Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 chinese weapon traditions 
    One of my life-long interests has been hand weapons, knives, swords and bows and arrows. It is a simple and not very learned hobby and now I only keep a few favourites but Euphonius' thread on the muffler workman/artisan reminded me that many cultures still have a tradition of hand-made weapons. I have seen some chinese weapons, usually called kung fu weapons of various kind. Most that I have seen are not very good, over adorned and ceremonial looking. Similar to the cheap replicas of medieval swords one may see screwed onto a plaque in a friend's bar! Functionally useless or even dangerous. I know there are many learned books I could find but I wondered what our Chinese or long time China dwelling expats on this forum may have seen in various regions? Many of the good quality reproduction, functional weapons, especially swords and knives, come from Chinese makers such as Paul Chen, headquartered in Dailian, which is in Northeast China, on the Yellow Sea. Some of the blades are hand finished and a few still handmade. 34 sword masters work there, with ancillary workers. History tells us that the Chinese taught the Japanese ... who then came up with clay forging and tempering by thrusting into the body of peons ... but we see few historical Chinese designs.

And I have some questions! In UK, Australia etc. any 'tradition' of such things has become socially acceptable only as a penknife or perhaps a hunting sheaf-knife, but they still exist in one form or another in that way. In all cultures worldwide there are still weapon makers, perhaps working as blacksmiths and culinary blade makers keeping the traditions and methods alive. Amongst my friends I have a number that make blades from bar stock or re-use and re-temper scrap steels.

Many good quality tools and weapons available worldwide also come from other second and third world countries where these 'arts' or cultural artifacts have not been completely lost with machine-made or imported products. For example, I have wonderful, true damascus bladework from Pakistan, a very sharp, very strong sword (reproduction medieval) made in China and a few examples of other blades and arrowheads I like, also made in China. The quality can be truly excellent and has been well tested in use (not against humans, for that I stuck to issue blades)!

What have you China travelers seen in the way of blades in daily use - or did any of the cultural changes of the last or previous centuries stop the 'man in the street (or field)' from wearing/owning them? I saw one picture on here of a blade carried in the belt from one region. Is there a tradition of back street blade makers still, similar to what one may have seen in Indonesia, India or elsewhere? if so, I would love to hear (and see pics) of it. I might even be interested in getting an example or two for my collection!
    Last edited by jape; 06-23-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add info.

2. #2 Re: chinese weapon traditions 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi Jape,
    Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but here what i saw:
    3am, well lit alley not too far from what looked like a small police station. I saw three guys running away from a bleeding man on the floor. All of them were carrying swords, looked like swords, but were actually made from sheet metal, a joke of a sword, but still did the damage.... That's in Kunming. And that's not an exception, and i'm not the first person to say so.
    Most of the fights i see in south China are like this; 4+ on one, with swords or pipes, and they don't stop before the man is dead, or nearly so. It's funny to see this in China, home of the Asian martial arts and culture of self defence. It's a joke.
    Last edited by slabo; 06-29-2010 at 02:20 PM.

3. #3 Re: chinese weapon traditions 
    Urygur in Xinjiang sell (openly on display) wear on belt or holster knifes.Part of there tradition.

Makes me nervous though.

The Chinese police where not allowed to have hand guns up until a few years ago and only now a select few are allowed to carry handguns.

4. #4 Re: chinese weapon traditions 
    Yeah, a few asian kids are sorting out gang fights in the back streets of Australia too Slabo, usually with Japanese blades by all accounts! Probably made by Paul Chen though.

Aussie kids prefer to say SUFO by txting but if all else fails they use the boot and the headbutt, then graduate to beer glasses, clubs and shotguns and if they are really cool and survive, automatic pistols. Leaves me cold all that. Stupidity and cruelty and misplaced pride runs through the veins of all cultures but I wonder what happened to the good old punch-up? Sorted out lots of turf wars and personal grudges when I was younger.

Bigdamo, why nervous? Surely they aren't going to slice you unless you go after their wife, (or favourite goat) ... and a bloke in full motorcycle gear is quite well protected against a blade. I shall look them up and see what they are like. Years ago a friend wrote a musical about that area and I helped with scripts and scenery, we tried to get a visa but it was not as easy as it is now, we were refused because we were undesirable, but that area is one I would love to visit. i envy you.