Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
  1. #91 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hi,

let me get this right: You guys tried to "jump-start" your bikes through the electric socket in the dashboard? If this is so, then, well, lesson learnt. For the audience, it is possible to "jump-start" the JH600 in the conventional way by taking off the seat and connect power to the battery poles.

DT, good to see you have finally installed the Wilbers rear shock. I guarantee, you will feel a different, new, better bike when riding. You spent quite some extra money on the hydraulic spring tensioner, nice luxury for sure, but at a price. It is not a big deal to change the progressive front springs. I did it but still lack behind an update on my report - it will come soon. First riding experience here is a more balanced bike. I strongly recommend to change the fork oil when you are on it. The oil color in my forks were different between the left and right side, which tells a lot...

Ride safe and greetings,
    AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

2. #92 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    let me get this right: You guys tried to "jump-start" your bikes through the electric socket in the dashboard? If this is so, then, well, lesson learnt. For the audience, it is possible to "jump-start" the JH600 in the conventional way by taking off the seat and connect power to the battery poles.
    Hi AW - I think TA used this as an emergency option. In certain cases, it is ok to trickle through the socket and even to do a mini-jump. Several top-end manufacturers use an onboard trickle device that is wired into the same circuitry as external power sockets. It depends on how the wiring / electronics are set up.

What is important, IMHO, is to avoid jump starting a motorcycle off of a car's battery - use another motorcycle of approximately the same size. If only a car is available, and one absolutely must get a jump, then make sure that the car is NOT running while you connect the jumper cables. The car's powerful charging system can damage a motorcycle's tiny battery & electrical system. In the past, conventional wisdom was to put some load on the car's battery (e.g., turn on the lights) before doing a quick-connect to a bike when jumping (quick connect is to remove the cables as soon as the bike starts). At present, it is argued that this is not a good idea because some of the newer "intelligent" car batteries will actually spike current flow under load.

Large bikes, such as Gold Wings, Harleys, etc, have primary electrical power systems of comparable capacity to small cars. But small (and many mid-size) bikes are just not designed to take the current flow from a car's battery & charging system.

My two cents.

3. #93 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    Sorry for no responses lately. I jsut returned from 4 weeks in the USA. Tax season is a bitch when you involve several countries. Not all was bad. Had a fantastic ride West of San Antonio in the Texas hill country. Lots of switch back canyon riding and off pavement roads including low level river crossing. Lots of fun trying not to lose it in the moss and current. I cannot tell people enough good about this relatively unknown dual sport adventure riding experience. The GSA red pig was great as always. I would actually like to try similar riding here on the JH600.

AW, I have used the Porta-Jump on other motorcycles and a Navigator with great success. The size of the thing makes it easier to carry than a set of jumper cables. It is about the size of an old design cell phone. It is designed to default jump through the socket and that is what I did with the Navigator in the USA. I have always used the clips directly to the battery for motorcycles but got lazy this time. I did indeed learn my lesson. Go directly to the battery with the clips on motorcycles just in case they have the anti theft design. I have a normal battery charger than I now use in the house. I simply pull the battery out and charge it properly if I have been out a long time or know I am leaving for extended stay. I would still highly recommend the porta-jump for those that have limited access to place to charge a battery. Google it if curious. Just my 2 cents.

I arrived back in Nanjing Saturday. Fired up the JH600 and took it to get washed and ride around a little. I really notice the difference between the old rear suspension and the new one. I also like the easy adjustment capability farkel. As stated earlier, I am lazy sometimes and like to make things easy when I can. Franki set me up perfectly. I also want to thank your hard work again as I was able to simply bolt the Wilber shock in place with no interference from the bolt since they threaded the U-harness as suggested by you after your discussions. It was an easy fit! Good job on the R&D.

I also have the front springs and oil sourced by Franki and will try and get them in changed out at some point. I really miss having a shop or garage like yours. In Texas, this is easy but in Nanjing.......

Hope to enjoy some more riding this weekend.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #94 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    A big thanks to Pfaelzer and Franki!!!! It only took 2 years but I finally got the progressive springs these two gentlemen sourced for me from Wilbers installed! Took the bike out for a quick round of the nearest construction sites and the front end is now balanced with the rear Wilbers I installed a year ago. I also found the mechanic I have been looking for in Nanjing since 2006. It was a good day!

Anyone wanting to improve the suspension on their JH600, I highly suggest going to Franki to have him source front and back from Wilbers. Between Pfaelzer doing the R&D for Wilbers and Franki getting the complete package to me, installation for both front progressive springs and new rear shock went without any problems. Those of you in China surely understand the significance of this. Both ends of the suspension were simple installs with perfect fit. No grinding, drilling, etc. needed!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910