Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 So, who's lying? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I was being curious around AliBaba and the HKTDC websites, doing some searches on motorcycles and I noticed that many motorcycles were being shown for sale by different companies while still being the exact same product (many times showing the very same picture); so I'm wondering, in this case, WHO IS LYING?

"Xingyue Group Co."
    "Shanghai Tandem Motor Co., Limited"
    "Farspeed Vehicle Industry Co., Ltd."

Motorcycle in question:

On Xingyue's website:
    http://en.xingyue.com/xy/web/product...=44&fact=motor

On Tandem's website:
    http://www.tandem-motor.com/pro_view.asp?id=749

On Farspeed's website:
    http://www.farspeedmoto.com/FPM400E-Y_638.html

On Farspeed's website they put a watermark all across the picture like saying "DON'T STEAL OUR PICTURE!", HAHAHA, but then on Xinguye's they have way more pictures about the same bike without watermarks... but if you go to the "About US" section, and click on "Factory Tour", all the "factory" pictures look to be 100% photoshops made with screens of a Teletubbies TV episode... Tandem's website only has one picture...

...so what the hell? who's making these 400cc motorcycles?

(if you search on AliBaba for 400cc motorcycles I think you'll find out that there are even more companies "manufacturing" and selling these).

Maybe I'm being a totall n00b and missing something, but like I said on my introduction topic, I'm completely ignorant about china motorcycles and China in general, so the only thing I have is a bag full of skepticism and probably a lot of prejudices against buying anything china-made, specially by guiding myself through "on-line" information (horror stories about gullible people sending money to receive nothing in exchange come to mind).

2. #2 Re: So, who's lying? 
    C-Moto Regular
    BTW, I got indignant and distracted with this when I was searching for something that I saw a day or two ago on the web and wanted to find again (BUT I CAN'T!!!) :

The other day I was browsing AliBaba, the HongKong Trade Developement Council website or one of those similar websites when I saw a motorcycle (that I'm almost sure it was a Qingqi) that looked good but I had no chance to read further on it and do some research at that moment. Now researching on Qingqi's website, I came to the conclusion that It looked like a Qingqi SPORT(QM200-2D) but with QM200GY Motard suspension.

I don't know how to put it, but it looked like a Motard but with the QM200-2D seat and round headlight or like a QM200-2D with a Motard "stance". Also it had hard saddlebags on its sides... like a Ducati Multistrada-meets-SportClassic sort of motorcycle āla Qingqi... painted in grey/silver... but now I can't find that one or any info on Qingqi's website

Any ideas of what I saw?

3. #3 Re: So, who's lying? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Yo need to be certain your dealing with a manufacturer and not just an assembler. Also for gawds sake don't believe the photos you see on websites, especially these kind of no name brands... check the branding, check the manufacturer, do your due diligence. If the price is far below what would be usual, then what corners they cutting to reduce the price point? Lots...

What you may find with the 400cc bike in question is that all the manufacturers (maybe not manufacturing at all) they're just assemblers and just stick on their own brand/logo and they're just sourcing from the same supplier/manufacturer for the majority of the parts and then they in turn just assemble them to their requirements. Its a fairly typical manufacturing method, especially here in PRC. You may notice some small subtleties between the http://en.xingyue.com/xy/web/product...=44&fact=motor and http://www.tandem-motor.com/pro_view.asp?id=749 but one has to be careful, best to go see each manufacturers operation and assembly lines yourself. Lots of caution needed with suppliers and manufacturers in PRC.

4. #4 Re: So, who's lying? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Chinese manufacturers and producers do copy other manufacturers products, even Chinese brands are copied, that's partly why it's important to always look at products really carefully (e.g. food) in smaller supermarkets in smaller suburbs/towns and other sometimes not so out of the way places. I made that mistake (but it applies to everything made here);
    bought an energy drink from a small village ma & pa shop after a group of us had been white water rafting in a national tourist spot not far from where I live. I bought a round of refreshments for the group from this little shop in the town that the rafting is based from. I'm talking a small village. Anyway after buying the drinks we left, and sometime later when I opened the bottle of my drink, I noticed that the seal was missing. I know the brand well and I know that the particular brand applies a vacuum seal to their bottled refreshments etc. So it's likely that the shop or maybe even a supplier had intercepted the bottle and removed some of the original product and then topped it up, or maybe just someone drank some it -who knows... but I didn't drink it, just tipped it out and disposed of the empty bottle far away from there.
    One time I bought some snacks (of a well known brand) from a bigger supermarket only 15km from a city centre. Opened the bag and proceeded to eat, but the snack tasted gross. Later when I got home my wife (Chinese) found the packet and then asked where I bought it... then kind of went crazy and told me it was a fake (copied) by some little village some place... copied a famous or better known Chinese brand.
    It went into the trash. I can read some Chinese characters, and should have been more careful and am so more... That's partly why I make sure that I dispose of rubbish/trash in such a way that certain things can't be reused, call it paranoid but I have been here too long and been privy to many things that would make peoples head spin. For example, I snap those disposable chopsticks (which one has to be careful of anyway because of production techniques and issues), I snap or break plastic spoons/forks/knives, bascially anything that could be reused in food/medicines etc. in some way, I make sure to make it not worth someone's effort.

WTF! don't trust nothing in China. period!

5. #5 Re: So, who's lying? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Dude, are you my clone or something? HOLY &·$%! I also do the same you do with the chopsticks/spoons/forks/knives/cups, etc for the same reason! (and when I throw away something that someone else might need, I throw it in a bag so it doesn't get damaged or dirty)...

...but going back to motorcycles; how can I discover who's the real manufacturer of a certain motorcycle in China?

(I'm curious about many of them!)

6. #6 Re: So, who's lying? 
    private own factory is the trickiest, try gather as much info as you can. Among those three, i only heard of xingyue, my little 2 cent.

7. #7 Re: So, who's lying? 
    quick search, i found this video. did he speak French?
    http://www.tudou.com/v/XvE8zpiSrIg/v.swf
    lol, the dog smell an intruder.

8. #8 Re: So, who's lying? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks bikerdoc and td_ref for your help/opinions.

By the way, I just found out about that bike that I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by PandaBeat View Post
    BTW, I got indignant and distracted with this when I was searching for something that I saw a day or two ago on the web and wanted to find again (BUT I CAN'T!!!) :

The other day I was browsing AliBaba, the HongKong Trade Developement Council website or one of those similar websites when I saw a motorcycle (that I'm almost sure it was a Qingqi) that looked good but I had no chance to read further on it and do some research at that moment. Now researching on Qingqi's website, I came to the conclusion that It looked like a Qingqi SPORT(QM200-2D) but with QM200GY Motard suspension.

I don't know how to put it, but it looked like a Motard but with the QM200-2D seat and round headlight or like a QM200-2D with a Motard "stance". Also it had hard saddlebags on its sides... like a Ducati Multistrada-meets-SportClassic sort of motorcycle āla Qingqi... painted in grey/silver... but now I can't find that one or any info on Qingqi's website

Any ideas of what I saw?

It was this, listed as "QM250GY-2D Traffic"

AND I NEED IT!!!!!

9. #9 Re: So, who's lying? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    quick search, i found this video. did he speak French?
    http://www.tudou.com/v/XvE8zpiSrIg/v.swf
    Good find dude!

He speaks chilean spanish and is saying that the motorcycle is a Volken XY400 also comercialized there as Futong XY400 and that he thinks it's for sale in europe as a "Motiva Fusion". The heat shield on the exhaust fell off and had to get it re-welded and some of the plastics arrived broken but that was covered by warranty and was handled smoothly he says. Also the tail part with the reflectors used to touch the wheel when loaded with 2 ppl so he had to cut it to shorten it. He says it's a bit problematic to start sometimes when cold so he has to use the choke. "The exhaust is hideous". Also he's going to fit side hard saddlebags so he's thinking about the future location of the turn signals...

AWESOME!

10. #10 Re: So, who's lying? 
    too bad i couldn't understand spanish but my humbler English.
    according to this thread, http://www.moto8.cn/thread-36157-1-1.html, the bike was branded as xingyue, and the guy posted the thread says the bike is registrable in China. Since it has a choke the bike has carburettor. would be nicer if it is fuel injected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast