Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    hi bikerdoc, i think that system is only a simple device, and they call it ABS
    check this link http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=2627906195
    Attachment 2157
    the above piciture shows the normal position found at a single disk system. For dual disk break, the most possible place is around Y shape dividing valve.
    remove that device and front break should work sharp.
    I get it, though there is no visible or readily apparent relief valve type system anywhere near the Jetmax front pistons/calipers as is shown in your photo.

DSCF2539..jpg

That's not to say there isn't such a system which as you mention maybe somewhere at the point of the "Y" valve, or perhaps hidden away elsewhere under the fairing panels. Though I've not seen/found it as yet. I'm content enough with the brakes, and the rear brakes provide fast stopping power, so I think the combination is pretty okay for now. Though I'd prefer true ABS front and rear.

2. #32 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    I agree with your comments about CFMoto's lack of sales and customer service skills. However, they are not alone. This kind of "don't care" or "don't ask me" attitude is so prevalent in China in so many businesses big and small. I have contacted CFMoto about their products and generally got the brush-off. That being said, I have just bought a CFMoto CF250T V5. Is it a motorcycle or scooter or hybrid? I will post in the Street section of the forum here about the bike.

3. #33 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    I finally got round to fabricating and installing a luggage rack and an ADLO (981) rear mounted top box. The detail of which can be found here

4. #34 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    BDoc,

Nice review and write up... sorry I didn't catch it earlier. Definitely a front page thread!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #35 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    BDoc,
    Nice review and write up... sorry I didn't catch it earlier. Definitely a front page thread!
    CC
    Thanks CC, and happy to see you've placed it on the home page - the Jetmax deserves to be there. It has a few issues, but they are minor gripes, overall though CFMoto have manufactured a nicer than average scooter, and a maxi at that. It'd be wonderful if they would take a moment to review what I've written to improve on what they've built.

6. #36 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    bikerdoc,
    Very good review of your CFMoto Jetmax 250 scooter. I also enjoyed your visit to the scooter plant. I have a CFMoto 188 (500cc) and running gear in my Chinese mini jeep that has held up well for two years here in the mountains of Western North Carolina.

Inflatable kayak on top.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

7. #37 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    bikerdoc,
    Very good review of your CFMoto Jetmax 250 scooter. I also enjoyed your visit to the scooter plant. I have a CFMoto 188 (500cc) and running gear in my Chinese mini jeep that has held up well for two years here in the mountains of Western North Carolina.

Inflatable kayak on top.
    Thanks for words of encouragement. :)

Nice wagon you got there. One of the associates/acquaintances in the riding fraternity here, also bought a similar CFMoto quad type-machine also 500cc. He loaded it onto a smallish ferry across a couple of planks with a half-a-dozen of us riding 1100cc motorcycles etc to take across to one of the local islands that his family live on. The ferry is a passenger & loose cargo ferry not designed to take vehicles, but we were able to throw a couple a planks of wood across to the stern, and load the bikes amongst the general cargo. Might have a photo somewhere of that... I'll have to check. Anyway the CFMoto vehicles, are the better than average of the Chinese made stuff that's available here.

Oh, and for others that read this thread, keep in mind that if one was to search a number of websites (e.g. alibaba) not all the scooters and motorcycles advertised exist. Photoshop is China's best friend...

8. #38 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    So having completed 8000km on the Jetmax, I thought it'd be a good idea to update some of my views on the scoot. I'm still fairly happy with it overall, and can report that I've not had many issues to date. That being said, I was quite impressed when I was told by my local motorcycle dealership (that I've dealt with for the past 4-5 years and bought quite a few scooters from) that CFMoto would be sending a representative to do several upgrades to my Jetmax which have been incorporated into what I assume was the second production run following mine (which conversely I assume was the first production run). All the upgrades were completed by a rep, who worked on the Jetmax at the local dealership.

Upgrades include;
    - changing the EFI unit (now the Jetmax starts easily without the need to open the throttle as was the case before, especially when starting from cold, & find that the throttle seems more responsive up to 100km/h)
    - the computer chip was upgraded
    - the pair of rear shock absorbers were exchanged for units which are meant to be softer
    - fuel cap was exchanged (actually the new cap doesn't have as tighter feel when being un/screwed off/on)
    -

The ride has improved somewhat with the addition of the rear rack and topbox, probably by providing a little weight counterbalance. The rep was also very surprised that I'd managed to fabricate a rack and fit a rear topbox. Have also applied some adhesive vinyl (that is used for signwriting) around the front headlights & rear tail-lights that gives a more pleasing aesthetic look. Painted the radiator grill white so that provides less contrast and consequently more pleasing to the eye. I'll take a few photos and upload at a later date. The topend speed is an indicated 133km/h. Rides really steady and comfortably no matter what speed, though like most scooters, doesn't take kindly to crap road surfaces.

A friend has removed the riders backrest on his black Jetmax which has resulted in a much longer reach to the handle bars & more leg room. We're attempting to fabricate a better seat design that is more foreign friendly for our taller average heights/leg length.

Since about 6000km's the Jetmax has been leaving a small amount of oil on the garage floor when parked. At first I thought it was an engine leak, but have traced the oil to an oil breather hose which protrudes near belt drive housing & to the left in front of the rear wheel. I'm left to wonder why they didn't have the hose exiting back into the engine or sump, or into the air filter housing as is the norm on many motorcycles. Instead I have a small 20-30ml oil deposit that is growing in size nightly in my garage. Time for a small oil collection pan or I might explore an alternative way of collecting the oil at the end of the tube/hose.

I upgraded the halogen headlight bulbs from the standard 35/35w which all Chinese manufactured bikes are limited to legally ex factory. Unfortunately the wiring didn't take kindly to the current drawn by the 100/80w halogens I installed. I've now installed 60/55w halogens but some aspect of the electronics/wiring has an issue yet to be isolated & resolved. The local dealer thinks it might be the left handle bar switch gear, so that is on order.

Still have an issue with the ignition key seat release mechanism not working, which does work on a friends ?second edition model Jetmax. We're both thinking about taking a ride to CFMoto to sort out small issues etc.

Overall still impressed with the Jetmax especially for the price and how it performs. Leaves everything behind at the traffic lights... and will sit on 80-100km/h all day without fuss. Travelling at 115-130km/h gets a little busy.

The Jetmax looks a little better in black than the white, but each to his/her own.

9. #39 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I upgraded the halogen headlight bulbs from the standard 35/35w which all Chinese manufactured bikes are limited to legally ex factory.
    I have to say, that is very depressing. Next thing you know, they'll come out with a solar-sensitive kill switch to make sure you don't run your lights in daytime. Pity those poor motorists being blinded by our 35watt motorbike lights!

Anyway, thanks for the update, bikerdoc. Sounds like a great scoot, though I can't imagine riding something at 130kph without being able to hug it tightly between my legs! Would you feel safe riding those speeds in a crosswind?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #40 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    I have to say, that is very depressing. Next thing you know, they'll come out with a solar-sensitive kill switch to make sure you don't run your lights in daytime. Pity those poor motorists being blinded by our 35watt motorbike lights!
    Yes, I also find it unbelievable that the Chinese motorcycle manufacturers are forced by law to produce motorcycles & motorscooters for sale and use in the domestic market with such low wattage headlight bulbs, to compete with all other motorvehicles which are increasingly being fitted with brighter and brighter HID headlights, which numbskull drivers have on highbeam all the time while driving at night irrespective of other road users. I guess I should be thankful as I've seen a whole range of SYM motorcycles that have a standard incandecent bulbs of yesteryear, with gawd knows what wattage. I'm going to be upgrading to twin headlight 50w HID's from the UK soon enough. That'll pack some punch. Might upgrade the Dragstar's 25w HID system at the same time. The usual 60/55w halogens do a fairly ok job, but the other road users highbeam tactics are the bane of my existance, and I've found the Dragstars' HID generally gets the response I'm after, as well as provide more than adequate light.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Anyway, thanks for the update, bikerdoc. Sounds like a great scoot, though I can't imagine riding something at 130kph without being able to hug it tightly between my legs! Would you feel safe riding those speeds in a crosswind?
    cheers!
    The scoot really is very stable at that speed. You have to do away with any preconceptions, as it is not like a standard scooter. It is after all a maxi scooter, weighing in at around 170kg (far more than the average scooter) and has low profile radial tubeless tyres. It really does inspire confidence especially in cornering which feels as though it's on rails. I'm sure that a solid cross wind might upset the ride a tad, but with less surface area than say a standard motorcycle, it'll actually probably fair better. The total convenience factor of the scooter concept, and real ease of use has me sold on the whole maxi scooter theme. I'm going to be in the market for the BMW Concept C 800cc scooter next year.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast