Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: New E-Bike

1. #1 New E-Bike 
    Yamaha unveils zero-emission electric motor scooter

It will start exports to Taiwan and Europe in 2011, and forecasts total demand to reach 300,000 to 500,000 units by the mid-2010s as it expands into other markets, such as China.
    "China is the largest market for electric bicycles, with estimated annual demand exceeding 20 million units," Yamaha said in a statement.
    Andy

2. #2 Re: New E-Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    zero-emissions eh what about all the coal you got to burn to make the electricity to run these zero-emission vehicles.

3. #3 Re: New E-Bike 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yeah, what bigdamo said.

And also, what makes this yammie any different from the 10000 other ebike models being produced in China? OK, I'm guessing that being a Yammie blessed by the president of Yammie Japan it's got better build quality, but really what's new here? These bikes, once in the China market (and surely they will be made here as well), will deteriorate in quality just as fast as local brands because of the well-known lack of any concept of proper maintenance, and the battery once it shakes loose will be secured by multiple wrappings of mylar shipping tape, if that. Because they are quiet and fast, they will result in just as many accidents as local models.

Oh, now I see the reason for this story, in the penultimate paragraph: Yammie has been getting its yammer whipped in the ebike market, and is now making another go. Leave it to AFP to pass this press release off as news, and to bury the lead. Do they have red envelopes in Japan?

Here's how I'd have written it:

Yamaha Motorcycles, having failed in previous attempts to enter the global market for electric motorcycles, has unveiled its latest offering -- a scooter with a 43km range that Yamaha hopes to sell by the millions in China.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: New E-Bike 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    no big deal, not that news worthy IMHO. I had a large sized escooter in Ningbo, that would do around 50-60km on a full charge and would take around 6-8 hr to recharge. Granted it was heavy, since it had a whole line of lead-acid batteries wired together in series to give 36 or 48v (can't remember now), but it was a proper full sized scooter frame that actually had a petrol motorised equivalent which is the reason I bought it, even though every dealer recommended a smaller framed ecycle design with pedals so that I could get the range I wanted at the time. Yet, not one of them were interested one i-ota about satisfying my wish to buy lithium ion batteries... I'll try an dig out a few photos. Catch was that the scooter I had (which then a few other foreigners bought, with my assistance) was too big size and output and is banned in a few cities... like Shanghai.

5. #5 Re: New E-Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    zero-emissions eh what about all the coal you got to burn to make the electricity to run these zero-emission vehicles.
    That's too easy thinking man. There are two things for both, the electric powered and combustion powered vehicles, energy consumption / emissions AFTER re-charging or re-fueling and BEFORE.
    Generating electricity isn't free of emissions, neither is refining and transporting gasoline to the pumps.
    I don't know which one is worse but I'm afraid it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    no big deal, not that news worthy IMHO.
    It fired up a discussion at least
    Andy

6. #6 Re: New E-Bike 
    I was thinking Electric was the way to go but now I am thinking hydrogen.

7. #7 Re: New E-Bike 
    I was thinking Electric was the way to go but now I am thinking hydrogen.
    You'll probably change your mind after reading this
    Andy

8. #8 Re: New E-Bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    You'll probably change your mind after reading this
    I haven't read all that yet but I see the Germans are doing good things with Hydrogen vehicles.There smart those Germans

9. #9 Re: New E-Bike 
    I haven't read all that yet but I see the Germans are doing good things with Hydrogen vehicles.There smart those Germans
    Ok I read it.Hydrogen isn't perfect.Neither is electric powered vehicles.

So far with electric powered vehicles what we can maybe travel 100klms at relatively slow speeds then have to recharge(if you can find somewhere to recharge the electric vehicle)for what eight hours.

Maybe we should go back to the horse and cart.

At least I have my bicycles.