Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    Hi DT

I am 250km away from Lhasa in Qusong。 I have a broken chain & no 520 chain link available。 Will figure something out anyway。 haha
    If you have read my JH600 report YOU will find my comments about the Jialing pennier cases. It will not survive the western China roads.

Franki

2. #12 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    It is official!

I just got the bike delivered and assembled. The only hiccup was trying to get some gas as the state owned stations do not allow you to fill up hand held jerry cans. Problem resolved when I simply towed the bike to a gas station. The bike finish is not bad at all. I got the European version that is about the same seat height as my GSA. So far so good on performance and quality except for the plastic panniers. They look ok but are very flimsy. I figure I will buy a set of Aluminum ones from Franki or AW's supplier in the future. Overall, I am very pleasantly surprised.
    Attachment 1639Attachment 1640
    Sweet ride mate, I really like it.
    Sparky
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pulse Adrenaline 125 (XF125GY-2B)

3. #13 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    great stuff, and the blue looking good. you might like to edit your photos to rotate them. just view them in Microsoft windows photo/picture/image viewer and look for the two rotate buttons in the lower menu bar, rotate and save them, by overwriting the originals, then repost them here... it'll help. For now I have to put my head on the side to view them. phew!

When you say the panniers plastic is flimsy - what kind of plastic is it? is it the kind of plastic found on many cheap plastic items here including many motorscooter/motorcycle top boxes made here and moto helmets?

I've had many top boxes for my scooters in PRC, and basically all the standard ones were crap, with the exception of the standard ones used on the CFMoto scooters, and my ADLO topbox, which is manufactured by ADLO group down in Guangdong province http://www.adlo.net

When I first had my JinJian StarTrek 125cc scoot, I rode it from Ningbo - SH - Ningbo, many times and would usually do the return journey the same day. The standard top box on that vibrated and broke at the base multiple times, and I'd replace it via warranty. In the end I was fortunate to find a scooter workshop over in Pudong in Shnaghai and bought multiple parts, lighter flywheel, better brake pads, horns, and so forth. One of the better purchases I made was an ADLO topbox, which came with a quick-release mounting bracket, meaning I could remove the topbox using a key and the press of a button. The plastic is a totally different type, its not flimsy and has a kind of flex to it. I've used that topbox now for 2-3 years, ridden all kinds of roads and goat tracks with it, no worries at all. It fell off the back of my Dragstar 1100cc Classic one night, after I'd attached it to the rear on a wooden mounting base (don't ask was I was thinking). The wood snapped and the top box fell and slid down the road behind me after I'd ridden through a particularly rough road. The tobox stayed intact, albeit a few little abrasions, not even major scratches and I still use that same box -no worries.

I'm about to buy another ADLO for another bike. Aside from quality plastic construction the use of the quick-release mounting system is excellent, and I use it a lot when I do the longer rides on my Dragstar, pull up to hotels and simply turn the key & push a button and my topbox becomes my suitcase as I check in. Meanwhile most of the other guys still unstrapping gear from saddle-bags, packs strapped on rear seats etc.

Anyway sweet looking ride!

4. #14 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    It is official!

I just got the bike delivered and assembled. The only hiccup was trying to get some gas as the state owned stations do not allow you to fill up hand held jerry cans. Problem resolved when I simply towed the bike to a gas station. The bike finish is not bad at all. I got the European version that is about the same seat height as my GSA. So far so good on performance and quality except for the plastic panniers. They look ok but are very flimsy. I figure I will buy a set of Aluminum ones from Franki or AW's supplier in the future. Overall, I am very pleasantly surprised.
    They will usually allow you to use an approved fuel can. Many of the petrol-stations sell ugly rectangular steel 20-30-40L cans. But places like Metro and B&Q sell a nicer metal type that's more square and has a flexi-filling attachment. I have one and use it often for filling and carrying extra petrol in my car. Never had anyone refuse to fill it. Though an American mate was refused once when he tried to use a 2L empty Pepsi bottle. LOL.

Couple of questions.
    The wire wheel rims, are your tyres tubeless?
    I note than the rear exhaust/muffler exits at the rear under and on the right side of the seat, so what protection has the right pannier got if any?
    Centre stand is standard?
    Headlights, are they halogen or HID?What wattage are they? Have you ridden it at night, and if so how were the lights?

5. #15 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    OK Gents,
    I am glad there is so much interest.

I did read Franki's comments on the plastic panniers being flimsy but I bought the bike fully equipped to get other things already installed such as the engine guard, black frame, graphics, 12V Electrical outlet for GPS, Pannier support framework. I saw that AW and Franki had their's custom built. I had a hard enough time finding a guy who understood that a set of tools required more than 2 vise grips and a hammer so I elected to get the fully loaded version knowing some things would not last. So far, I only see that the plastic panniers themselves are not up to the design level I need. Everything else is pretty good on the Euro model.

The standard lights I have are good at night. To be honest, I have not really looked. Pretty sure they are not halogen though. I am happy with the performance whatever they are.

The center stand is included

Based on the threaded valve stem, I am sure my tires have tubes. Sorry, but everything in the manual is in Chinese and I have not studied it with my wife around to translate. I wanted to ride more than learn this last weekend.

Sorry about the pictures, I have no patience with Microsoft ar any software packages for that matter. I will try and figure out a way to fix per the instuctions given when I have some time.

and finally, Franki, you are correct about the cans but becasue of the expo in Shanghai?, three different Nanjing gas stations would not leven et me buy cans to fill a liter, I live in a logic free zone. They said it was for security. As noted by you, sometimes it is easier to accept and find another way which I did.

Bottom line the bike is pretty good. Especially considering the limited options here in China.

DT

6. #16 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I had that jerrycan thing in Shanghai and Kunming as I was buying fuel for the RC Toy. So I assume thats nationwide and not Expo related, I had this situation years back already.
    You must come with a REGISTERED vehicle - a bicycle or unregistered whatever doesnt count. They have to note down your registration, no registration they cant fill their book...cant sell you fuel...
    Ask another guy to drive you there, ask a taxi, ask somebody of the other customers, they get a registration number to note down. They just have to fill thier papers. TIC

7. #17 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    The JH600 comes with tube tires - AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

8. #18 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    OK Gents,

Sorry about the pictures, I have no patience with Microsoft ar any software packages for that matter. I will try and figure out a way to fix per the instuctions given when I have some time.

DT
    xD I understand that. Don't worry about quality of pictures, every picture is better than no pictures at all. So please keep them coming and no worries.

9. #19 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    So, Aggie, are you flying around Jiangsu with no plates on that steed?

Glad to see your reaction to the bike is similar to mine: Good, clean fun!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: The first JH600 in Nanjing? 
    jkp,
    I am bending a rule or two and riding without for a few days. I have carried the sales contract with me as I understand this gives me a bit of grace time. The wife is on the registration detail as I type this and I should have the plate, insurance, tax paid, etc this week. I am really not too worried. I rode the Chang Jiang for 6 months without a plate and the local police only yelled a bit and told me to go get one. Once I got the plate they were happy. I mainly want to be legal so I can ride longer distances as I think I can trust the JH600 modern technology more than the old Chang Jiang 750 WWII technology. More time riding and less time working on it.

I have done nothing to the bike yet. I have a new muffler from Franki and a new shock and springs coming. But to be honest, the Euro model has a pretty decent suspension out of the box. Making it taller may have worked well to improve this from the ride AW had? I am still trying to identify shop to install the new and improved springs and rear shock as I agree it could be better. I was just pleasantly surprised with the standard units.

I am looking at around RMB13000 for plate, taxes, and insurance here in Nanjing so I am holding off on new Panniers and maybe wheels for few weeks. My monthly fun funds is depleted till I ride the bike around a bit and decide the next priority.

Look forward to meeting up with some of you guys in the future for a mountain dirt road ride or two.

DT

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast