Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Piaggio MP3 Hybrid 300ie 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Yes, this is getting interesting. The Piaggio designs seem very well considered. The fuel efficiency is amazing. Both models are rated at 60km/liter, or 1.6liter/100km. That's 141 mpg!

worth keeping an eye on, though I would not cancel your Kymco order!
    I know, the mileage is amazing, and I just like the whole design concept of the hybrid... I'm not fussed over the MP3 having three wheels as I see pluses and minuses... still the MP3 wheel configuration is way better than the Spyder IMHO. Being able to have a bike that allows one to choose between petrol or electric mobility or a combination and the petrol engine tops up the battery plus the bonus of regenerative braking and so on... how cool is that on a motorbike no less. sweet...
    no... am not cancelling my scooter order though am getting a little impatient as I was assured 7-10 days, and thats about up... The dealer has contacted me to say that CFMoto are busy and their production lines are working flat out. I wonder if maybe their pushing out too much, with all their models of scooters and the UTV they have for both domestic and export markets. That combined with the shortage of labour here must be putting the squeeze on production as it's affecting all sectors. Still I'd rather be patient than to push them, that way they might just take a little more care with aspects of QA/QC, than to take short cuts... at least that's what I tell myself.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-06-2010 at 08:47 AM.

2. #12 Re: Piaggio MP3 Hybrid 300ie 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    now i'm confused. it's a kymco scoot or an cfmoto scoot that you've ordered? somehow i was thinking you were getting a big taiwanese scooter...

how many scooters do you already have??

oh, and a belated reply to another question you asked weeks ago: the Jialing sidecar model, the JH600B, is not easily or legally convertible to a 2-wheeler, according to the jialing folks. first problem is that the rear wheel has a square rather than round profile, so you'd need to swap wheels and/or tires if you were to remove the sidecar. I can't imagine what it would be like to lean into a corner on a square wheel! secondly, even if it were easily done, which I don't think it is, removing the sidecar would definitely be an illegal modification.

I'm really enjoying my 2-wheeler, and now thinking of a solo ride up to Beijing later this week.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: Piaggio MP3 Hybrid 300ie 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    now i'm confused. it's a Kymco scoot or an Cfmoto scoot that you've ordered? somehow i was thinking you were getting a big taiwanese scooter...

how many scooters do you already have??

oh, and a belated reply to another question you asked weeks ago: the Jialing sidecar model, the JH600B, is not easily or legally convertible to a 2-wheeler, according to the jialing folks. first problem is that the rear wheel has a square rather than round profile, so you'd need to swap wheels and/or tires if you were to remove the sidecar. I can't imagine what it would be like to lean into a corner on a square wheel! secondly, even if it were easily done, which I don't think it is, removing the sidecar would definitely be an illegal modification.

I'm really enjoying my 2-wheeler, and now thinking of a solo ride up to Beijing later this week.
    sorry for the confusion. I was really interested in the Kymco Xciting 500, but the legit dealer in Changzhou just isn't interested in playing with my idea on the 500cc. I'd suggested that they import a 500 but provide me all the legal documents for the Xciting 250 instead so that way I could go and get it plated/licensed. Since cosmetically theres little observable difference between the xciting 250 vs 500 models, I thought it was one way to play the game. They don't have the right documents or certificates to obviously provide for a Xciting 500, as they have indicated they can't provide the documents to license/plate the 500 legally - which is why I'd suggested copied/fabricated 250 documents. They're willing to import the 500 for me, but won't help with providing me the (250cc) documents. At rmb47000 for the Kymco Xciting 250, it's just little too much money so I can only guess how much the 500 would cost landed in PRC. It would take a month or two to arrive here if not longer, so I've gone the CFMoto Jetmax 250 altenrative, which I could buy 3 of for the same money as the Kymco Xciting 250. On paper the technical specs are almost the same between the Xciting vs Jetmax. The Jetmax is eagerly awaited and anticipated in many overseas markets based on a quick online search, so it's a long time coming. CFMoto are also tooling up and getting ready for production of the 650 twin sport/tourer road bike end of the year. Guess they're just a little busy with production of so many models, especially consdering they're full on with the ATV range too.

About the JH600 sidecar, I know full well about the legalities etc in regards to sidecar licensing vs solo here. Still that doesn't seem to stop those with the CJ's which most traffic police would know is illegal when it's not attached to the chair, whereas the JH stands a better chance, if you get my meaning. I kind of liked the idea about having an optional; sidecar when I want to take wife or son, or both in the chair or just as a solo when I anticipate riding in solo mode or maybe with only one pillion. That said most of the time the ride would be solo. Having a chair that could be removed/attached easily would be a nice alternative (albeit illegal in PRC). Naturally running curved tyres would be the way to go in this instance. How long and when do you plan to go to BJ? The weather is unpredictable at the minute, and today it's been pretty much rain the whole day. I'd be a contender though...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-27-2010 at 01:20 AM.

4. #14 Re: Piaggio MP3 Hybrid 300ie 
    and how's this for motivation... cool...

http://www.noagelimitpiaggio.us/the-route

damn I almost feel like a huge ride like that, but not here... not in China... I'm thinking some-place else where motorcycles are welcome! Maybe OZ... or what the hell NZ... or maybe Europe...

5. #15 Re: Piaggio MP3 Hybrid 300ie 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Now here's something to chew on:

Details to be found HERE
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #16 Re: Piaggio MP3 Hybrid 300ie 
    Various reviews and general chit-chat about the Piaggio range of 3 wheeler scoots...
    http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic7574.html
    Racing a MP3 on track...
    http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic36391
    http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic36376
    and for any experienced bike riders...
    http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic39021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12