Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Glad I found this place... 
    Hi All, I'm a new member from Shanghai. I found a lot of informative info here already. Great site!

-Wrangler

2. #2 Re: Glad I found this place... 
    welcome, tell us a bit more about you and your motorcycle.

3. #3 Re: Glad I found this place... 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    welcome, tell us a bit more about you and your motorcycle.
    I used to ride a long time ago. Came to Shanghai and recently got one of those vespa look alike scooters just for fun (which it seems like everyone has now). Then my staff took me to jiatong lu and jiaoji lu and I saw all the modding going on and heard the motorcycles roaring, smelled the exhaust, and something in me just clicked.

Bought another scooter, a Yamaha Cygnus Z, which for whatever reason, is classified as a motorbike. I think it will keep me happy for a while till I get the urge for something faster. Can't wait to get through the break-in period. Going to get my license and "Hu C" plates soon, if I can figure the damn process out.

-Wrangler

4. #4 Re: Glad I found this place... 
    There are a couple of other lunatics here that somehow enjoy scooters! To me it is a bit like riding a horse then discovering donkeys .... not that I am prejudiced. Most of what you ever could want to know is somewhere here already so a lot of folk don't answer questions much unless specifically interested or unless you are very persistent. People seem to respond better to pics (of anything), a bit like babies in prams, lots of 'oohs' and 'that's nice, where did you get it?" The 'search' function can be weird but keywords will help. Have fun and if you get lost in the threads yell for help.

5. #5 Re: Glad I found this place... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Going to get my license and "Hu C" plates soon, if I can figure the damn process out.

-Wrangler
    Intead of trying to figure the damn process out, try to track down those people who know the process and do it for ignorant people like us for a living. There are plenty of those, who always crowd the entrances to DMVs and their branches' like flies. Search for a reliable/reputable one who charges reasoable fees, as they vary hugely. They are locally known as 黄牛 (HuangNiu, "Yellow Buffalo") Actually most Chinese use them as well. I'd think they probably know better not to attempt it.

If you read Chinese, the following site is good for information, fees and phone numbers:
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/f_75.htm

For other special issues of expats, such as the residence permit required for owning a motorbike, this forum is a good place to glean informatioin.

By the way, "Hu C" plate is not allowed to enter any districts inside the "inner ring" 内环 and many others outside of it. It is usually not a problem riding around in Shanghai with "Hu C" plate and any violation only costs you 200RMB (it would take many many tickets and fines to make up the difference in cost between "Hu C" and "Hu A"). However, in order to apply for one you need to reside in a district that allows "Hu C", if you do decide to stomach the hassles.