Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: China by Sidecar! (Help Requested) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dkoerner View Post
    We contacted Big Bill in Beijing and he has been very helpful. We hope to start our trip August 6th, so hopefully he can help us out. Plan is to head north and then follow the great wall east to 山海关 and Qinhuangdao. After that, we can wrap around the coast to Northeast. Does anyone have route suggestions or things we need to see along the way? Our trip should be anywhere from five days to 17, depending on how the bikes hold up (and how the riders hold up), but hopefully longer.
    Hi David

I am glad Bill could help out. He's respected by the Beijing expat community who like the 24/32 HP Changs.

Interesting time frame and proposed area of travel. Sabine Hartman has posted a video somewhere on this site about a recent sidecar trip she did out that way. Her and her husband are good resources, and also very approachable. They have his/her BMW/Chang sidecars.

I've been along the North Korean border ... interesting ride, but incredibly depressing. Not too far, actually. If you're around that area, Dandong is worthwhile. Just be damn careful with that border, though.

I'm evaluating a few bikes right now for a commercial tour operation, and will be riding around those areas at about the same time, so we might be able to hook up. I have oodles of experience with Changs, and I can bring along a full tool kit ... which, for a Chang, is just a ballpeen hammer, two rolls of duct tape and a very large bottle of Chinese "moonshine".

Cheers
    Richard

2. #12 Re: China by Sidecar! (Help Requested) 
    in May 2010 we have been on a tour to Baidahe. very strange road conditions out there.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-Day-Ride-2010
    wish you a fine time and when you are in Beijing, let`s sit down to have a beer or two !!

3. #13 Re: China by Sidecar! (Help Requested) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    It was nice riding with you yesterday David (btw, I was the old guy pickin' up the rear on the JH600 ) I was pleasantly surprised at how effortlessly you handled the Chang.

Happy riding!

Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12