Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: foggy today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: foggy today 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Your pics remind me of heathcote where I grew up jape, I remember geting up on the winter mornings and breaking the ice on the outside water barrel for a cool drink then going for a ride through the forest in the cool morning fog (on my xr75). Nothing like up here even the cool mornings are not realy cool in comparison.
    I think roos are beautiful, when I was a kid we had a mob on our farm that was so relaxed with me that I could hand feed them, I use to often just hang out with them during the day, the big male was a little scary but I was never a threat to him or his girls, whenever he aproached me I used a submisive posture and he was always cool. I think he eventualy accepted me as just another girl in his mob.

2. #12 Re: foggy today 
    Yeah, I am in Drummond, not so far away from there, bit colder though. We used to get two or three hard frosts a year, never the two weeks or more of frost like this month alone. I am thinking of selling up and getting a delivery van to live in, further up north and a few degrees warmer!

I think our foreign forum friends think I was exaggerating, they will find out if they ever visit. Desert reds are bigger still eh?

There are three large dead 'roos on the roadside within ten km. of my home this week alone. Something timely for the new season's fledgling crows to chew on I reckon. I ride my m'bike very slowly at certain points on the roads at night, I dislike the way they look at you, eyes shining in the headlight from the road edge then just as you get near and think all is well they hop right into your path ... my heart won't take it any more!

BTW, how ever do you act submissive to a big male roo ....? lol Guess it just ain't in my genetics, I thump the bugger instead! I get on alright with them really, they were here before me after all. I was chopping new growth back today with an axe, two young roos yawning and scratching in the morning sunshine just feet away couldn't even be bothered to get up.

3. #13 Re: foggy today 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hell yea the big reds are huge, I haven’t had much interaction with them but they do make me wary. As a kid it's easy to be submissive to a roo, rule 1 don’t look him in the eye rule 2 lay down or crouch down as small as you can on the ground and look like your foraging, if you notice the males stand tall just before they get a bit antsy? that’s them asserting their dominance, if you don’t challenge them and reduce your height/size they are less likely to see your as attempting to be dominant. Probably easier for me being female but works the same for guys to. My grandfather taught me how to interact with the roos when I was just a little tacker.

The opposite rules for encounters with perentie monitors if your out in the centre, rule 1 the only thing they respect is bigger lizards, rule 2 everything including you is seen as either food or a bigger lizard. You need to appear to be a bigger lizard. Stand as tall as you can and wave your arms around use a stick if you can to increase the perception of size. My pop taught me lots of good stuff, he was an old bush timber cutter of the old school variety (broad axe days).
    I told this to a friend once when we were in the centre and he didn’t believe me so when we saw a decent size perentie he got down and mimicked a lizard suffice to say the encounter got a lot closer than he was comfortable with for a bit (I was standing on the cruiser bonnet, I'm not silly)

4. #14 Re: foggy today 
    Quite true about the monitor lizards folks, if you don't stand tall, they will attack! And they are big buggers too, the Perente Monitor is over 2 metres long. Trouble is, if you stand too tall, they think you are a tree and climb up ya using their nasty claws to get a grip and then they sit on your head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12