Moving on from gloves, which I have ordered now thanks, I am wondering about what you wear under your gear in COLD weather. It has been below 10 deg C (top) here for a fortnight and I am cooooooold on the 'bike.

I purchased some so called 'thermal underlayer' tights and long-sleeve top for under the usual woolen jumper and leather gear. Bugger me, I was COLDER in it than without. It is like that compression gear athletes wear. I came to the conclusion this thermal stuff might work for swimmers or runners that shave down, lol, but for normally hairy blokes like me, it compresses the body hair and you feel colder! I used to find this same thing with Damart (brand) thermal layers years ago when working as a roofer in winter and was better off in my GF's woolen tights and a woolen 'grandad' vest ...

So I have gone back to a loose cotton under layer and feel OK but would like some toasty gear for longer trips. I know all about layers and the importance of breaking wind (stet) but want to know if any of you have found good, working thermal underwear. Apart from feeling luvverly on your bare skin is silk as good as it is said to be? I think the climbing gear I used to wear decades ago when I could actually pull up my own weight on my finger tips was silk, that was good stuff. I have found a NZ company that makes it but don't want to spend without advice.

Looking forward to your stories, not sure we need pics ....