Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    A few of us have intellectualized this situation the same way you are - and the 50元 or 200元 fine does seem quite small, especially compared against the investment of a 沪-A Plate.

But you may also want to look beyond the fines and consider the potential liabilities if you find yourself in a bad situation while riding downtown with just a 沪-C Plate. In this case you are illegal and you could be arguing that the farmer and his truck of watermelons pulled out in front of you without looking, but he will have a different story and he may have all of his paperwork in order, unlike you.

As you can see there is security with the 沪-A Plate beyond just immunity from the stops by the police - and these stops for both ebikes and motorbikes are greater this summer with the Expo happening.

No one wants to pay the huge amount for a 沪-A Plate, but if you can find the resources then maybe you should consider it a "deposit", rather than an expense. As the plate system works now, you can always put your plate back into the auction system for market price which is currently trending up and up.

* Caveat is "as the plate system works now". TIC

2. #12 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Well guys, just to follow-up. I am in the process of getting my riders license. Man, what a pain! Also got my scooter towed yesterday. I went to the impound today and they wouldn't let me pull it out because 1) I don't have plates. 2) I don't have my license yet. I need to bring someone with a license to pull it out. They also told me the process would take 20 days. To add insult to injury, I inspected my bike. Someone keyed it and the fairing was all scratched as if it was dragged on the ground.

So it seems like Shanghai is really on the offensive for gas powered motorscooters in general. Now it's illegal for gas stations to fill up a non-shanghai plated scooter (but why is it ok for cars?). In addition, I was told that once you get your plate for your bike, and if you ever get a new bike, your plate cannot be transferred to your new bike - only to a car.

So all this has led me to decide to get a motorcycle with plates this time around. Hope to get your guys thoughts in a separate thread.

Here's a pic of my scooter getting towed. I jumped on the tow truck but they wouldn't release the scooter to me. Bastids...
    Attached Images

3. #13 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Sorry to hear about the scooter. Is that a Yamaha? New fairing should not be too expensive at the shops on Jaoje Lu. I think once you get the license the police should be a little kinder to you. Why did the police impound your bike? Did you get stopped or did they take it off the street?

Also, above you mention getting Shanghai C plates, how are you doing this? I was told that they weren't making those anymore.

4. #14 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Yes that's a Yamaha. Powerful, but kind of flashy. It's been keyed, scratched, and had my seats slashed for no apparent reason.

The police impounded the bike because I was parked "illegally" in an alleyway on the side of the road. I went into a store to get something and 10 minutes later the alarm was sounding and it was on the back of the truck. It was quick! At least they weren't thieves.

The Yamaha dealer told me 2 months that I could get the "Hu" C plate - I would just need to register it under the Houkou of a Shanghai Resident living outside the inner circle. I am not getting the C plate anymore however. I decided to go for the A plates. I believe Shanghai has a hidden initiative against motobikes and the traffic enforcement is doing everything possible to get motobikes off the road and making it extremely difficult or prohibitively expensive.

-Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Sorry to hear about the scooter. Is that a Yamaha? New fairing should not be too expensive at the shops on Jaoje Lu. I think once you get the license the police should be a little kinder to you. Why did the police impound your bike? Did you get stopped or did they take it off the street?

Also, above you mention getting Shanghai C plates, how are you doing this? I was told that they weren't making those anymore.

5. #15 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Unfortunately my visa is registered in Hangzhou. Does anyone know the addresses and procedure for the relevant theory and licence issuing bureaus in Hangzhou?

Also, I assume that a Shanghai approved Translation of my UK licence will be sufficient for the Hangzhou traffic bureau? That said, this kind of assumption in China is a fools errand!

One other thing, my UK driving licence comes with a card and a paper document. The paper document is presently back in the UK. I take it I will need this as well... any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

6. #16 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I'm not sure if this is the BEST place to go for your driving license in Shanghai, but these guys surely have the most FUN...

errr, cheers!

Drunk instructor

Published on ShanghaiDaily.com
    http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...755&type=Metro

Created: 2011-3-9 1:19:29

A DRIVING school instructor and three of his students have been detained for alleged drunk driving and punching police officers.

The incident occurred in Baoshan District about 9pm on March 3, police said. The instructor will be detained for 15 days and fined 2,000 yuan (US$304), while his students will receive short-term detentions.

Copyright © 2001-2009 Shanghai Daily Publishing House
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Ahhh, that's why the Baoshan people drive the way they do. I bet they were driving a black VW Santana too.

8. #18 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    I recently applied for my driving licence here in Shanghai (I do not have a driving licence at home), here's how:

Materials: Passport, Registration of temporary residence from the po-lis, 1,300 RMB

Step 1: Medical Check:
    Learn basic chinese and/or load up your favorite translator on your currently illegal bike and depart for 哈密路 1330 号 HaMi Lu. no. 1330. Alternatively google maps has awesome search functions that gives you bus directions, this will become indispensable as you will often be travelling in uncharted territory and taxi drivers can smell it on you.
    When there building 9 and 10 are the houses of photography and farcical medical check. Pictures first (building 9 I believe) then to the other building, fill out a form pay your money and procede down the small alley, you will be directed upstairs. If you like, like me, like red stamps better wear two sets of underwear because you will cream yourself. After the medical check, heavily stamped (and deeply satisfied) you will recieve documentation proving that your heart beats, you can see, hear etc.
    This should all cost in the region of 100 rmb. Then back on the bike or, if you came by bus\metro, take a bike taxi from outside the complex to 沪青平公路\吴宝路 huqingping gong lu\ wubao lu. This will cost 15 rmb.

2: From the above intersection walk down wubao lu, after a few hundred metres you will see a gate on your right into the bike school. After you pass the first buiding you will see 2 (maybe three) more. In between two of them you will see some stairs on the outside of the building going up to the second floor. Get up there, fill in your forms, give them your med. check, passport and residence thingy, lay down 1090 rmb for "E" licence and you're done. Go home, have a beer, play a game of mahzhong with your neighbours, it's mostly waiting from here on. You will get called in 10 days to come do your written test (and collect your passport!) and after that for driving classes and test.

The test questions in english are available online, search the forums and you will find a link. Those questions are from 2008 and are still valid. Most of the questions are stupid and you may think some of the answers are wrong but they're not, trust, Just memorize them. if you have problems with this kind of thing use ANKI (free downloadable flashcard program) and copy into it every question and answer that is not blatantly obvious (I selected around 200 from the 800) and learn that s*it.

Euphonius you may want to use this info to update your earlier post. The xinzhuang centre is no longer operational (for motorcycles) and this is the only centre (I know of, tho I think there may be one in hongkou)) to get your licence.

The entire test process should take 50 days max

9. #19 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks for the detailed update, and your good humor, CC.

It should be made clear that the licensing procedure that you are describing is for anyone who does NOT have a valid motorcycle license from their home country, and is starting from scratch in China. Those of us fortunate to have a valid foreign motorcycle license can omit the entire training and road testing procedure. All you have to do is the paperwork at Shanghai's main Vehicle Management Bureau at 179 Qingchun Road (Near Metro Line 5 Chunshen Road Station; Line 5 starts at the south end of Line 1). Unlegss this procedure has changed.

Also, when I did my license a bit more than a year ago, the health check was available right at the Qingchun Road Vehicle Management Bureau. All the poking and prodding happens right there, while you wait. No need to go to the Hami Lu center, which is where most of us get our health checks for our residence permits (long-term visas). Has this changed?

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Yea it has, I had my chinese friend talk to them on the phone and they said they moved it quite some time ago. That huge driving complex only does cars now. They said I needed to go to hongkou somewhere, then I finally made them understand that I dont have a licence at home either and they just told me I needed to find a driving school.

The place on HaMi lu is near the medical centre for the residence permit but is not the same. I guess maybe it is a new vehicle management place because you can also convert your licence there (building 1).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast