Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Bikes in China

1. #1 Bikes in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello, I'm looking for some reliable information regarding motorbikes in China. I'm just about to buy my first ever bike and in a couple of years want to do a cross country trip.

I know I need to get it registered and plated to travel on toll roads, but do all roads allow bikes, and if so, do they have to be of a certain size and above? Or do (some) cities require them to be below a certain size?

I'm thinking a powerful dirt bike might be a good idea seeing as there is such a variety of terrain, but I would also like to buy a big street/cruiser type machine, 1000cc plus (not yet, in time). If I did, would I be able to ship it out the country when I leave? Also what are the +s and -s of this type of bike? I live in China and am not planning on leaving for at least 2 years.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Anyone here in or know about biking contacts in Dongying, Shandong Province?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'm just getting started with bikes and would like to be able to know where to go to get reliable information.

Thank you.

2. #2 Re: Bikes in China 
    Hi there. The answers are yes and no to all your questions .... .
    ALL the information you want is in these pages I am sure .... but you will have to do searches using keywords to find the threads, start here:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/fo...-Making-Tracks
    and read the 'sticky' threads at the top. Having done that, you can ask anything specific to you from within these threads, or politely PM the folk that have made relevant posts. Then have a good read of the JH600 thread, only 25 pages
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...0-My-new-JH600
    Good luck.

3. #3 Re: Bikes in China 
    Blue, you're based in Dongying? I'm based in Zibo just 100kms south of you.

Toll roads are free for bikes, and expressways ban bikes. Shandong does not usually register bigger bikes except Harley Davidson through the Qingdao dealership. There are bigger bikes around but some of them have no plates/fake plates and clone plates.

If you have a lot of money you may be able to find a 2nd hand dual sport BMW with legal out of province plates.

There is almost certainly a Yamaha dealership in Dongying, you can order a YBR250, or buy a YBR125 off the shop floor. Sundiro Honda CBF150 is a good bike too, but these are street bikes.

Other than that there is Qingqi and Galaxy dual sport 250cc which can both be registered in Shandong, and Jialing JH600, which might need to be registered outside Shandong.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #4 Re: Bikes in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    [QUOTE=ZMC888;14470]Blue, you're based in Dongying? I'm based in Zibo just 100kms south of you.

Ah good, when I get something I'll be heading down to Linzi. I've got a friend and work colleague there, so it would be good to hook up if you want. We can arrange that off-list.

Toll roads are free for bikes, and expressways ban bikes. Shandong does not usually register bigger bikes except Harley Davidson through the Qingdao dealership. There are bigger bikes around but some of them have no plates/fake plates and clone plates.

OK, are there any advantages to registering and getting plates? Would it be necessary if I wanted to ride outside of Shandong? I assume there are still plenty of roads for the expressway ban not to be a problem?

If you have a lot of money you may be able to find a 2nd hand dual sport BMW with legal out of province plates.

There's such a difference here to the West. Back in the UK everything can be found on the net. Here you have to know who's who and what's what personally. I wouldn't know where to start looking to find such a thing. Is there a buy n sell section on this site?

There is almost certainly a Yamaha dealership in Dongying, you can order a YBR250, or buy a YBR125 off the shop floor. Sundiro Honda CBF150 is a good bike too, but these are street bikes.

Haven't come across one - can't find it on the Yamaha website either.

5. #5 Re: Bikes in China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks

6. #6 Re: Bikes in China 
    OK, are there any advantages to registering and getting plates? Would it be necessary if I wanted to ride outside of Shandong? I assume there are still plenty of roads for the expressway ban not to be a problem?
    Many many locals in Shandong do not have plates, this also means no insurance. This is fine if you live in a certain small city and have your friend in the local Gong An on speed-dial. However if you were in a medium/small/large city during a purge on illegal bikes you could have your bike confiscated, this would be very likely if you rode into Beijing and may also get you into hot water in Qingdao and Jinan. Also you would get into serious problems if you hurt someone, especially over the drink drive limit, especially with no license and with no insurance on an illegal bike, could mean deportation and/or prison.

Haven't come across one - can't find it on the Yamaha website either.
    The shop may have 'Jianshe' on the front or sell a mixture of bikes, keep looking, you should find a shop in the new or old part of Dongying. If you can't find it there are certainly Wuyang Honda and Sundiro Honda bikes available. If you are planning to learn to ride in China these bikes are the best option, small (125-150cc), reliable and legal. Think about something bigger when you have more experience and a clear understanding of the roads you will ride on.

There's such a difference here to the West. Back in the UK everything can be found on the net. Here you have to know who's who and what's what personally. I wouldn't know where to start looking to find such a thing. Is there a buy n sell section on this site?
    There is a classified section on this site where big bikes can be found.

Please read some of the sticky threads on 'Ride Prep and Making Tracks'.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

7. #7 Re: Bikes in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Nice to meet you. My moto is XTR250, but do not know with what method can contact you. My MSN: gdgoujun@hotmail.com QQ 278729346 network communication tools (China) I'm looking forward to your reply. You can also write me. Thank you
    cheers001..jpg