossed around, you are right, it's mostly because the bike is ~140 kg. But your body will learn to make continuous corrections to keep the bike stable in such conditions. What you need to do is take the bike on a long long trip, then you really get used to it. A plus to light bikes is you can hold them up with one hand, just before you drop it
    Ah, well, you win some, you loose some. I'm just happy i can ride.

7. #17 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    Allow me to interject as I have had many bikes around this size and have been riding on Chinese roads a long time.

-Dual sport bikes are better for off-road and on those poorly maintained potholed roads so common in China. But really any bike with a regular riding position which is not too heavy and with a competent rider can negotiate fairly messed up roads and farm tracks pretty easily. The cheaper Chinese branded road bikes will need some bolt tightening and possibly re-welding before they can do this safely. Japanese branded bikes like the YBR will be able to do this from new.

-Many of the single cylinder bikes in China between 125cc-200cc perform in a very similar manner, especially up to about 90k/mh. The slightly bigger bikes just tend to be better at fighting wind-blast and going up hill and have a top speed which is a few Kms more, but it all comes down to sprockets and gearbox set-up. Different bikes use different emissions stuff, spark better or worse, have different carb set-ups or have more or less restricted exhausts. Some of the Japanese branded stuff have greener emissions and noise technology which in fact can make them seem slower as they are less noisy and more torquey.

-For me tires, brakes and gearboxes are the most important aspects.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

8. #18 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Noob
    i have a question. me and some friends are planning to travel from shanghai to paris by motorcycle. we were also thinking about buying a ybr 250 for that, since it seems to be suitable for this track and it will probably also be easier to find replacement parts in areas like kazakhstan or russia than for a bmw or ktm or other "high-class" bikes.

for me the only thing what i'm not sure yet is, if i can pack enough luggage on the ybr. i know it can have that luggage box in the middle above the rear wheel. but i would additionally need sideboxes and one of those boxes that you can put on the gas tank. is it possible to get that in shanghai? does somebody know where?

thx

9. #19 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4277233364
    Those "commercial" version is developed by a "bald" teacher after his tailor-made saddle bag 4 Guangdong > Tibet trip. Many chinese long-distance road trip biker use that guy's product. He teaches English on weekdays, just call him at evening / lunch time http://shop59762481.taobao.com/

10. #20 Re: in praise of the Yamaha YBR 250 
    C-Moto Noob
    thanks a lot, that's exactly what i was looking for

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast