Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Riding in Lhasa or other places? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have approval from my wife to make a one week motorcycle trip before I leave China in September. I've lived in Suzhou for 4 years but haven't had time to make a trip yet. I've had my Chinese motorcycle license for a few years now and want to put it to good use before I leave. I am thinking about flying into Lhasa and buying a used bike and selling it or leaving it at the end of a week. Anyone know where I could buy or rent a motorcycle in Lhasa?

Another thought was buying one in Chengdu and riding to Lhasa. I've heard that it is hard to get the permits to do this now.

Any other thoughts? I don't have my heart set on going to Tibet at this point.

Cheers!

2. #2 Re: Riding in Lhasa or other places? 
    Hi Bill,

Getting into tibet from sichuan, forget about it. Flying straight into lhasa and trying to find a bike there, interesting idea. I don't know where you can find a bike to buy/rent as i've never been, but if it's like any other chinese city (that's a big IF) you can go find a bike repair shop and they'll probably know someone who's selling a bike.

If you start your trip from outside tibet, you won't be getting in. The western part of sichuan is on the tibetan plateau and every bit as tibetan as tibet, myself and two others were riding out there last month. If you want first hand info on riding that region then maybe we should meet up for a couple of beers. Where in suzhou are you?

Felix

3. #3 Re: Riding in Lhasa or other places? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I spent about an hour reading your trip yesterday. Wow! What an adventure. We should meet up for a few beers. I live in Horizon in SIP. Where do you live? I am free most nights after 8pm or earlier if I have some advanced notice. I'll PM my phone and email.

Bill

4. #4 Re: Riding in Lhasa or other places? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'd like to meet you. My car is XTR250, but do not know with what method can contact you. My MSN: gdgoujun@hotmail.com QQ 278729346 network communication tools (China) I'm looking forward to your reply. You can also write me. Thank you My english is not good....
    cheers001..jpg