Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Shandong Ride

1. #1 Shandong Ride 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob French_Rider's Avatar
    Hey everyone,

I am planning a small nice ride to Shandong (where I never been) on my Wonjan/Suzuki 250 cruiser.

I plan 6 days for that, from sunday afternoon (after leaving work at 3pm) to saturday afternoon/evening, as follows:
    - sunday: arrive in Tianjin
    - monday: take the highway and arrive in Dongying (Shandong), approx. 290km
    - tuesday: go to Weifang and do some sightseeing (if there is to be done)
    - wednesday: reach the coast a bit north of Qingdao to ride along the coast before arriving (on Google Map, I see a road reaching the coast at Hengmen Wan)
    - thursday: spend the day and evening in Qingdao
    - friday: go back to Dongying
    - Saturday:leave early and reach Beijing by the highway (approx. 450km)

As I never been there (just checked maps on internet), I may not have the best itinerary possible; so if anyone has suggestions that match my time constraint, they're warmly welcomed. Basically, I plan to take the highway (if I can) to cross Hebei on the way and back, and smaller (hopefully nicer) roads in Shandong.

I also have a few questions:
    1) is it allowed to ride in Tianjin? I heard different things about it. Sorry if it's covered elsewhere on this site. I have a 京A and papers/driver license.
    2) which part of the coast in shandong is the coolest to ride along? Between the one I mention and the north shore (Longkou->Yantai)

Thanks to everyone

2. #2 Re: Shandong Ride 
    October Holyday Ride to Qingdao, Shandong
    By SabineHartmann in forum Ride Reports and Meetings

check it out, here you can find more information. we haven`t been allowed to enter the Highway on the Way back in Qingdao. you must cross Hebei Border to do so. the Coastline arround Qingdao is very beautiful but the Landscape between Tianjin and Yellow River is only flat and dusty.

3. #3 Re: Shandong Ride 
    One of the highlights of Shandong riding is the central mountainous area that runs south of Jinan to Taian and particularly the northern side of Taishan, through far northern Laiwu district and across to Zibo district to Boshan and then to Yiyuan. Thus making your route avoid Weifang and running maybe 100kms further south than your original plan. Either that or hook up on the yellow river and follow the coast from near Dongying across to Weihai and through Laoshan into Qingdao. It depends on your time limit.

4. #4 Re: Shandong Ride 
    thanks for the input.

Sabine, I'll check the video (again, as I already had a quick look when u posted it last year ;-)

ZMC888, I do want to see the nice inland roads, so I might well follow your advice, but maybe on the way back to Beijing since I feel I want to ride along the coast with Qingdao as destination, not as point of departure. Do 3 days from Qingdao to Beijing seem realistic to you (one to reach Laiwu, one riding the smaller roads in the area you mention between Laiwu and Zibo district and the last one to cover the distance btw Yellow River and Beijing)?

Thank you all, I'll post pics of the trip for sure

5. #5 Re: Shandong Ride 
    Keep away from Laiwu city and Jinan city as they are really big and poorly signed. Also avoid northern Zibo district. Although you can aim for Yiyuan (Zibo district), Boshan (Zibo district), Ming Shui (Jinan district) down to the northern side of Taishan and back up to Jinan then find your way back to Beijing. Best if you have a GPS or Shandong road map and compass as the signing is terrible!

6. #6 Re: Shandong Ride 
    Hi again. Thanks for the additional info.

I just happen to have more days for the trip, and depending on people I know or will stay at, I have my trip planned so far until Qingdao, that I will reach on Thursday (leaving Beijing on Monday) after having ridden along the coast (Sanshandao, Penglai, Yantai, Weihai).

After that, I'll see based on what you told me, I am seeing 3 or 4 days to come back to Beijing through the nice mountainous area (and highway after Jinan), with possibly a stop in Tianjin.

I'll post some pics here afterwards if that's of interest ;-)