Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Beware fake bike parts! 
    There is an increasing problem with fake bike parts in China. Commonly faked parts seem to be; stems, bars, posts, saddles, frames and more recently tires.

Be vigilant and make sure everything is as it is supposed to be, check for things being supplied in the box, and and that any writing in English is correct. Some things are 'upfront' fakes, where they are just generic cheap gloves with 'fox' on them for example, many times these function perfectly well, and as they are cheap is not an issue. However other parts are better described as being counterfeit, and appear fine in the shop but show themselves to be fake after some use.

Often American brands such as Specialized and WTB are often copied, but Ta*wanese brands such as Wellgo, ABR, Merida and Giant are much less effected.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

2. #2 Re: Beware fake bike parts! 
    Same goes for hiking and camping gear but I found I could the real deal from the USA for not much more especially goretex jackets which where alot cheaper web order from the USA than China.

3. #3 Re: Beware fake bike parts! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hey, bigdamo, where in China do you shop for quality hiking/camping/outdoor gear? Online or are there retail shops you like?

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Beware fake bike parts! 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Hey, bigdamo, where in China do you shop for quality hiking/camping/outdoor gear? Online or are there retail shops you like?

thanks!
    At least in BJ we have plenty of shops selling HQ gear from international brands. As it goes for other products, they are made in China and some leak to the domestic market.
    Andy

5. #5 Re: Beware fake bike parts! 
    Without in any way detracting from the message because fake parts could be dangerous, I must say I usually am happy to find a Chinese component or device. These days quality is pretty good and price is excellent. Like my Kinlon bike ... but also just about every electronic device, 90% of my clothing, and even 50% of otherwise internationally branded products that I own that when you look closely say 'Made In China'. Much of what I own I frankly couldn't otherwise possess, because of price.

For example I got a roof aerial for my wireless broadband, perfectly good quality including cable shipped to my home from China for less than half price and in less time than reputable Aus suppliers said they would need to get it for me without any cable. When I got it, it was exactly the same as they were selling (same picture as well), they had just re-branded for more than twice the price). And I have other examples as I am sure many others do.

Sometimes I suppose tax is part of the markup we avoid this way and I know sometimes producers and suppliers sell online cheaper than their own importers can. Because of so-called fair-trading and anti-competition laws the resellers can lose out and goods can be sold online for less than they cost the resellers, etc., etc. I am aware this isn't exactly fake gear in faked up boxes but it shows that it is more complicated than just fakery. How do you know if the quality is poor except by testing and by function? i do understand the problem if fake parts are sold for full price as originals but ids that what is happening in most cases?

Got me worried though, my Fox armour came from Shanghai I think but had a proper Fox USA label attached as well as the right logo. Don't know how you can tell what is 'right' and what isn't anymore if it hasn't got spelling mistakes.

Bad news if the Chinese are faking Chinese parts ...

6. #6 Re: Beware fake bike parts! 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

thanks!
    I shop at Outdoor shops in Urumqi and Shihezi there are many(Hiking is big in Xinjiang now).There are some bargains to be had at some shops.They carry the real deal which are real expensive and fakes which I think are just a bit cheaper that what I buy online from the States.

My Fake North Face Jacket is holding up well.

Snow ski gear is very expensive in Urumqi.

7. #7 Re: Beware fake bike parts! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Some of the chinese frames are OK. I played host to one of my brothers mates from queensland this weekend and he raced a $250 chinese hardtail in elite at the Convict. It doesn't look anything like a giant but the geometry is the very similar and the performance is pretty good.
    http://www.adverts.pk/-1/posts/1_Veh...le_Purchase/0/