Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    Greetings everyone!

Before now I've had a Superbyke RMR 125 which was unfortunately stolen last September, but have since gone and bought another chinese bike in the last few weeks, a TMEC 125-1. Picked it up for 360 GBP with 700 miles on the clock.

The only modifications i've made so far is replaced the lights with LED equivalents, removed a painful indicator noise that sounds much like a lorry reversing, and before purchase it has had the chain replaced.

So far i've been rather disappointed with it's torque as opposed to my RMR, it seems to fly through the gears, but lacks a lot of top end in comparison.

Firstly I intend to ensure that the exhaust is sealed properly as I have noticed rust where the pipe connects to the can, and it also seems far too loud for a standard can at present, so am hoping fixing the compression with some exhaust putty would help a lot with the top end.

The next job I have planned however is to fit a new air filter and re-jet the carb, i've got a pretty basic understanding of it all after cleaning out the carb when I bought the bike, just to ensure it was all clean as it had been sat in a garage for 6 months. This is the air filter i'm looking at; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Kawasaki...#ht_2675wt_911
    and the size of the jet I was thinking, is to go up to 105.

The only problem I have is that the standard box filter seems to have lots of small pipes out of it connecting onto the engine, and I'm just a bit concerned as to what these pipes are for, and would love it if any of you could help me out here?

Many thanks!

2. #2 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    Hmm, it seems you have some kind of emission regulation hacks there. They do those in order to pass emission regulations. It seems yours pull additional air inside the engine, making the exhaust less strong and as a consequence making your bike run lean because of the extra air. There should be only one air intake for your engine, the carburator. So you should seal firmly all other air intakes to the engine. BEWARE HOWEVER: By all means I am not an expert, wait for some expert to confirm this before doing anything based on what I say.

(I am myself having air filter challenges now too, today was preparing my bike for about 700km journey which would possibly ended up to be 1000km journey. Then chose to check what maintenance I can do to the air filter, but when I saw the air filter design I had to cancel my journey at once. I have been told that it is not as bad as it looks, but I wont do any serious driving before I have improved it.)

3. #3 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Splid View Post
    So far i've been rather disappointed with it's torque as opposed to my RMR, it seems to fly through the gears, but lacks a lot of top end in comparison.

Firstly I intend to ensure that the exhaust is sealed properly as I have noticed rust where the pipe connects to the can, and it also seems far too loud for a standard can at present, so am hoping fixing the compression with some exhaust putty would help a lot with the top end.
    the Gear ratio on these bike never suits UK's case. Pls play the "Sprockets" game

4. #4 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    Many thanks for the swift replies!

Going to have a much more in depth look at the air filter system when I have a day off on Saturday to see how if it fits your description and will keep this thread up to date!

And with the sprockets, I took this into consideration before but havn't had the time yet to see what ratio it is currently running, but again, if I get the time on Saturday I will most certainly look more into depth on this to see what it is at present.

Will keep you all up to date :)

5. #5 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    C-Moto Noob
    hey dude got the same bike but in black and gold...the air filter that u what to use work's a treet... got one on mine.....i'am looking to change exhoust...any help would be good... all the tube don't do any thing...

6. #6 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    those pipes your talking are also attached to the egr (exhaust gas recycling valve ) and they are there for the emissions i have just brought one also
    on another note where do you guys get spares for these

7. #7 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    You'll have a crank-case vent pipe going into your air box. This allows any combustion gasses that make it past the piston rings to escape from the crankcase and be recirculated through the carb again. Put a small filter on that line. You may also have a pipe going to a secondary air injection system that injects air into the exhaust manifold on idle. Again, slap a small filter on that pipe if you detach it from your airbox.

8. #8 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Since ive had my tmec 125 instead of trying to chase the dealer up for exspensive and time consuming parts e.g - 4 weeks for a speedo cable :/ i just take the parts off the bike and go to my local mixed dealership - yamaha,suzuki,honda and ask them to match parts up.... dont get nothing done unless you do it yourself to be honest :) but has anyone done a exhaust change and air filter change to aftermarket performance ones?? as i would like to know how the bike goes after these mods have been done :) any replys would be great guys and also thanks in advance

9. #9 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    just something ive noticed on this ebay page that you are going to buy 4 air filters for a single carb single cylinder bike better off searching for a gs125 or gn 125 air filter as long as the boot is the right sive your laughing

10. #10 Re: TMEC 125-1 Air Filter and Re-Jet? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Any ideas what carbs these are running? I got a polini filter with an arrow exhaust on mine? And its bogging in first big time? Any ideas would help.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast