Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    out of topic:
    where do you post your photos?
    I can see them without VPN? wish you a great ride with your missus! please, take care of her and post some photos with her also.
    (not only motorbike standing in front of a great landscape! (I am kidding) your photography is a kind of it`s own, phantastic!!!!!!)

2. #12 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    A visit to the States is not complete without visiting Niagara Falls. It can be an easy side trip for you while heading for New Hampshire.

Other no-brainers: New York City and Washington, DC, with the food, sights, museums, shows, street scenes, etc. The routes going through them may not be ideal though, too much traffic for my taste.

Too bad you might be a bit too early for fall foliage in Adirondacks and New England, as the autumn is the best time to visit that part of the States, with lots Maine lobsters to boot. Nevertheless it is still quite pleasant to drive through them.

Try to get to Blue Ridge Parkway if you do go south for Washington, DC. It is built as part of FDR's new deal and very well maintained even today without commercial traffic. The road surface is immaculate. I've been there twice. The riding condition was so excellent that I almost halluciated on the saddle as if being in an electronic motorcycle game world.

Have lots of fun. This really makes me home sick.

3. #13 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Hi Sabine, wish you could come along and make a movie of our trip . I post the photos on my server in Hong Kong, the cost is 138 HKD per month, including email and 5GB of bandwidth transfer. I tried some of the free services, but they all seem to end up getting blocked.

Milton, Niagara Falls, Washington DC and NYC are all on the agenda. The next time we visit America will definitely be in September/October so my wife can see the foliage. That's the one thing I miss the most about America.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #14 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    out of topic:
    I can see them without VPN? wish you a great ride with your missus! please, take care of her and post some photos with her also.
    (not only motorbike standing in front of a great landscape! (I am kidding) your photography is a kind of it`s own, phantastic!!!!!!)
    Hi Sabine,
    I use Smugmug - I remember 30 USD/year - looks good and nice to use for family at home.

ChinaV,
    I'm in Germany now - looking forward to see your US ride pictures. Can't give you too much of ideas. My experience is California and Death Valley directions, and my favorite is defiantly Oregon and Washington state - the great North-West.

Enjoy your ride there.
    Cheers, AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

5. #15 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Not sure if you will go thru Texas but if you do happen to be on Interstate 10 west of San Antonio, spend the night in Junction. Best Western Hotel is cheap, clean, and pretty new. Then get a free map of the "Three Sisters Ride" from
    www.garvenstore.com
    and take a day or two riding thru the canyons and along the river. One of the best rides I have ever been on. (and I include the ride thru the French Alps here) Friendly people, great winding roads and scenery, little traffic to bother you, great roadside BBQ stands. Well worth the day or two detour.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

6. #16 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Not sure if you will go thru Texas but if you do happen to be on Interstate 10 west of San Antonio, spend the night in Junction. Best Western Hotel is cheap, clean, and pretty new. Then get a free map of the "Three Sisters Ride" from
    www.garvenstore.com
    and take a day or two riding thru the canyons and along the river. One of the best rides I have ever been on. (and I include the ride thru the French Alps here) Friendly people, great winding roads and scenery, little traffic to bother you, great roadside BBQ stands. Well worth the day or two detour.
    Thanks for the suggestion TexasAggie, unfortunately it's so damned hot that we're avoiding a lot of the southern US.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #17 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Completely understand, it is 40 degrees C there in August.

If you are in the USA between October and May, give it try. Enjoy the ride and be safe.
    DT

8. #18 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    Howdy Folks,

Just a quick update that we've covered about 4000 miles so far and everything has been great. We've hit Redwoods NP, The Pacific Coast Hwy, Kings Canyon NP, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe, Lassen Volcanic NP, Crater Lake NP and we're now in Glacier NP. What a country!

Been so many years since I've done a big America journey and it's like falling in love all over again.

Couple Pics....

Cheers!
    Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV

9. #19 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ChinaV! You rode right through my ancestral turf -- California Route 1 north from San Francisco, right up through Elk and Mendocino, and Route 101 through Mendocino, Sonoma and Marin counties! OMG. How did you possibly decide where to eat, drink and stay??

More importantly, how's the young marriage surviving 6000km in the saddle??

Have a great rest of your ride!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: Where to go? Mr. & Mrs. ChinaV do the USA 
    You are now simply rubbing salt into the wound!

Go South, East. or West from where you are and you cannot go wrong. I am not a Harley rider but if you are any where near Sturgis August 9th thru 15th, you need to go! Enjoy.
    DT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast