Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Qingqi QM200GY - Tire Selection 
    Whoa, they sure look nice and ... able to perform. I haven't had any slips with my heidenaus on tarmac either dry or wet, but on gravel they are not really up to the task.
    As does the manufacturer say about the K66 pattern of my heidenaus, they are still meant for hard surfaces and only slightly able to cope with gravel etc.

I'm thinking of getting such Heidenaus next with a new 21'' front rim to accompany the different front tire aswell: LINK

And BTW, how does the 250 engine perofm of your bike and what is it exactly :P

2. #12 Re: Qingqi QM200GY - Tire Selection 
    Quote Originally Posted by ancronym View Post
    Hmm, maybe I shall try it aswell, the 21 front I mean :)
    It could just be that if you change the front to de facto enduro you may have to change the rear too. Your 17" rear is not bad, but it might be too wide and of wrong profile for 21" enduro front.

People who use SM tires seem to be very happy with them, so I would not bother to change unless I *knew* I want de facto enduro wheels. 18/21 are good choise if you drive in winter or if you dont want to compromise off-tarmac performance, and if you want to be able to change the tires or patch the tubes easily by yourself.

EDIT: 18/21 de facto enduro is also good if you want to use 4mm thich "elephant skin" tubes and not some gimp condoms
    Last edited by moilami; 07-19-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Additional comment.

3. #13 Re: Qingqi QM200GY - Tire Selection 
    Whoa, they sure look nice and ... able to perform. I haven't had any slips with my heidenaus on tarmac either dry or wet, but on gravel they are not really up to the task.
    As does the manufacturer say about the K66 pattern of my heidenaus, they are still meant for hard surfaces and only slightly able to cope with gravel etc.
    Well, there must be a reason why enduro/MX/speedway/trial racers don't use wide and low profile front tires :)

I'm thinking of getting such Heidenaus next with a new 21'' front rim to accompany the different front tire aswell: LINK
    Those look awesome Especially so because Heidenaus have a very good reputation for my ears. The rear looks a bit wide though, is it for wider SM wheel?

And BTW, how does the 250 engine perofm of your bike and what is it exactly :P
    My bike is Skyteam, the engine is branded Skyteam as well, and is actually 230cc or so. Euphonius said it is made by Sachin or something like that. It is very low power engine with some nice torque. The lack of power is however not at all a problem off-road. In Tarmac the lack of power becomes obvious, but I have learned to accept it because now I can't get so easily bad speeding fines and in theory the engine should be more sturdy and reliable.

I am very happy with my bike and can't wait to do another trip with it late summer :) I am also enthusiastically waiting for winter, will have for sure tons of fun with my Skyteam if it just starts up.

4. #14 Re: Qingqi QM200GY - Tire Selection 
    Riding in Honduras C.A.
    I have the same OP bike. 17 rims front and rear.

I change for a more off road oriented tires, a litle biger too.

Pirelli Scorpion A/T in front 4.60 -17
    Pirelli Scorpion S/T in rear 130/80 -17

Rear tire has no problem with the chain protector
    Front are a litle too wide- diferent feedback on the handlebars. It takes a few hours to change your brain for that.
    And as a wider the clearance with the forks are, how to say it: Marginal.

The good news: those tires make the bike a total diferent beast on off-road roads. Impresive change! I love them. And the scorpins seems so stif that I think you can ride the bike with no air in them. good for those undesireble puntures. Some people said that scorpios are tought to broke the bead. Don´t has the oportunity yet to tray that for myself
    Qingqi 200 Supermotard. (Genesis) Mods Until now:Rised Handelbar with stock risers and a lot of washers. Almost 10cm. Pillion handles eliminated and enduro model rack puted in place with turn signals just ziptied to it. Abominable Top Box over rack! Kickstarter removed for comfort (now inside TopBox). PCV pipe bolted to subframe holding my tools. Acerbis supermoto handlebar protector. Turnsignals bolted to the Abominable Top Box base.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12