Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 1st visit to Shanghai. Need some local help. (for places to eat) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey all. Well I have been in Yichang (Hubie) for a little over a year now and the wife and I are heading to Shanghai to see the Expo and meet up with my 2 boys who are flying over here for the 1st time.
    Yichang only has Chinese restaurants. What I miss the most and NEED is some good Mexican food if it can be had in Shanghai I don’t care what is cost. I am from SoCal and miss it very much.
    So if any of you local and recommend a good place in Shanghai I would be forever grateful. (also any other places (non Chinese you think are great )
    Thanks
    Darren

2. #2 Re: 1st visit to Shanghai. Need some local help. (for places to eat) 
    C-Moto Senior
    http://www.shanghaiexpat.com
    http://www.smartshanghai.com
    Eat & ride safe, PAL

3. #3 Re: 1st visit to Shanghai. Need some local help. (for places to eat) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    As a Shanghai resident and Californian (northern) myself, I'd be interested to know about quality Mexican food. But I'm not holding my breath, and I don't think you should either, Darren.

Now if you are interested in good craft beer and quality western pub grub, you could do a lot worse than the Boxing Cat in Fuxing Xi Lu.

When do you arrive?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: 1st visit to Shanghai. Need some local help. (for places to eat) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    We will be in town from Aug 10th until the 16th. My kids get there on the 12th. We're heading there early so the wife can do a little shopping.

I will hit the pub for sure I can never pass up a good beer! If your around let me know it's always nice to meet a fellow rider, I buy the 1st round.

I would be happy with TacoBell at this point lol I never thought i would miss cheese so much. Yichang is still a bit of a farm town and lacks alot when it comes to foods from other parts of the world. But if you like hot food and good fish it is great.

5. #5 Re: 1st visit to Shanghai. Need some local help. (for places to eat) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Darren,

Oh, so you're the type to plan ahead! I barely know what I'm doing this week, much less next month. I do look forward to meeting.

As one who's lived in China for 20 years, I suppose I've learned to live with what China gives, and stop pining for things she doesn't. I share your love of cheese, and it's one of the imports I find myself buying despite the sticker shock. There is some good cheese made in Beijing and Inner Mongolia, but of course the Shanghainese would never deign to like domestic versions of foreign things, so they are impossible to get here. Where possible, I make my own. I brew my own ale (because I can't face another pissy Chinese lager), I bake my own bread (because in Shanghai "bread" means a soft, sweet, light, white spongelike substance; think Wonder Bread), and make my own yogurt (again, I don't much enjoy the runny, sweetened and otherwise adulterated Chinese version). I also grow herbs on my balcony, which is a huge advantage when making salads, roasting meats, and otherwise replicating flavors from the west. Wish I could raise goats; while Beijing has fantastic lamb because of its large domestic and diplomatic Muslim populations, Shanghainese regard lamb solely as something to put in hot pot, and then only in winter. The barbecued skewers sold on sidewalks are 99% fat, and often rancid. The only meat you can buy in Shanghai groceries, even foreign ones like Carrefour and Tesco, is pork, seafood (admittedly a huge and wonderful variety of fresh fish), some poultry and certain cuts of beef.

At the end of the day, I usually just give in and enjoy the wonderful bounty that makes up China's culinary landscape, and eat (more than) my fill of coveted favorites during trips home.

/rant

I'll PM you my contacts.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: 1st visit to Shanghai. Need some local help. (for places to eat) 
    A favorite Mexican restaurant hang out in Shanghai is Cantina Agave

Cantina Agave is a Taqueria & Tequila Bar serving authentic Mexican food in a casual setting. They have over 50 different kinds of tequila - I like their Jose Ginger drink

Address: Rm. 01A-2, 1/F, 291 Fumin Lu
    富民路291号01A-2室

Vicinity: French Concession

Directions: near Changle Lu, Metro Line 1 Changshu Lu Station or Shaan Xi Nan Lu Station
    近长乐路,地铁1号线常熟路站或陕西南路站

7. #7 Re: 1st visit to Shanghai. Need some local help. (for places to eat) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    A favorite Mexican restaurant hang out in Shanghai is Cantina Agave

Cantina Agave is a Taqueria & Tequila Bar serving authentic Mexican food in a casual setting. They have over 50 different kinds of tequila - I like their Jose Ginger drink

Address: Rm. 01A-2, 1/F, 291 Fumin Lu
    富民路291号01A-2室

Vicinity: French Concession

Directions: near Changle Lu, Metro Line 1 Changshu Lu Station or Shaan Xi Nan Lu Station
    近长乐路,地铁1号线常熟路站或陕西南路站