Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Major EPA verdict against Chinese imports... 
    The EPA is the federal government and motor vehicle registration is done within each state(s) government. It is entirely possible for any state to refuse registration of any motor vehicle that does not meet federal regulations. Legally every state has to abide by federal regulation and specifically relating to transportation not doing so could result in that state loosing its federal transportation funding.

2. #12 Re: Major EPA verdict against Chinese imports... 
    C-Moto Senior
    I've heard there is a U.S. EPA certified testing lab in Tianjin that the manufacturers use to pass their EPA emissions testing. I/m wondering the this testing lab produced the false readings?

3. #13 Re: Major EPA verdict against Chinese imports... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbosidecar View Post
    I've heard there is a U.S. EPA certified testing lab in Tianjin that the manufacturers use to pass their EPA emissions testing. I/m wondering the this testing lab produced the false readings?
    If true, it could be a case of manufacturers paying for a result they want.

There are a few labs around the US, too, which my guess would provide more realistic results due to legal reasons (i.e., the lab would be sued and/or shut down).

4. #14 Re: Major EPA verdict against Chinese imports... 
    They were all off road vehicles that had their certificates revoked, since certificates are issued from year to year they have or can resubmit them on new models for forthcoming years with complete and accurate information.

All of the vehicles were submitted by a third party consultant “MotorScience Enterprise” all of the vehicles were 2006 and 2007 model years.

So then any inventory from 2006 and 2007 on that list would either have to be sent back or destroyed.

I would say that when you have literally hundreds of version of the exact same thing from hundreds of manufacturers….its likely somebody is going try to pass things through that are not specifically what is approved? The EPA’s claim was that submitted information was false or incomplete.

That is not real hard to fathom is it, information being false and or incomplete is it? Seriously, nearly all the information we see on products is or has varying degrees of false and incomplete specifications.

If the vehicle is not properly documented, then it cannot be properly identified. Not being properly documented is the same as incomplete or false information.

If the model is a 100A and from factory LBC….then it should be easily identified and in that has an EPA certificate. The components all identified and that is what is complete as in complete documentation. In that a list of parts, that being out of 100% maybe 5%- of the total components are related to the EPA as emission control devices.

How can they see it as compliant if they have no way to tell what it is.

I’d say that what some of the Chinese are doing will make the system tougher, the EPA will not just look away they will get tougher and stricter and that will affect all importers.

Having a system that clearly defines all products accurately is the only resolution. The only way to do that is VIN coding. Within a VIN is a model code and that should be present in the EPA list and with specific parts listed and related outputs.

5. #15 Re: Major EPA verdict against Chinese imports... 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12