Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Add-on Tachometers? 
    Hey guys, I was looking at Country Cruiser's Lifan 250 and remembered that these bikes only have speedos. Some of the C-Moto dual-sports also don't come with tachs.

Anyone out there know how to add a tachometer? I see them for sale in catalogs but was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with it or a good working knowledge of what's involved in such an operation.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

I haven't got any first hand experience with this, but there was a recent thread on the American Lifan forum about this, http://www.americanlifan.com/lifan3/...opic.php?t=335

Looks like the install shouldn't be too complicated as long as it's hooked into the ignition system correctly.

Auto-meter makes a bunch of sweet gauges but they're uber-expensive. Saw what looks like a functional one with a white face for 70USD on Ebay. I'm surprised there's not more available. Hmmm...

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Tachometer 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    It's a long shot, but on my PGO buggy (Kymco 250 scooter engine) the CDI box has an extra unused wire that feeds the tachometer for scooter aplication.

There's a unconnected wire coloured black with yellow tracer that provides an easy signal for a home-made tachometer. It is used on some scooters fitted with these engines, for example the Kymco and Daelim 250's.

The wire provides a positive output with respect to chasis (negative) that gives a linear one volt per 1000 rpm, so if you only want to connect a tacho for diagnostic or adjustment purposes, clip a multimeter switched to the 0-10 or 0-20 DC Volt range to read revs per minute directly.

If you can find a robust and reasonably well weather-proofed meter that reads, say, 0 to 10 Volts DC it can be fixed permanently somewhere on the bike.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have tacho on my bike, but let say for somebody who don't or for some reason want to replace original (its borken or looks ugly) I will go for TRAIL TECH VECTOR COMPUTER KIT. For my opinion its good looking solution.

* The latest concept in Motorsport on-board computation.
    * Each feature of this 4th generation product is carefully crafted and constructed with the off-road enthusiast in mind.
    * Features: Speedometer, Tachometer, Temperature, Distance, and a Clock.
    * Included power connection fits all machines.
    * Accepts any power input - AC/DC.
    * Auto switch to internal power if external is removed.
    * Permanent memory guarantees data is never lost.
    * All parts included to complete installation.
    As well you can ask the questions here if have some doupts and look at it: http://www.motosport.com/offroad/product/TRAIL-TECH-VECTOR-COMPUTER-KIT/?catalogId=110153&refine=1&catID=70&pcatID=4&catNa me=Lights+and+Electrical&srchHistoryURL=cs6kdob9|| parentCategoryID~1^superParentCategoryID~category_ root^parentCategoryName~Dirt^categoryID~4^category Name~Dirt%20Bike%20Parts@oyn70yct||parentCategoryI D~4^categoryID~70^categoryName~Lights%20and%20Elec trical
    Attached Images

vladg,

that is freakin' sweet! and the price is right! for a minute i read your post to say you had this installed on your motorcycle!

i was already to post "where are the pics man!"

i would put this on mine in a heartbeat if it would not cover up the gear selection display. i love that feature on our bikes. i use it a lot!

it took me a loooong time to get used to the speedo on the xf200 because has kph outside and mph inside and it was hard to read. it is very small. i am used to it now.

but to the tach point. it is very important on these 200cc power plants. i mean in fifth gear with the throttle pegged i am at between 7,100 and 7,900 rpm depending if going up or down a hill for instance. but i use it to determine shift point from 4th to 5th. just a good reference point. mainly use the sound of the motor.

I know I would be very disappointed to be without a tachometer.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by volksjagger View Post
    i would put this on mine in a heartbeat if it would not cover up the gear selection display. i love that feature on our bikes. i use it a lot!
    Same here!!!, I first saw these digital gear indicators on friends Suzukis of the late 70's, how we laughed at the utter uselessness of that device.
    Now when I ride my Yamaha XV1100 my gear changing is all over the place and really miss that thing on the Qingqi.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by volksjagger View Post
    Same here!!!, I first saw these digital gear indicators on friends Suzukis of the late 70's, how we laughed at the utter uselessness of that device.
    Now when I ride my Yamaha XV1100 my gear changing is all over the place and really miss that indicator as fitted to my Qingqi.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY