So I go to the doctor because I've got and infected cut on my arm, quite common in this hot and humid weather. I go to see the doctor at a clinic who is better than 98% of the hospital doctors. Treatment was OK, having treated my own wounds before....but the dressing! The sticky dressing first fell of in about 30 seconds, the next one she tried to wrap around the whole arm in sections. This one lasted about 4 minutes. Then I went back and she wrapped a whole piece of sticky dressing around it and tried to hold it down with extra strips of super narrow surgical tape. This one made it about 30 minutes. Then I remembered! I have some plasters, dressing and surgical tape from the UK in a drawer at home so I dress my own wound... and it's still on my arm 6 hours later and going strong!

So why can I do a better job of doing something than someone who's job it is to do that thing? Why is this the hundredth thing? Why can I go to a bar, and I can pour a better beer than the barman? I go to a servo, but I can fill my own bike without spilling fuel all over my tank? I can change my oil without leaving 30% of the old oil in the bike and then overfilling it? I can paint a wall without leaving paint splatter for a 100 yard radius? I know that low grade steel window bars will leave brown streaks in a few months? Are these people having a laugh at my expense because I'm a foreigner? Is there something going on I can't understand?