Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    Those Akito suits are kinda weird. They have a removable waterproof lining which goes on the inside. That mean the suit gets drenched anyway, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I have one of these Bering rain suits. It keeps the rain out nicely and is pretty visible in shitty weather. It's pretty big though, when packed tightly it's about the size of a small-ish sleeping bag.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4400215781

2. #22 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Those Akito suits are kinda weird. They have a removable waterproof lining which goes on the inside. That mean the suit gets drenched anyway, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I have one of these Bering rain suits. It keeps the rain out nicely and is pretty visible in shitty weather. It's pretty big though, when packed tightly it's about the size of a small-ish sleeping bag.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4400215781
    Wow, that looks like a good solution! Is this an outer suit that you can wear over your regular jacket and pants? So when the weather clears, you can just remove the Bering suit, roll it up into a stuff sack and lash it onto the back of your bike?

I still think the Akito looks good (especially on the photogenic Vs), and it gets very good reviews for keeping you dry, even if the waterproof membrane is on the inside.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Is this an outer suit that you can wear over your regular jacket and pants? So when the weather clears, you can just remove the Bering suit, roll it up into a stuff sack and lash it onto the back of your bike?
    Bingo!

The akito suit is probably fine. I've never owned one so can't comment directly but i think ChinaV was pissed at his because all the zips broke after a short while. I guess he'll correct me if that's wrong.

4. #24 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    That Taobao seller is here in Shanghai, and I'm trying to contact him. If possible I'd like to go see the Bering suit and get the right fit.

thanks again.
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #25 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    C-Moto Senior
    I like the Bering suit too.

One piece - good
    Black legs, wont show grime - good
    High vis lime yellow/reflectors - great
    Step-in entry, more waterproof - good
    Reasonable price - great
    Elastic around the waist - good

I think that just made my list.

It's made for riding or I would question the fit around the crotch area because usually they are very baggy and this makes the hems ride up when you mount the bike.

One question remains though, can a fella take a piss in this thing?
    Last edited by Maux; 04-23-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: SP!

6. #26 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    Going to the little boys room is not the most practical, but perfectly achievable. You have to unzip the front all the way down, but the zip goes low enough that you you don't need to take the whole thing off. After a couple of times you can do the whole saga without even removing your gloves.

7. #27 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    Scout Waterproof Boot

A tall muti use, all season riding boot suitable for dual sport touring bikes or sportbikes. Scout is a durable, waterproof leather boot with a stitched sole engineered for exceptional grip on slippery surfaces.

I have walked in water up to the third buckle without getting wet feet. They are not goretex, but they do seem to breathe OK. Wore them every day during my two month USA tour last summer and they were fine for walking and short hikes to scenic spots. Fantastic protection, probably would have broken my ankle when I got pinned under my bike last fall if I wasn't wearing them. I love these boots and $279.00 is pretty reasonable for such a good product.

My short review of the Akito suit from ADV Rider:
    It's a mid grade riding suit, as the material is polyester, not cordura. It comes with two liners, one for rain and one for cold. The knox armor is very good. My main beef with the suit is the zippers and snaps are very low quality and eventually the vents end up permanently open. It has no water resistance at all, even after I treated it, so you have to use the rain liner, even in a brief shower. Even with liners, still seem to get wet.

On the plus side, it's comfortable, and it saved my bacon when I crashed in Yunnan. On the negative, the stitching came apart, so I consider it a disposable one crash suit. Give it a 6 out of 10 for durability, 9 out of 10 for comfort (dry), and 7 out of 10 for value.

The rain suit Felix pointed out is nice, but it's a bit bulky and hot if I remember right from comments he made during our ride in Yunnan last summer. One thing I hate about rain suits is all the extra weight they add in with pockets and excessive liners. Marmot and Frog toggs are great lightweight options to minimize bulk.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #28 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    Excellent reviews, ChinaV! Thanks.

FYI, here's the Scout on Taobao for 2200 RMB (or about US$340).

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #29 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well yeah, I figured with the step in zipper it would be possible. I guess what I should have said was "can a fella piss OUT of this thing?" because naturally you could piss in anything.

I had two pairs of Frog Toggs in the states and one pair ripped when I was trying to put them on. The ripped all the way around waist so I had to pull them up real high and eventually they ripped all the way around. The second pair held up much better. They are nice, lightweight, and dont cost too much.

10. #30 Re: Waterproof gear? 
    From the diagrams in the taobao ad that Felix posted, it looks as if the zipper is not particularly well positioned, anatomically speaking, for a fella, unless said fella's plumbing is located somewhere on his right thigh. Or am I misreading the diagram?

I'm hoping to find this seller and try this Bering suit on.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast