Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Hi All,

I'm new here. Can anyone tell me where I can get my motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? Do I have to take a course and do a written and driving test? I heard it's about 800 RMB. I already have my china driver's license.

Also, off topic, I am getting a yellow "C" plate for my 125cc scooter but will be riding my scooter downtown. How strictly do the police check/enforce for the A plate if I already have a C plate.

Thanks in advance!

2. #2 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Guru
    If you have Foreign Motor Cycle Drivers License then you should have told the guys who made your China Drivers License that you want Motorcycle (D/E) too -If you have no Motorcycle License you must do Practical Driving Test and Theoretical Test. Details somewhere on this board... Have Fun!

3. #3 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new here. Can anyone tell me where I can get my motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? Do I have to take a course and do a written and driving test? I heard it's about 800 RMB. I already have my china driver's license.

Also, off topic, I am getting a yellow "C" plate for my 125cc scooter but will be riding my scooter downtown. How strictly do the police check/enforce for the A plate if I already have a C plate.

Thanks in advance!

euphonius from this forum is THE man with all Shanghai related driving and bike licensing knowledge.

In general: no residence permit - no driving license - no vehicle rego in your name.

Good Luck
    Andy

4. #4 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Wrangler - If you are starting from scratch (you don't have a motorcycle license from your home country), the head over to Junti in Hongkou District and they will provide you with course registration and point you in the right direction to get your physical exam - The SH Driver's License Center which is also in Hongkou.

The 2-wheel moto license will cost you 750元 (E照 二轮摩托车) + 450元 to rent a bike for the practical exam.
    Whole process from exam to license will take about 8weeks.

Shanghai Junti Qiche Jiashi Peixun
    http://www.shjtpx.com/
    21-5677-0185

地 址:上海市虹口区广中路444号
    邮 编:200083
    报名热线:56770185 56652872*4180
    投诉电话:56659531
    邮箱地址:jtpx@shjtpx.com

* Alternatively there's another center out near Xinzhuang you can check out if that's more convenient.

Good Luck!

5. #5 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Seeing as how I've got my Canadian motorcycle license, can someone point me to where I can go to in Shanghai to get started on the paperwork for a Chinese one? I just finally got my Shanghai residence permit last week!

6. #6 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Seeing as how I've got my Canadian motorcycle license, can someone point me to where I can go to in Shanghai to get started on the paperwork for a Chinese one? I just finally got my Shanghai residence permit last week!
    Be ponted to euphonius, he went through all this recently.
    Andy

7. #7 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    With an overseas license and residence permit, you are good to go. No need to do the 10-hour on-the-bike training. You have to get your Canadian license translated at a place in Beijing Lu, then present it and some other documents and yourself at the cheguansuo down in Minhang for processing and the 100-question test. The various expat websites cover this, but some of the info is dated. I've attached a fairly recent write-up that I've copied from shanghaiexpat, which describes the process that I went through a few months ago pretty accurately. The difference is that I got my foreign license translated at this place in Beijing Lu, at the corner of Xikang Lu. So it's behind the Portman/Shanghai Center.

上海市外事翻译工作者协会
    Shanghai Interpreters' Association
    北京西路1277号(国旅大厦)1607室
    Rm. 1607, No. 1277 Beijing Road (W)
    Tel. 63239910
    Go early in the day if you can. There are special lines for foreigners, but all the paperwork health check take a few hours because it's always crowded. If you get through all the preliminaries, you can then go to the test center, where they'll try to schedule you for some future date. If it's early enough in the day, however, and there is space, they'll schedule you immediately. So it's possible to do everything and walk out with a license on the same day -- assuming you nail 90 questions or more. (I got 88 my first try.) My strong suggestion: Study all 1500 questions beforehand, and then review all 1500 the night before you go. This way all the logical answers, and also the illogical ones, are fresh in your mind, and you can remember which ones to answer illogically vs logically.

By the way, this cheguansuo is 5 minutes' walk from the No.5 Metro, which starts at the south end of the No.1 line. I think it's the second stop, Chunshen Road.

Good luck.

Here is some information on “How to Get a Driver’s License in Shanghai”?

There are two steps towards getting your Driving License: Applying for the test and taking the test. If you can speak English you can do the whole process on your own with minimal effort! In summary all they are doing is transferring your current home country license to a Chinese license.

In order to get your driver’s license, you need to bring the following things:

* Passport with valid Chinese Visa
    * Valid Residents Permit for China
    * Current Address in Chinese
    * Chinese Name “Chinese Business Card”
    * A legal translation of your home country Driver's License by a certified translator. (See address below).

Note: No medical record, passport photo’s, etc. is required as this will be done at the Shanghai Vehicle Management Bureau “Driving License Authority”

Procedure

* Get your current driving license translated from one of the places listed below;
    * Head to Shanghai Vehicle Management Bureau in Minhang District with all the above documents;
    * Go directly to building 12 and get photocopies of the following items (Current Driving License, Passport Picture Page and Resident Permit Page).
    * Take the photocopies with the Certified Translation of your Driving License to the window at the back of the room and pay for your photo’s which you will be taking in few minitures;
    * Head to the photo taking room next to the photocopying window, show them your receipt to get your pictures taken, this should take about 10 minutes;
    * Take your pictures and follow the signs to medical examination area;
    * Pay for the medical exam fees when you arrive at the building, and fill in the 2 forms that you will be given, affix photos and pass to nurse. Tests conducted are (Sight, Audiography and Colorblindness);
    * When done with the medical examination, take all your paper work and head to building 8, a clerk will check your information and ask you to head to room 200 on the second floor, your documents will be checked again and then asked to head to building 9 where you will schedule for you written “computer” test;
    * Upon scheduling for a date to take your written test you will be given a slip with the date and time of your exam and a pink booklet to study for your test “The questions in the exam are identical to the booklet but in different order”;
    * On the exam day, head back with your appointment slip and all the documents you took with you the first time, go directly to building 9 and take your written exam.
    * The exams is 100 question, you have to answer 90 questions out of 100 in 45 minutes in order to pass, if you answered 90 questions correctly the test will automatically stop, and the same goes if you answer more the 10 questions wrong.
    * If you pass, see the clerks in the same room to stamp your documents and head back to building 8 (room 200) on the second floor to get the final stamp, go back downstairs in the same building and pay for issuing your License, head back upstairs to the large waiting room in the middle of the building and show all your documents with your last receipt to the clerk at window 16, you will get issued a number/ticket, wait until your number is called and you will have your new license in approximately 20 minutes.

Addresses

Translation Services

The Shanghai Association of Foreign Affairs Translators
    Suites 702-4 China Tourism Office Building
    No.66, Nanjing Dong Lu (Near The Bund, Subway Line 2 - Nanjing Dong Station)
    Telephone No.: 021 6323 9181 / 6323 3988 / 6323 3608

The Shanghai SISU Translation Service Co.
    No.3, Lane 100, Dong Tiyuhui Lu (Near Dalian Xi Lu)
    Telephone No.: 021 6587 7585 (Ext.215 / 216)

Driving License Issuing Authority

Shanghai Vehicle Management Bureau
    179 Qinchun Road (Near Subway Line 1 – Chunshen Road Station)

Cost

50 RMB - Certified Translation
    200 RMB - License (Test, Photo’s, Photocopying, Medical Examination)

Notes:
    International Driver’s Permit (IDP) is not valid in China; and they simply treat the IDP just like any other foreign license. If you have an IDP, you must follow the same procedure as everyone else.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I have a file that helps with the test...but somehow the upload function is not doing what I want. If need let me know via PM

9. #9 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    Yup, I'm starting from scratch. Well guess I have to put in my time with the 10 hours. Thanks Motokai for the info.

I think the funny thing is it seems most 80% of the people here riding don't have licenses or plates. It's not the skill they are lacking, it's the etiquette.

Thanks again!
    -Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    Wrangler - If you are starting from scratch (you don't have a motorcycle license from your home country), the head over to Junti in Hongkou District and they will provide you with course registration and point you in the right direction to get your physical exam - The SH Driver's License Center which is also in Hongkou.

The 2-wheel moto license will cost you 750元 (E照 二轮摩托车) + 450元 to rent a bike for the practical exam.
    Whole process from exam to license will take about 8weeks.

Shanghai Junti Qiche Jiashi Peixun
    http://www.shjtpx.com/
    21-5677-0185

地 址:上海市虹口区广中路444号
    邮 编:200083
    报名热线:56770185 56652872*4180
    投诉电话:56659531
    邮箱地址:jtpx@shjtpx.com

* Alternatively there's another center out near Xinzhuang you can check out if that's more convenient.

Good Luck!

10. #10 Re: Where to get motorcycle riders license in Shanghai? 
    I was just reading this link:

http://www.shanghai.gov.cn/shanghai/...ect6ai837.html

Can someone confirm if this is true?

" Article 13
    Motorbikes bearing a downtown plate are allowed to go on all the roads in Shanghai Municipality. Motorbikes bearing a suburban plate are allowed to go only on the roads outside the Inner Ring Road. The traffic control department of the Municipal Public Security Bureau may narrow down the area in which passage of motorbikes is permitted according to the traffic condition on the road.
    Motorbikes bearing a non Shanghai plate are not allowed to go on the roads in Shanghai Municipality. "

THEN:

"For violation of Article 13 of the present Provisions, a fine of no more than 50 yuan shall be imposed. "

Maybe this is why police don't stop Hu C plates that much?

Can anyone confirm this or is the information from this link dated?

-Wrangler

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast