Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Just wanted to chime in on this thread about "Mr. Muffler". I've had this same guy do a whole bunch of different work for me, about 5 mufflers and some custom welds for parts that had to be fabricated. He is indeed a master craftsman, who puts a lot of effort into his work. When working with higher quality materials, stainless steel for instance, he is very careful not to scratch anything and even buffs it all out once its installed. I highly recommend this guy's welding, and if you have some custom work, can speak Chinese (or have a friend to translate), he will try his best for you at a very reasonable price.
    Do you think this "Mr Muffler" man (what's his name, and anyone got a contact number for him etc?), could handle a project that I now have, having bought a new CFMoto Jetmax 250cc scooter. http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?2109-2010-CFMoto-Jetmax-250-Scooter&p=15556#post15556
    I would like to somehow fabricate a rear mounted luggage rack so that I can fit a quick release/demountable top-box on the rear of the scooter. Unfortunately someone at the CFMoto design studio decided in his/her wisdom to leave off such a rack in the design, which I'm surprised given how so many bikes in China have top-boxes. The Jetmax's passenger grab rails are an alloy and may serve as a base from which to fabricate a bracket that could be added to fit across the width of bike at the rear of the pillion seat, or it might be more feasible to remove the passenger grab rails and fabricate a suitable replacement to retrofit that incorporates a luggage rack as a complete unit. Unfortunately I don't have a complete workshop at my disposal otherwise I'd be happy to experiment with the options myself. That being said, since I'm not in that position, I want someone who not only has the mental capacity and ability to fully understand all that's required (ie. something that can last more than '5 minutes') and also do a bang on job (ie. take great care and pride in their workmanship). The other big thing is I'd have to travel from Ningbo to Mr Muffler man's workshop unless I can make some other arrangement. Any of 'you guys' got any ideas, or can lend some design input?

I'm hopeful that whatever design is adopted that works, could either lead to a viable aftermarket alternative or else lead to CFMoto actually changing their design and incorporating it, in much the same way Jialing has with the JH600 and the mods that have been posted here by the likes of Pfaezler et al.

Oh, and while I'm here on my soapbox, anyone here got ideas on how to add more than 5 photos into a post without adding additional posts to a thread. I've become frustrated with my Jetmax post (see link above) because I can't seem to add any more than 5 photos to it, and I would prefer to keep my review together in one post with photos rather than stretch it out into multiple posts. Any tricks on how to accomplish this?

2. #22 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    tried something, didn't work (attached an inline doc as one file with multiple pics)

3. #23 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ......"Mr Muffler" man (what's his name, and anyone got a contact number for him etc?)......
    I've got his contacts in Shanghai, not with me here on the road.

I think a better choice, and probably equidistant for you, would be Du Rui down in Yongkang, who makes the Tourfella boxes and racks. The guy is a born designer/fabricator. Believe it or not, though he's barely into his 30s, he's headed up the design of about 50 different motor vehicles, many of which are in production now. These include quads, dirt bikes, street bikes, ebikes and lord knows how many others. A lot of people have seen my Jialing, and the universal response is: "Who did your racks and engine cage? These are the best I've seen." I think Mister Muffler could do it, but not with the depth of knowledge and experience in design and functionality that Du Rui has.

It's also a fun place to visit, as he works out of a medieval warehouse.

Du Rui (杜锐)
    +86 139 6746 1983
    101442258@qq.com

Let me know if you'd like an introduction.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #24 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    Master Euph,

Would you recommend Muffleguy for welding a broken kickstand back on? Easy job, just need to find a place with a welder and someone who's not a complete idiot so i thought this place might be it! Your thoughts?

Question number 2: do you have any more pics of this thing here?

It looks pretty cool, i love the seat unit, but i can't for the life of me identify it. It looks like it says GAMAX on the back of the seat, but that doesn't help on taobao...

5. #25 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    Ok nevermind it actually is called Gamax Spillo, its just that you can't get one on taobao.

Not that interested anymore, i don't think i could fit a panda on the back of it...

6. #26 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    No, I can't see that fitting more than two buns at a time, panda or otherwise.
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #27 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello Mr Euphonius!
    I've been to jiaoji lu billions of times and i cant believe I've never saw the minibike store that you talked about in your post!! Is it further down the street from the shop with all the tricked out yamaha jogs and cygnuses? Those minibikes look like so much fun to just fool around on. Mr muffler man is just the kind of guy i need, I'm restoring my Jincheong 50 (basically exactly the same as a honda chaly) and ive been trying to fit a new pipe on, but the problem is that it's so old that no where has any spare parts, but I bet this muffler master can help me out somehow.
    Thanks for the post!

8. #28 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    Jiaoji Lu is only one block long, albeit a longish block. As you go south from Xincun Lu, past the huge maze of shops that is ground zero of scooterville, the street widens a bit on the right. That's where you'll find the minibike shop and the red egg guy and Mister Muffler, who surely can help with your JC50.

Happy hunting!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #29 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the info! Of all the times that i went to the scooter market, i never once thought of going past it to see what was there...

10. #30 Re: Shanghai Muffler Man -- modding my JH600 
    Is the muffler man still on Jiaoji Lu?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123