Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Exhaust header bolt sizes? 
    Not sure of mine. I think it doesn't have since Galaxy XTR 250 does not have and noone have talked about changing the oil filter xD

I took my bike to 500km scheduled maintenance to a approved mechanic by the dealer. He checked the oil colour and revved the engine, listening it carefully and said to me "there is nothing what needes to be done. Come back at 1000km". I argued with him about changing the oils but gave up. It was he who was pro, not me. The mechanic was retired old man with life time experience on repairing engines, now doing repairs as a hobby as he told me.

My bike is Skyteam ST 250. I haven't had any issues yet, except with the gear changing lever. It is bad design. I am going to modify it this week.

skyteam..jpg

EDIT: Outch what crappy things this forum software does to the pictures. It does not leave them untouched but compresses them making the pictures look like crap -.-

2. #12 Re: Exhaust header bolt sizes? 
    Your bike must have a filter, are you just cant find where its located? lol

I don't doubt your mechanic was a pro, but if he didnt give the bike a proper service at your first 500km then i doubt he really cares. I hope you didnt have to pay him?
    Sparky
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pulse Adrenaline 125 (XF125GY-2B)

3. #13 Re: Exhaust header bolt sizes? 
    Why Galaxy 250 XTR then does not have a filter? I have been looking for it but haven't opened stuff to see if I can find it. There doesn't seem to be very obvious location for it like yours have.

What maintenance a good bike does need at 500km? The oils has been changed two times before that. Remember Skyteam is not japanese crap or a HD xD

And no, I did not pay him and if he dared to ask for payment I would had taken it as a joke and laughed and if then seen him be serious I would had gone berserk and done some motocross in his lands. Finlanders don't try to fool people, it is a matter of honour. Or if they do people go berserk.

EDIT: I am bringing my bike today for 1000km maintenance and we will do "everything". I am curious to see what it means.

4. #14 Re: Exhaust header bolt sizes? 
    Well, you have me stumped then. No oil filter?!?

I didnt realise you had already done 2 oil changes prior to the 500km, but if you hadnt then this what I would have recommended you have done. As you may have realised, a new engine sheds loads of little metal filings as everything inside beds down. Also, air cooled engines typically have screw-and-locknut valve adjusters, so I would certainly recommend checking your valve clearances on the first service.

Anyway, Im glad you didnt pay him.

Let me know how you get on with your 1000km service
    Sparky
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pulse Adrenaline 125 (XF125GY-2B)

5. #15 Re: Exhaust header bolt sizes? 
    Well things suck now in People's Republic of Finland. I went to the mechanic and he begun to ask do I have the service manual, which he asked in the first time at 500km too. I said the dealer has not sent it even though they said they will. I saw the service manual at the dealer and even held it in my hands before giving it back to the dealer, who never put it with the rest of the papers for me. I noticed that in the first fuel station stop where I wanted to read the manual, and called next day to the dealer to send it by snail mail.

The mechanic called to the dealer and we both talked with the dealer, which promised to send "papers" for both of us since they don't have service manuals anymore and they claimed they had sent me one by snail mail. The mechanic said to both me and the dealre that he can work without the service manual but still he wanted to see the service manual. Then I noticed the machanic was drunken xD It reminded me of the first visit and how the mechanic bragged how he can adjust the valve clareance with his fingers. I became a little bit doubtfull about was it a good idea to chose this mechanic instead of repair shop in the city xD The mechanic said that we should have the papers next Friday so come back then and we do everything, I thought that alright it might be a good idea then to reconsider where and how to do the 1000km service. The mechanic asked did I have any travelling plans and I said I had about 200 - 300km trip in my mind. The mechanic said fine go do it no problems. I wont do it however before I have got the bike serviced in one way or another.

I can say I am really pissed now since this is not going as planned; my Skyteam is not getting good baby sitting at all. I however trust those "battle scarred" veteran mechanics, they can be really pro mechanics but they often are also big personalities with strange quirks xD If I would had done myself valve adjustments before I would say bye bye to the warranty and do it myself. I am very sure neither of us get no "papers" at Friday, and then the service moves forward to next week in the worst case. Stupid me for not to hold on to the manual at the dealer, but I mainly thought it is nice collectible and curiosity, and that at least no mechanic would never want to see it.

Dunno. I think I go next Friday back to the quirky mechanic and bring him some beer or a bottle of Gognac I got xD He at least lets me observe how the valve adjustment is done. The repairing shop and bike merchant in the city said they wont let me observe the service.

6. #16 Re: Exhaust header bolt sizes? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    I'm thinking that as I am going to the effort of replacing the bolts, that it would be a shame to leave the exhaust all rusty. So, weather permitting I am going to give the manifold and exhaust a good clean and a fresh coat of VHT black paint.

If anyone is interested I could take some before, during and after shots.
    Once rust sets in it's going to stay there, not much can be done about it. Thankfully I don't have that problem. I've seen people going for coats and paints but I don't think that is the real process of oxidation of the metal.
    Last edited by gordonjj; 08-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.

7. #17 Re: Exhaust header bolt sizes? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    Hi All

I have searched this site and the net, and I can't find anything that will tell me what size the bolts are for the exhaust header on my Pulse Adrenaline K157 FMI.

Does anyone know? I need to replace the badly rusted ones that are on there now. I could source an original part from a supplier without knowing the size, but I would rather source a better quality such as a stainless steel etc etc.
    I am also looking for the exact size of the header bolt. I will post it here if I'll find the one that will fit in our bolt. :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12