Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Bye Bye my GN250 
    Just sold my GN250, which has been with me since 2002, so I can get my license plate off it for my yet-to-come JH600. It is a real work horse. I have been riding it mostly in town around Shanghai until recently. (Discovered a motorcycle crowd in Shanghai a few months ago and logged on this motorcycle over 12k km in last 7 months.)
    GN250 is an extremely reliable machine. Reasonably comfortable, simple, no frills, no hassle. Since owning it I have just changed a few times the spark plug, chain, battery, tires, clutch cable, light bulb, etc., those maintenance items due to normal wear and tear. It is an ideal motorcycle for travelling in China with enough speed and versatility for just about any circumstances. Parts are available everywhere, with many Taobao shops specialized in them. Help is next town away should you encounter any problems on the road. I am pretty sure I can't say the same about JH600.
    It will be sorely missed. Below are 2 pictures I took with my cell phone for the second-hand motorcyle dealer (sorry for the picture quality):
    IMAGE_016..jpg

IMAGE_013..jpg

2. #2 Re: Bye Bye my GN250 
    Damn that saddle looks good and the bike doesn't look bad either Dunno what's wrong in me novadays but customs has begun to look very interesting bikes. I am even going to a custom bike show happening or whatever it is called this weekend and I am waiting for it!

3. #3 Re: Bye Bye my GN250 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Damn that saddle looks good and the bike doesn't look bad either...
    There is nothing custom about GN250. It is a bike of 30 years old technology, my kind of motorcycle. My advise to manufacturers: If somethingt works, please do not change it. This is the same philosophy I apply to cars as well. They are just vehicles for getting me somewhere, hence the reliability and safety as top priorities above all else. (You could have guessed that I once was a Volvo owner before they started fulling around with new models.)

You probably also guessed why I made the purchase of JH600. There is nothing innovative about it. All its functions and features are copied from known models and makes. Again, my kind of motocycle. I sincely hope JiaLing proves itself as a deserving copy cat. I will find out in 2 weeks.

Sorry about this boring attitude. I probably won't accompany you to that custom bike show and stuff. :-)

4. #4 Re: Bye Bye my GN250 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Going back almost 15-20 years these Suzuki GN250's were a popular motorcycle courier bike, especially for 'inner-city' motorcycle couriers. They were easy to ride and maintain, forgiving, and damn reliable. Haven't seen too many 250cc GN's here but loads of 125's around...

5. #5 Re: Bye Bye my GN250 
    GN 250 damn ugly but undeniably reliable and lovable in its own way.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.