Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    Wow, thanks guys for all the great advice. CrazyCarl, I'll be sure to watch out on the way uop to the border. Tokyokid, I've taken that road by car before, it's very intense. Altitude sickness is something we really need to be careful with.

Cheers,
    Ryan Pyle
    Photographer / Film Maker / Adventurer / Motorcycle Rider
    www.ryanpyle.com
    NEW PROJECT: www.mkride.com
    ryan@ryanpyle.com

2. #22 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyokid View Post
    G219 in Tibet is perfect to drive in September, dry and no rain at all.

btw:
    Please pay attention that the beginning of the G219 from Xinjiang into Tibet has a crazy altitude increase. On just 220 km it climbs from under 1400m to over 5000m!!!
    This can end up deadly if you don’t come prepared.
    What about snow.

We where getting snow down to 2000mtrs in the Tian shan last September.

3. #23 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanjpyle View Post
    Wow, thanks guys for all the great advice. CrazyCarl, I'll be sure to watch out on the way uop to the border. Tokyokid, I've taken that road by car before, it's very intense. Altitude sickness is something we really need to be careful with.
    Hi Ryan,

try to take Diamox a day before you get to higher elevations. It helped my family (wife and 14 year old son at that time) enormously on our second trip to Lhasa flying in directly from Hong Kong. On our first visit thin air knocked us out for two days... So Diamox for us really helped. Of course still need to take it easy at the beginning and drink lot's of water...

Your homepage is growing nicely - time must be flying for you now...
    Cheers,
    AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

4. #24 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    C-Moto Noob
    This sounds very interesting! Good luck!
    20k in 60 days sounds quite tough, that is 330km per day, not including non-ride days.

5. #25 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    Hello,

Tare, thanks for your concern. My brother Colin and I have decided to extend our trip to around 70-75 days to help break it up a little bit. That brings the km per day down to a more manageable 270km per day. With that being said this is going to be an epic bike ride with a lot of long days on the bike. Not easy. We appreciate your support.
    Ryan Pyle
    www.ryanpyle.com
    ryan@ryanpyle.com

6. #26 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    Hi folks,

I just wanted to write and thank everyone for their interest in my trip, and for all the support everyone has offered. It's a great feeling to have the China riding community behind such a journey. I just wanted to give everyone an update as to where we are at the moment. Our departure date is still Sunday August 15th 2010, we'll leave from Shanghai and head north. Our goal is still to complete the circumnavigation of China (counter clockwise) in 60-70 days. You can of course follow our journey and learn more about our journey at www.mkride.com.

At the moment we have secured full sponsorship from Touratech, for aftermarket equipment, and BMW. Touratech deserve special thanks as they were the first people to really believe in our trip and we are forever grateful to them, and the wonderful quality of their equipment. BMW have only recently joined us as sponsors, supplying 2 F800GS motorcycles as well as full rider clothing and equipment. A very special thanks goes out to BMW Munich for their wonderful support. Other sponsors include: Airhawk, Pelican, Lowepro, Oakley, Mandarin House, Cardo Systems and Kodak.

With just 38 days to go before our departure from Shanghai you can imagine we are in a mad scramble to get everything ready for our trip. It won’t really be an easy process but I’ll do my best to keep everyone posted. On a side note I’ve had to important an insane amount of equipment to complete this journey and if anyone is interested in getting a run down of what we imported and how we did it you can check out our website or contact me directly. The purpose of this journey is to test what is possible, and share it with as many people as possible.

Your support is much appreciated.
    Ryan Pyle
    www.ryanpyle.com
    ryan@ryanpyle.com

7. #27 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    Wow, nice going on getting your sponsorship!

I'm sure you don't want to reveal all your secrets, but could you explain a little about how you approach a major company like BMW and get them to furnish the motorcycles. Does it require some inside introductions? Do you get to keep the bikes after the tour? What kind of standard does BMW have for qualifying the return on investment in this case?

I'm not surprised you have to import everything, most of the quality stuff is not represented at all in China. I sometimes forget how much benefit there is to having Hong Kong so close. Must be difficult with the Expo and all going on in Shanghai.

Good luck with your preparations, I'm in the middle of the same thing right now as I prepare for a two month USA ride starting next week. Although, it is a bit easier to plan a relaxed vacation tour in ones home country.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #28 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    ChinaV,

I think the Touratech sponsorship and the BMW bikes and equipment came together because of the television series that we are producing from our journey. I believe that is the only reason that they've supported us is because they see marketing dollars being well spent on us. Without the TV deal I am sure they would not have supported us. I can only imagine how many "free bike" requests they must get per year.

I had no "insider" angle in dealing with BMW, the process started over 3 months ago by emailing the info@bmw.de mail box with a proposal of my expedition and show; it's been an insane process, but we got the result we were looking for. I feel it will be a win-win situation for everyone. We will get to keep the bikes after the tour.

Importing everything has been really difficult, Shanghai Expo or no Expo. Everything has been stuck in customs for weeks, even sponsored equipment. The process has been exhausting. More on that over a few cold beers.
    Ryan Pyle
    www.ryanpyle.com
    ryan@ryanpyle.com

9. #29 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    Thank you sir for the great reply, guess I can stop writing that request letter to KTM

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #30 Re: The Middle Kingdom Ride 
    ChinaV,
    I think that KTM have no presence in China, and I am not even sure that you could get a KTM licensed and registered here. Maybe if, in your letter or phone call to them, you explained how you want to pioneer the KTM brand in China and get Chinese riders excited about KTM bikes you might get some good responses from them. I've never seen a KTM in China. Are they street legal? Can you register them properly?
    Ryan Pyle
    www.ryanpyle.com
    ryan@ryanpyle.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast