Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by bmold View Post
    Thanks, I was wondering how to go about getting a foreigner's Chinese name on an official document, being as there is no official instance of a randomly chosen name...
    Actually, if you have a Chinese name that you regularly use, you can often include this on application forms for various documents. Certainly include it upon arrival when you register with the police, as your temporary residential police registration is often accepted for many administrative purposes. It'll be a printed document in Chinese and English with all your vitals -- passport name and number, visa type, number and expiration, your local address and your name in Chinese. Here in Shanghai, some foreigners have managed to use this to establish the link between their foreign name and their Chinese name, which the motor vehicle computers want to see.

Another document that generally carries both names, thereby establishing that you and Wang Laowai are one and the same, is your work permit. Be sure when you apply for that document that it includes both your legal foreign (passport) name and your established Chinese name. If you have any expired documents from your previous residence in China (Henan, right?) that show both names, this could be of some help. Stick to the same Chinese name; don't go changing it because your new girlfriend wants to.

Finally, if you've never established a Chinese name, put some thought into it and do so now, before you arrive. You don't want some motor vehicle bureau hack dreaming one up for you.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #42 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Do you still need to have a Shanghai Residence Card to put a bike in your name? I have two bikes, a sidecar with A and a Honda with C, both in a Chinese persons name.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    We reserved a full day for actual registration, delayed by one day so I could retake my driver's license exam. This time I passed, and on Friday 11 June we caravaned out to Pudong, an hourlong drive that was my first official ride in Shanghai. By the time we got there I was drenched in sweat in my riding gear. All the Gear, All the Time.

So here's an inside look at the registration office -- actually one of about six different offices at the registration center where we had to do our rounds. This was the tax office, where I forked over 10% of the purchase price (minus the 17% VAT that was included in the sale price from Jialing). The bloke in prison stripes is our fixer, who I calculate saved us about 4 hours there.

Can't be registered without a photograph, which is included in your registration book. This guy was able to shoot with one hand and hold an ice cream in the other.

More vermilion imprints of the VIN and engine identification number.

Did you know there is a rule that all vehicles in China must display the brand name in Chinese on both flanks? But my bike is the taller "European edition" made for sale for apelike foreigners in the west where Chinese characters would only confuse the primitives there. No worries. Mister Stencil Man to the rescue!

There we have it. This must be a 嘉陵! It says so right on the tank!

Believe it or not, my bike also had to be measured to ensure that it was the same size as the specifications listed in the roadworthiness certificate, which was supplied by the manufacturer. So here comes an inspector with his measuring tape.

Then a final 360-degree lookaround by yet another inspector, whose comment was: "Nice bike. This is the best bike made in China. But it's no Harley." I told him he was welcome to give her a spin, and that this might change his opinion. He declined, saying, as most Chinese do: "It's too tall for me. Harleys fit us Chinese better." OK, so now we have the benchmark for motorcycle quality: Not too tall.

Now off to yet another office where all the various certificates, documents, receipts, approvals and photographs are brought together for a final submission. There were several other bikes being plated that day, including this Regal Raptor. We were in this office for a hour.

And we reach the final act: The selection of a plate number and issuance of new plates. But didn't I buy an existing plate on the open market? Well, no. What I bought was the plate permit -- permission to possess and use a plate. When it comes to plating, this permit is submitted and you go to this big hall where there are three chambers with touch-screen machines that look a bit like slot machines. You touch the screen to activate, then wave a bar-code receipt in front of a scanner, and it then sets up a random number generator. You touch the screen again and the numbers start whizzing furiously by -- far too fast to see. You have 90 seconds to touch the screen again to freeze the spinning and the system presents you with six randomly generated plate number choices. At this point you have another 90 seconds to make your selection. In other words, you control the point at which the random number generator generates the six number from which you will choose. You then choose the most auspicious of the six. The process is called 6选, which perhaps was inspired by the Pick Six lottery back in New York.

I made my choice, and the machine spat out a receipt printed with with my data and the number I selected.

With this we were able to go and retrieve my precious 沪A plates!

I'd like to say the process ended here, but that would have been too easy. We were now, to use ChinaV's preferred term, punished with a two-hour wait in a sweltering waiting room. We don't really know what we were waiting for, but wait we did. We got to sit there watching hundreds of available plate numbers scroll by on big digital readouts.

Actually, this is the document that we were waiting for.

Finally the moment of truth -- actually affixing the plates to my bike, a privilege I gave to Xiao Fan.

And we are legal!

If anyone has further questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

3. #43 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    euphonius, thanks a lot for this topic! I'm really glad to found MCM forum, good place!
    I have a one question, can you tell me pls, is there still need to have a Shanghai Residence Card to put a bike in your name? I want to transfer ownership (过户 guòhù) for Shanghai plate with bike together.

4. #44 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
    euphonius, thanks a lot for this topic! I'm really glad to found MCM forum, good place!
    I have a one question, can you tell me pls, is there still need to have a Shanghai Residence Card to put a bike in your name? I want to transfer ownership (过户 guòhù) for Shanghai plate with bike together.
    hello there, i'll chime in, you only need your passport and police residence registration paper to get a Shanghai license plate in your name, I have a Hu A and a Hu C in my name. any reputable bike shop can take care of the process for you, I know 2 good shops if you want to add my wechat, my ID; sammyflorez

5. #45 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyflorez View Post
    hello there, i'll chime in, you only need your passport and police residence registration paper to get a Shanghai license plate in your name, I have a Hu A and a Hu C in my name. any reputable bike shop can take care of the process for you, I know 2 good shops if you want to add my wechat, my ID; sammyflorez
    Hi, sammyflorez.
    Thanks for your replay. That you said sounds good! I'll add your wechat.
    Cheers.

6. #46 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Worth keeping in mind, inside ones Passport is the Visa. On that Visa is purpose/type of Visa, the place of issue.

The PSB registration document (slip of paper)... denotes the place of residence, which obviously helps determine which locale the issue of any registration/plate will be attached to... important distinction between the 沪A/B or 沪C and the subsequent cost.
    Just sayin...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #47 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Worth keeping in mind, inside ones Passport is the Visa. On that Visa is purpose/type of Visa, the place of issue.

The PSB registration document (slip of paper)... denotes the place of residence, which obviously helps determine which locale the issue of any registration/plate will be attached to... important distinction between the 沪A/B or 沪C and the subsequent cost.
    Just sayin...

Hi, bikerdoc.
    Thank you for your answer! Just now have talk with chinese bike-shop boss (chinese guy), he told me the same, just need take passport and police registration paper, BUT foreigner can't get the blue HU C plate.. Only Yellow HU A or C, or Blue HU A.
    So sad..hehe.

8. #48 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    Wow, the process is quite different in Changchun. I guess we need a break down of the process in each province. Be safe on those crazy roads.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

9. #49 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    Wow, the process is quite different in Changchun. I guess we need a break down of the process in each province. Be safe on those crazy roads.
    Impossible, the process is actually different at each station you go to. In fact, it's actually quite possible to go to the same registration place and be told two completely different procedures by two different people. Hell, I've had the same idiot change their mind on the process in the middle of registering.

If a shop or agency can handle the registration for you, PAY FOR IT. Life is too short to bother with stupid Chinese bureaucratic bullshit. Unless you're just bored and want to a good laugh at the stupidity of the system.

Last 5 bikes I bought in China had it down to a system. Pay the agency, give the paperwork, show up at the registry for the obligatory mug shot, done. Time is better spent wrenching and riding.

10. #50 Re: Getting legal: Registering my JH600 in Shanghai 
    From a person who knows the rules.

Good advise.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast