Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Trustworthy mechanic in Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Guru
    I know there are more than a few riders here with imported bikes and I'm wondering if someone can recommend a mechanic / shop to me. I've been using the guys at the moto mart off Xincun Lu now for a couple of years with some good and some REALLY bad experiences. I can trust them to work on my older bikes (realizing that half the time the work will need to be redone) but now I've got an '06 CB400 that I'd like to get repaired and I don't want them anywhere near it.
    Who do you Shangai guys use to do work on your imported bikes?

2. #2 Re: Trustworthy mechanic in Shanghai? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    I know there are more than a few riders here with imported bikes and I'm wondering if someone can recommend a mechanic / shop to me. I've been using the guys at the moto mart off Xincun Lu now for a couple of years with some good and some REALLY bad experiences. I can trust them to work on my older bikes (realizing that half the time the work will need to be redone) but now I've got an '06 CB400 that I'd like to get repaired and I don't want them anywhere near it.
    Who do you Shangai guys use to do work on your imported bikes?
    I'd likely trust my bike to only one QUALIFIED mechanic & engineer based in SH if I lived there, and when it's time for something more that I myself can't handle, then I'd ride the 450km+ and 6-7 hours it takes me to get there from my home. The first shop on the end near the entry gate of TianMa racing circuit, is owned and operated by a German engineer. He's the engineer who designed the paralever shaft drive for BMW when he was employed with them all those years ago. He's also developed an interesting frame design which he has a scale model of hanging inside by the front window. He may talk a lot, and seems somewhat frustrated with things in China, but he hasn't been here all that long so it's to be expected. he does have lots of experience and stories to tell/share on some of the bikes being flogged off here in PRC.
    I don't have his card with me at the moment, but I'll dig out his details and post them here.

3. #3 Re: Trustworthy mechanic in Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Yes, I've spoken to that guy more than a few times. He seems like a nice sort and is very willing to take on the work. He even did a fabricated part in carbon fiber for a friend of mine. Only problem is that the Cb400 is stuck in the basement of my apartment complex where it's been parked for 6 months. The rear tire is bald and needs to be replaced immediately (among other things) and I'm loathe to drive it out that far. I'm thinking I may have to break down and get the guys at the moto mart to look it over (while I videotape them to make sure all the parts and bolts go back to right places). Although I was pointed to Simon Wang in Hongkou who might be able to suggest someone locally. Was a beautiful day for a ride yesterday too, and all I had was the Honda Rebel :P.

4. #4 Paging Dr. Cui 
    C-Moto Guru
    I PMed Euphonius already, but if someone could forward me some contact info for the good Dr. Cui I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

5. #5 Re: Paging Dr. Cui 
    I do not trust anyone then myself to work on my Ducati's here in China :).
    Always willing to lend a hand on a CB400 though.

E.

6. #6 Re: Paging Dr. Cui 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    I PMed Euphonius already, but if someone could forward me some contact info for the good Dr. Cui I would very much appreciate it.
    Xiao Cui's number: 13818520073
    Hi is located close to Chengshan Lu 成山路 and Bohua Lu 博华路 in Pudong, hiding behind a long concret wall with only an opening to his shop but without a sign. There are always some bikes parked in front of the shop (behind the wall) though.
    He is a very nice and competent guy. Highly recommended.

7. #7 Re: Paging Dr. Cui 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Thanks, Milton!

Here's a link to Dr Cui's operating theater in google maps.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Paging Dr. Cui 
    C-Moto Guru
    This is indeed the best help I could ask for, gentlemen. I will be getting some estimates on what needs to be done on my bike, hopefully to be riding it soon.

Very sincere thanks.