Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    When I arrived in China, I never thought I would ride a motorcycle, much less on a race bike and on the same race track ridden by the world professionals at Moto GP. This was a track day to be remembered. The Shanghai International Circuit is a state of the art facility with all the bells and whistles; close circuit TV; full electronic control center; silky smooth payment; a loooooooong back straight to top out the bike way before the brake markers, capable of reaching speeds of 200+mph. This was like playing ball at Wrigley Field!

BG-Performance is just starting to organize track days in Shanghai. Motorsport recreation still in it's infancy in China. For a city of 20 Million people there only were 2 Australians; 1 Brit; 1 French; 2 US (me included); 2 Hong Kong; 2 Taiwain; 3 Chinese. BG provided EVERYTHING. I was on a 05 YAMAHA R6 race bike with Michelin Power One's and the two mechanics were on hand to make any adjustment I asked for. For a minute, I thought I had my own race team. I(#25) put on my best Valentino Rossi impression. However his lap times are in the 1:50's compared to my 2:40's.

BG is hosting it again on June 27th. I'll be there again; would love to meet some of you there. This THE place to satisfy your speed addiction, not only in China but for the rest of the world.

FUN FUN FUN

photos:
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BbMmTNo2bMWTg

BG-Performance info:
    http://www.bg-performance.com/2006/performance/pnews.asp?id=244

http://www.bg-performance.com/2006/p...etails-eng.asp

Track Info
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangha...tional_Circuit

2. #2 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    Very cool thanks of the information. I will soon have to begin to look for a job from China.

3. #3 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iw84u View Post
    When I arrived in China, I never thought I would ride a motorcycle, much less on a race bike and on the same race track ridden by the world professionals at Moto GP. This was a track day to be remembered. The Shanghai International Circuit is a state of the art facility with all the bells and whistles; close circuit TV; full electronic control center; silky smooth payment; a loooooooong back straight to top out the bike way before the brake markers, capable of reaching speeds of 200+mph. This was like playing ball at Wrigley Field!

BG-Performance is just starting to organize track days in Shanghai. Motorsport recreation still in it's infancy in China. For a city of 20 Million people there only were 2 Australians; 1 Brit; 1 French; 2 US (me included); 2 Hong Kong; 2 Taiwain; 3 Chinese. BG provided EVERYTHING. I was on a 05 YAMAHA R6 race bike with Michelin Power One's and the two mechanics were on hand to make any adjustment I asked for. For a minute, I thought I had my own race team. I(#25) put on my best Valentino Rossi impression. However his lap times are in the 1:50's compared to my 2:40's.

BG is hosting it again on June 27th. I'll be there again; would love to meet some of you there. This THE place to satisfy your speed addiction, not only in China but for the rest of the world.

FUN FUN FUN

photos:
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BbMmTNo2bMWTg

BG-Performance info:
    http://www.bg-performance.com/2006/performance/pnews.asp?id=244

http://www.bg-performance.com/2006/p...etails-eng.asp

Track Info
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangha...tional_Circuit
    Great stuff, the F1 circuit in Jiading, SH sure is a nice one. Problem being is that it's harder to get to by motorcycle, and the navigating there is definitely not biker friendly. As an out-of-towner I prefer to ride to TianMa circuit in the south western reaches of Shanghai. It's way more biker friendly, since there are no bike restrictions as its on the outskirts of Shanghai central, there are many more track days there. Tianma circuit can be rented for the day at an affordable cost and there are at least a few biker orientated shops and the like based there, so one can also do a little bike related shopping.
    No disrespect to the Shanghai International circuit... but I favour TianMa for the reasons outlined.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-17-2010 at 12:17 AM.

4. #4 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    moilami, you looking for work in China? i am in the same boat. which city are you in?

bikerdoc, you are right, Tian Ma is a great little track, but you only get to 3rd gear. i hit 270kmph on the back straight at F1.

i took the #11 metro to the circuit; 15min walk to the inside. i don't have a bike to ride to the track. you are a lucky dog. what's your ride?

5. #5 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    moilami, you looking for work in China? i am in the same boat. which city are you in?

bikerdoc, you are right, Tian Ma is a great little track, but you only get to 3rd gear. i hit 270kmph on the back straight at F1.

i took the #11 metro to the circuit; 15min walk to the inside. i don't have a bike to ride to the track. you are a lucky dog. what's your ride?

6. #6 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    C-Moto Noob
    Tianma is equally as bad as the F1 Circuit as Tianma also are very busy booked by the car factories,
    Tianma refuse to give us any advance notice more then 5-6 days making using the track very hard.

Also Tianma although is not a high speed track but its actually quite unsafe as there is a wall around the whole circuit and mostly piss poor run offs areas. we'd been very lucky that no major injuries has happened.

All China circuits including Beijing, Chengdu and even many of the smaller Gokart spec tracks are all commercially orientated as these Car factory bookings are much much more lucrutive then letting a few bikers using their track !!! Zhuhai is about the only circuit that has fixed open track time for the teams but again, Zhuhai has over 50 x 2/4 Wheels teams based inside the circuit so a open weekend for testing do gave good revenue.

No matter what, we need more bikers to participate in these activities so that the Circuit will see that we do have the numbers to make it worthwhile.

7. #7 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    Well at the moment I don't live in China.

8. #8 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Great stuff, the F1 circuit in Pudong sure is a nice one.
    Did they recently moved the F1 circuit from Shanghai (Jiading district) to Pudong, makes me wonder?!
    Drove along the A5 expressway two weeks ago and the F1 circuit was still in Shanghai (Jiading district).

Ride safe! Pal

9. #9 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    Did they recently moved the F1 circuit from Shanghai (Jiading district) to Pudong, makes me wonder?!
    Drove along the A5 expressway two weeks ago and the F1 circuit was still in Shanghai (Jiading district).
    Ride safe! Pal
    opps, typo. my mistake!

10. #10 Re: Track Day at Shanghai International Circuit 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by best View Post
    No matter what, we need more bikers to participate in these activities so that the Circuit will see that we do have the numbers to make it worthwhile.
    agree 100%