Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Howdy,

The Missus and I are headed to America for a little tour. We arrive in San Francisco and then have 4 weeks to make our way to Wisconsin. After Wisconsin, we have two weeks to make it to New Hampshire. We intend to visit quite a few National parks and do a lot of camping. It's been 20 years since my last crossing of the USA, what places do you think are "must see" for my Chinese wife, and where would you go?

Here is our chariot, 2004 Kawasaki Concours. Bought it used last month and have never seen it, she's sitting in California waiting our arrival. This is a gentle sport touring trip, not my usual "China adventure ride", so let me know if there are any favorite stretches of asphalt you think we should hit.

Will probably be hooking up with CrazyCarl at some point and would look forward to a cold beer with any other members hanging out in the states.

Cheers
    Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV

2. #2 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    All motorcycle stores and buy as much gear as you can fit in your bags to take home.Hopefully they will revalue the rmb before you go.

MTB gear and ski gear is also on my list.

USA the shopping mecca.

3. #3 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    No suggestions for you, wrong bit of the planet, but want to wish you both well, take it easy and DON'T hit the asphalt, cruise along it ...

4. #4 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    At first, congrats for touring your home country. I enjoyed greatly touring mine and meeting Finnish people. The grass isn't greener on the other side of the sea, they say in Finland. Of course it isn't, but what makes the grass greener in this side of the sea is that I have grown a "special connection" to my home country and people living here by the language, nature, and culture we share. Touring Finland was like meeting old friends. I am sure people can feel the same of their home countries, which makes it well worth to tour home countries instead of travelling to the other side of the planet.

If I were you I would take her to Disneyland xD Seriously. It can be interesting to do something crazy.

5. #5 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I met a doctor yesterday who was fresh back from a fellowship in los angeles, and did a big car tour around California. Though I've heard this before from Chinese friends, what surprised me was that he was much more impressed with Tahoe than Yosemite. Absolutely loved driving around Lake Tahoe. Guess you have to grow up backpacking the Sierra and revering John Muir and Ansel Adams to fully "get" Yosemite. In any case, I'd try to have both of those on my itinerary.

What's your jumping off point in California? Southland or Bay Area? Makes a big difference!

A ride over the Golden Gate Bridge would be awesome, and some stretch of the central/northern California coast like Big Sur or Sonoma County, which gets you into the wine country....

Maybe just spend the whole 6 weeks in California?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    This is purely vicarious...(which I will enjoy).

After the first few years of living in China and not having a motorcycle (used to ride a VFR500 in the US during my early 20s), I thought I’d wait until I move back to the US before owning a bike again. Now realizing that I don’t know when or if that time will come again - I’m sitting here waiting for my JH600 do be delivered to me in Shanghai

With that said, sounds like a dream to ride across the US - so here are some of my thoughts. I share this knowing that your awesome ride report will give me the vicarious high from across the Pacific. Here are some of suggestions from West to East (with help from National Geographic). If you want any additional info on any of these, just give me a shout.

Pacific Coast Highway Through Big Sur
    California (Monterey - Big Sur - Carmel - San Simeon)
    One of my favorite roads ever! Stunning - but I’ve only done it by car. Not a bad way to start your journey if you choose the southern route across the US to Wisconsin.

Route66 Through Arizona
    Arizona
    Main streets of Holbrook, Flagstaff and Williams still feature Route 66-style motels and diners.

Route 12 From Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef
    Utah
    Journey through Utah’s canyon lands past eerie rock formations, breathtaking mountain ridges, pine forests, and mountain meadows.

The San Juan Skyway
    Colorado
    Unforgettable Rocky Mountain adventure offering sky-high peaks, Butch Cassidy’s hometown, and the haunting ruins of Mesa Verde. This is a 223-mile loop that you can do in one day (but allow 3 for sight seeing in the major towns and exploring Mesa Verde National Park - where the ancestors of the modern Pueblo people once lived).

The Golden Highway
    Colorado - Kansas - Missouri
    Quirky route though the heart of the Midwest.

The Orgeon Train
    Oregon - Idaho - Wyoming - Nebraska - Kansas - Missouri
    By heading North first, you’d add some mileage (albeit beautiful mileage), but you’d get to do a reverse trek of the of the emigrants seeking farmland in Oregon and gold in California, including: Lush Grande Ronde valley, the Craters of the Moon near Arco and Shoshone Falls near Twin Falls, Lava Hot Springs in Southern Idaho, 470-foot Chimney Rock near Bridgport, the giant red rock of Scott’s Bluff.

Lake Michigan Shoreline
    Wisconsin - Michigan
    Since you’ll be stopping in Wisconsin, you may want to consider the Lake Michigan Shoreline. The loop of the lake covers 1,160 miles, which means it’s about a week to experience all the sights. To shorten the trip either side of the lake is rewarding on its own. You can take a 4-hour ferry ride on the SS Badger between Manitowoc and Ludington (Ferry take bikes, cars and RVs). South of Ludintton is Saugtuck, MI which is both an artists’ colony and beach destination known for its dune-schooners (buggies giving rides through the high dunes).

Amish Country to the Hudson Valley
    Pennsylvania - New York
    Step back in time riding thru Amish country around Lancaster Pennsylvania with 28 covered bridges in the county - and one is on the way to Paradise, a small village east of Lancaster City. Build in 1893, the Paradise Bridge is supported by the Theodore Burr arch and crosses over the Pequea Creek on Belmont Road. Located in the heart fo Amish country, bridge traffic includes buggies as well as cars and motorcycles. Then continue north-east to the historic and beautiful Hudson Valley River towns of New York, where you can follow the river north from Harriman State Park to West Point and further North into the Catskills.
    Last edited by MotoKai; 07-08-2010 at 02:25 PM.

7. #7 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    ChinaV,

I never met a Chinese who didn't want to see Las Vegas. It seems a must for them

Have fun, ride safe and keep the rubber down
    Andy

8. #8 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    USA the shopping mecca.

Yeah, no kidding, we haven't even left yet and there's already a good size pile of stuff building up at my sisters house.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    What's your jumping off point in California? Southland or Bay Area? Makes a big difference!
    We arrive in SFO and will have a couple days to relax with my sister in Alameda while getting the bike ready. Probably do a couple touristy things in the city and of course the Golden Gate Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    With that said, sounds like a dream to ride across the US - so here are some of my thoughts. I share this knowing that your awesome ride report will give me the vicarious high from across the Pacific. Here are some of suggestions from West to East (with help from National Geographic). If you want any additional info on any of these, just give me a shout.
    I will try to post some interesting stuff along the way, thanks for the list of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    I never met a Chinese who didn't want to see Las Vegas. It seems a must for them
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    If I were you I would take her to Disneyland xD Seriously. It can be interesting to do something crazy.
    I hate to say it, but you guys are probably right, should spend at least one night in Las Vegas, which is kind of like Disneyland with gambling.

Thanks for the comments and well wishes folks

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    C-Moto Guru
    Dont know too much about the US, but I definetly not recommend Atlanta at that time of the year!
    Enjoy and let us know what is the ultimate route with a Chinese Passenger, sooner or later it will be on others "to do" as well. And who want to disappoint their significant other?

Good Luck and avoid the Yunnan style stunts ;-)

10. #10 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I hate to say it, but you guys are probably right, should spend at least one night in Las Vegas, which is kind of like Disneyland with gambling
    I've been there from Feb to May 1999, exited for first week or so, started to hate the sights and sounds thereafter
    If you really hit Vegas, ride the Mandalay Bay Tram and say a prayer or two ( a couple of would do as well) for all my blood, sweat and tears left there
    Andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast