Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 GLOVES what do you wear? 
    I have Fox 'dirtpaws' which are a lightweight all synthetic glove. The only good thing about them is they are very flexible and they grip OK. They have nearly worn out after just 1500km.

I have a few pairs of ordinary gloves I could wear easily enough but do not think they would protect all that well in an off. I have seen some cool military spec gloves that might do, in truth there are so many gloves out there I thought I would ask for recommendations from regular riders. I like really flexible lightweight gloves with grip. I don't mind paying a bit more for kevlar etc. if they are proven to last and to protect.

2. #2 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    Rain Offs for rain and freezing temperatures, the only real waterproof over-gloves
    I have two pair of these, to fit over the summer and winter gloves.

They are ugly, but great
    Andy

3. #3 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I usually start with the cheap white taxidriver gloves you get in any shop on the way for 1 rmb. They cover at least you skin from the sun and when they get dirty, you just buy another pair ;)

For Tibet i had some plastic gloves that became pices after 2 weeks.

In Qinghai i changed from the taxidriver gloves to some sheepskin gloves for 10rmb that lasted until europe. today i use this gloves to take things out of the oven, they are still fine.

On the last Tibet trip i finally used real gloves (my scooter gloves from long time ago).

Now better dont ask what kind of shoes we use.
    Note: plastic bags in shoes can keep the water out of them, at least for some time :)
    Riding the horse to death

http://tuo-ma-si.blogspot.com

4. #4 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    I love my Spidi Gantlets. 4 Years, over 100,000 kilometers. I have a ton of other gloves as they are dirt cheap to buy in the Guangzhou motorcycle market, but in this case it's true, you get what you pay for.

Constructed from sheep hide.
    Reinforcements on the palm and back of the hand.
    Side hand padding.
    Elastic inserts in the back of the wrist for comfort and ease of movement.
    Reinforced knuckle protection.
    Touch fastening flap closure for a secure fit.
    Comfortable from 5-25ºC

Great feel, I can even operate camera controls and my mobile phone without taking them off.

Not good for rain

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyokid View Post
    I usually start with the cheap white taxidriver gloves you get in any shop on the way for 1 rmb. They cover at least you skin from the sun and when they get dirty, you just buy another pair ;)
    the Y1 is "red" wraped which / the "green" wraped is thicker ~Y1.5
    If must use this style, the cheapest DuPont Kevlar gloves is ~Y15 only.
    http://www2.dupont.com/Personal_Prot...ucts.html#row1

6. #6 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    Thanks for all the ideas! Will probably get two sets, one lightweight for summer, just cheapos with plastic protection padding similar to the Fox 'dirtpaws' I have (if I can find something better made), but for the rest of this winter I think I shall get these as they seem flexible enough to use when hunting on cold frosty mornings as well. At $80AU they compare very favourably with many motorcycle gloves.
    tacgloves..jpg
    they come in black too:
    http://www.camoshop.com.au/tactical_...erator_gloves/
    Mind you, these police gloves are kevlar or spectra lined and a bit cheaper at $55AU:
    http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod960.htm
    Still can't make me mind up!

7. #7 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Below are some of the gloves that I use when riding. On motorcycles I always ride wearing all the protective clothing. Either leathers or motorcycle designed synthetic clothing; decent helmets (HJC, Arai, Shoei) not some cheap Chinese cr@p, riding jacket with reinforced areas, pants with reinforced areas, leather motorcycle boots (Alpine Stars or Tanked) and gloves... though when I ride one of my scooters I don't always wear this gear. Somehow I compartmentalise between scooters and motorcycles, so whereas on motorcycle I can't ride wearing all this protective riding gear, not so on the scoot's... still if I could find a nice cool summer lighter riding suit with reinforced spine, elbows, hips and knees I probably would. I have seen a nice Dianese synthetic summer suit that was thin and had loads of breathable sections, but I can't find it on TaoBao, which is where the guy had bought it...

Gloves Leather 1..jpg
    These gloves are my favourite. 100% leather, nothing else just leather with some leather reinforcing in certain key areas. The thing I like about these gloves is the feel, as they provide great feedback from the handle bar grips and various switches and hand controls. Even in the heat and humidity of summer here, they are comfortable to wear.

Gloves Leather 2..jpg
    This pair of gloves also used 100% leather though they also use a synthetic nylon type of stretch weave between the fingers and an adjustable wrist flap, with additional stiffer reinforcing on the knuckles and palms etc. While comfortable to wear they do not provide as much feedback as the 100% leather gloves above.

Gloves Synthetic&#46.jpg
    These are a synthetic glove, possibly with a wool mix although not 100% certain of that. There is some additional reinforcing as can be seen in the palm region although this is synthetic also. Wrist adjustment with Velcro tabs complete the package. These are nice feeling glove and I use these primarily when I ride in the autumn especially on my scooters. The feel and feedback is quite adequate.

Gloves Polar Tex &.jpg
    These are Polar Tex Tour Masters. Fully synthetic gloves which as can be seen are larger and have a longer wrist section compared to my other gloves. They are comfortable and provide adequate protection from the elements in Autumn and milder wintry conditions, though there is no built-in rain/shower guard with these particular gloves. The feedback through to the fingers is okay, but not as nice as my 100% leather gloves.

Gloves handle bar.jpg
    These are the typical handlebar mits seen so commonly in China. They provide excellent protection from the elements in winter even rain, but they don't provide a lot of room internally when used in combination with a pair of gloves. They appear to only come in one size, or certainly not a size big enough for those with bigger than the usual Chinese male hand sizes, and are a little tight fit on big motorcycle handlebars.

8. #8 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    Some good gloves there Bikerdoc. I went out today in 5 degree C, as always wind chill makes it colder so I wore my sheepskin gloves but I just don't get on with thicker gloves so the Tourmasters or similar are out for me, I was having problems with the throttle holding on and not slipping closed when I let go, because the glove was grabbing it. In the end I had to take them off and suffer, not too badly because it was just a trip into town. It looks like I may try and find or make a solution like those waterproof handlebar hand covers (maybe even heated ones lol!) that will allow me to wear thinner gloves all the time. But then you don't get so much protection in an off.

When it comes to summer wear I am just a bit too scared these days to wear anything but leather. It can be a pain getting into all the gear just for a short trip, takes the spontaneity out of it, but I have seen too many mates get ripped up over four decades not to discipline myself. It isn't that I don't quite trust the light-weight synthetic gear, it is just that I have leather already so may as well be best protected. In summer in Aus it can be VERY hot and I have been tempted to not wear it, but even on a hot day the speed of a bike cools me enough if I have little on underneath. Have you tried perforated leather?

9. #9 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Some good gloves there Bikerdoc. I went out today in 5 degree C, as always wind chill makes it colder so I wore my sheepskin gloves but I just don't get on with thicker gloves so the Tourmasters or similar are out for me, I was having problems with the throttle holding on and not slipping closed when I let go, because the glove was grabbing it. In the end I had to take them off and suffer, not too badly because it was just a trip into town. It looks like I may try and find or make a solution like those waterproof handlebar hand covers (maybe even heated ones lol!) that will allow me to wear thinner gloves all the time. But then you don't get so much protection in an off.

When it comes to summer wear I am just a bit too scared these days to wear anything but leather. It can be a pain getting into all the gear just for a short trip, takes the spontaneity out of it, but I have seen too many mates get ripped up over four decades not to discipline myself. It isn't that I don't quite trust the light-weight synthetic gear, it is just that I have leather already so may as well be best protected. In summer in Aus it can be VERY hot and I have been tempted to not wear it, but even on a hot day the speed of a bike cools me enough if I have little on underneath. Have you tried perforated leather?
    I'm also one who prefers leather, and have many one and two piece leather riding suits over the years. Actually still have a zip together Scarllete <sp> suit hanging up back in NZ. It's hard to find decent quality riding leathers here in PRC that fit. It's a similar story with motorcycle helmets, even when you can get a good brand, they usually have limited sizes and as long as it can get onto your head -you supposedly good to go! For starters in the motorcycle dealerships here, which are nothing like motorcycle dealers in AUS, NZ, UK or almost any other country. there is almost no protective gear for sale. Seriously here, it's like you can walk in - buy your bike (which in itself can take a minimum half a day to complete even if the bike is on the dealers floor), but there's no after sales in terms of motorcycle gear/clothing etc. So if one was walk in with a pair of flip-flaps on yer feet, shorts and a singlet, and bought a moto they'd not bat an eyelid or try to convince you to buy a helmet or any protective gear before you ride off -as they don't stock it. Walk in - slide on out (albiet a day later after all the legalities are completed).
    Mind numbing f^*kin numb skulls...

Even if they might happen to have some helmets, they're usually some Chin@s@ crap that meet no particular standard and it's one size fits all... f^*k em, you can usually see that same helmet dangling from the handle bars as said rider rides carefree into the wind... hrgh hmmm smog! (often they use those plastic construction lids (I refer to cheap plastic), which wouldn't save the skin of a rice pudding... still guess you gotta have something inside worth saving. LOL) even then if they wear their helmet, it's usually not secured to the head other than sitting on it!

Back to your question, the answer is no, and I haven't seen any of the perforated leather here, not yet at least...

I can certainly relate top hot though, its not only hot (38'C here on Sunday past) but humidity in the high 90's too... seriously seems hotter here than my time in Perth, Kalgoorlie, Carnavon, Broome... and Saudi Arabia. Still I wear the gear on my Dragstar... skin is too precious..

10. #10 Re: GLOVES what do you wear? 
    I have had gore tex touring gloves for colder weather, they were fine. For warm weather I have used light weight enduro gloves, which are nice because I don't want my hands to sweat and I like the feel of them. The next gloves I buy might be Hanx supermoto gloves.

I experimented with neopren gloves in the Norway, they were not that bad but not that good either. The Yoko light weight chinese enduro gloves were nice but are already broken of the wrist tightening grip. No way I will buy them ever. My previous Hanx enduro gloves were very durable and long lasting, I expect the same from these supermoto gloves but also will enjoy of the increased protection, for what it is worth, I can not say.

At times one can see interesting solutions with the older drivers who are not face conscious. I saw very interesting gloves with one in the north but forgot to ask about them. The picture I have, I will include it on the report.