Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Air filter and battery modification. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi!

Yesterday I wrote that I would like to change the location of the battery. It is placed opposit from exhausts muffler. As you can see in this picture under the back plastics.
    If you really need an explanation why do I want to do it, I'll do.

I removed plastics and the seat. I think that the place of air filter box could be good for the battery. But if I change the place of battery, I need to remove the air filter box and attach good and small air filter directly to carb.
    The place will be enough and practically it is easy to do.
    But may I do this modification? I think, will the engine work properly without any problems? I know that I'll have to regulate the carb.
    Some pictures:
    125gy_airfilter..jpg

If the modification is correct, could you please advise any air filters which could be the best for this mod? K&N or twin air or other and what model?

2. #2 Re: Air filter and battery modification. 
    Enduro bikes have the air filter concealed for a reason. At times things can get a little bit muddy, and by then you deffo don't want custom street bike style air filters. The concept of hiding the air filter is good design. This I am sure you know though. In my opinion you should not do the mod even if you don't do muddy driving. The current design might be superior, why make it worse just because of the battery? Why make the bike slightly unbalanced and ruin the fine air filter concealment?

3. #3 Re: Air filter and battery modification. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for advise. I thought that it could be a reckless modification..

4. #4 Re: Air filter and battery modification. 
    Seems a bit of a pointless exercise from here, only because we don't know your thinking! But I am intrigued to know why you would want to move the battery? I may do the same sometime on my bike as the existing battery carrier is too small for a bigger battery that I want and for 12 volt gear I want to add. You can always work something out with a bit of ingenuity and tools (or mates with tools!)
    Airflow to these bikes isn't as critical as in EFI machines with their sensors and so on, but you do want and need good airflow of course, it is an essential part of fuel combustion! Nothing to stop you playing with pipes, filter sponge and position, you could have a snorkel if you wished! But you must allow for whatever you do not to constrict the flow and as Moilami points out very rightly, the whole point of a filter is to stop crap getting in so you need it to be as least as good as original without lessening the flow, especially off road in dust. Hope that makes sense.

5. #5 Re: Air filter and battery modification. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    There are several reasons why do I want to do this mod. It would make better look of the bike and now I really don't like the view of the battery and it is not safe too because of crime, maybe not in your country, but in my bad things happen.

6. #6 Re: Air filter and battery modification. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Valts View Post
    There are several reasons why do I want to do this mod. It would make better look of the bike and now I really don't like the view of the battery and it is not safe too because of crime, maybe not in your country, but in my bad things happen.
    Well that is the way all over the world now. Here they are just as likely to put the whole bike in the back of a 'ute or a van ... or steal the wheels. I understand what you mean then by hiding the battery under the saddle but most saddle locks can be opened with a screwdriver or by punching hard behind the saddle so it is forced forward - and you also have to be sure there is space above the battery and no chance of the leads/terminals touching metal when you do it. I think you may have to spend a few hours at a motorcycle scrap yard looking for bits you can adapt with a little ingenuity and perhaps a friendly welder.

It isn't very expensive to get a GPS tracker, if I lived in the city I would definately have one even on a china-bike.

7. #7 Re: Air filter and battery modification. 
    I got my bike nicked a few weeks ago. And have since discovered GPS trackers. I will for sure be adding one to any future bikes!!!!

8. #8 Re: Air filter and battery modification. 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Kiamo,

There's more than one thread on GPS trackers in MCM, but they are a bit old and stale. It's a great topic, and folks who have them swear by them. If and when you get one, please post up about it in the longer and fresher of those threads. I'm interested.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: Air filter and battery modification.