Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Thought I'd quickly update this thread. I've been fortunate to have visited the CFMoto factory on the outskirts of Hangzhou many months ago. I was impressed with the whole operation there. I can safely say that CFMoto are taking their operation seriously and are very much focused on a global market, with approximately 20% of the business focused in R&D and technological development. While at the CFMoto site, I saw quite a few international foreign buyers in different parts of the CFMoto complex, which is very different to what I saw and experienced at Geely Motorcycles down in Taizhou - the two manufacturers were like "chalk and cheese."

Anyway this is less about my visit to CFMoto and more about the Jetmax some 17000km later. ...to be continued

2. #42 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    During a recent visit to the CF Moto dealer in Beijing, there were a group of three Jetmax owners hanging out. I was on my JH600. As is typical, discussions started about the different bikes and an agreement was reached "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" - so I got to ride a Jetmax scoot around for a while. The three Jetmax riders were too afraid of riding my "big and powerful" 600cc bike, so it waited on the sidelines while they opted to poke and prod, as I zipped away on the Jetmax.

Because I am used to riding my sweety's 125 Suzuki scooter (quite a bit smaller), I was initially intimidated by the size of the Jetmax. I'm not a small guy, but the Jetmax owner is - I felt my competitive testosterone kick in and thought "if that little guy can handle it, so can I!"

Within the first few minutes, I gingerly figured out the handling - in the next few minutes, I cautiously figured out the power - and then I was ready to wonder "Hmmmm, I bet I could do a wheelie with this thing!" Sanity prevailed and I remained civilized. And, of course, it wasn't my bike (pretty bad form to abuse someone else's ride - why do people do that?!?!?!?! - grrrrr).

I've often admired the Jetmax sitting on the showroom floor, but this was my first "road test" (albeit only 15 minutes). I've gotta say, this is a fun scooter with oodles of power and tons of comfort. I'd be buying one if it weren't for my two concerns (and primarily the first one):

1) It felt wide, and a little tough to maneuver with wide turning arc, but that is probably due to my lack of experience with the bike. Living in the middle of Beijing, I often bemoan that my sweety's Suzuki is "too big" as the e-bikes zip around me and squeeze between the cars. As a burb-commuter, it would be totally perfect. It is super-practical and 100 times better than a car, IMHO.
    2) It is maybe too comfortable - the ride is silky smooth. I'm an old guy who's been known to nod off, now and then. It just might happen at the controls of a luxury Jetmax.

Overall, my mini-test told me that this is a very nice bike! Good choice.

3. #43 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Time for an update.

After 22000km in the space of 8 months, where the Jetmax has been my choice of transport over my 2007 Dragstar 1100 classic or my Suzuki, I have to say that I'm fairly impressed with the Jetmax overall. Since writing this review I've since visited the CFMoto factory in Hangzhou, China and was suitably impressed with the whole operation. They have 4 assembly lines churning out, regular bikes and scooters on 1, the Jetmax on another, ATV's on line3 and UTV's on line 4.

The showroom was huge and impressive with one of everything they manufacture. I saw the new CF650NK sport bike similar to the Kawasaki E6N, in the flesh and have to say while I don't think the style is suited to the majority of the roads in China, the bike itself looked sharp.

CF650NK-1.jpg

More info on the CF650NK can be found at motofans (note that this link will take you to a Chinese motorcycle forum, so unless you have Asian fonts enabled you may see gibberish) you'll find photos and video links.

CF650NK-ad.jpg

Back to the CF250T-6A Jetmax.

Great machine, which has a top speed of around 140-145km/h indicated with around a +10% margin of error based on GPS indicated speed. The rear low profile radial tyres only tend to last around 10000km before seemingly becoming more prone to punctures and developing slow leaks. This has occurred on the two standard manufacturers supplied tyres that I fitted, the phenomenon has also occurred on my friends black Jetmax now that he's just ticked over the 10000km mark. I have replaced the second rear tyre with a third tyre named a Kenda (Taiwan branded tyre), which seems to ride mildly better, and raises the rear end a few centre-meters or so. I've just replaced the front tyre with another of the same manufacturers low profile tyres so it would appear that the front tyres have twice the life of the rear.

I've replaced the final drive belt at the manufacturer recommended 10000km interval around 12000km, for which a pneumatic impact driver is needed. I failed to adjust the belt as recommended by CFMoto at 3000km, (naturally the local bike dealer has no idea and failed to advise of such TIC!), despite which there seemed to be no issues. Getting the belts off needed more than a manual impact driver (which simply didn't work), having lifted the Jetmax using a friends forklift for easier access to the rear drive belt housing etc. The outer halves of the forward and rear pulleys were easily removed, using the pneumatic impact driver. Once removed the now accessible drive belt, I determined that the existing belt was less than 5mm narrower over the new replacement belt. Despite the good appearance of the existing belt, I erred on the side of caution and replaced the belt anyway. Fitting evrything back together was simply a reverse of the steps, but I used some compressed air to give the inside of the whole housing unit a good clean, before bolting everything back into place.

Since this review, CFMoto have redesigned the rear pillion grab-rails to incorporate a top box mounting platform, so I bought one to replace the one made in my friends workshop. I've also upgraded the headlights with some HID Xenon hi/low bulbs and used two single ballasts for each headlight. The standard 35w/35w halogens do not provide enough light at all. I'd upgraded the standard halogens with a pair of 100w/90w bulbs, but the standard wiring couldn't cope so I downgraded to some 60w/55w halogens which were an acceptable compromise.

Other than that, no other issues, simple maintenance tasks are achieved easy enough. Oil filter and drain plug access is easy. The rear drive housing requires hypoid gear oil, and the access plugs for this are accessible with a little effort. Removing the rear wheel/tyre requires removal of the rear slip-on exhaust muffler, removing the bottom right shock absorber spring bolt too. Removal of the left shock absorber spring bolt, loosening and removal of the left shock absorber lower attachment bracket so that one can access and remove the left sided rear brake housing bolts, which then allows the rear brake calliper housing to be slid of the rear brake disc with some manipulation. The rear wheel axle also has a large 21mm hex nut which needs removal then the rear wheel can be taken off from the right side. This nut must be tightened with enough force (no torque specs are provided in the manual) so that it doesn't loosen after reapplication.

I have fitted a kind of ergo cushion on top of the riders seat to provide some relief to my butt on longer rides, but more so to give some added height, since the riding position is quite low. This probably wouldn't be an issue for the average Chinese height, but will be for European/Anglo-Saxons et al. A friend went so far as to remove the riders backrest completely and have the seat re-foamed and reupholstered so that he sits further back on the seat, with more reach for the arms and legs. In other words the setting will be a little cramped for anyone >180cm.

4. #44 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Spark plug access.
    Access to the spark plug might be a bit of an issue for anyone without a selection of manipulative sockets and plug spanner. The spark plug itself can be reached by removal of the plastic cover (4 screws + 2 bolts) under the seat in front of the storage compartment. It is also recommended to remove the main rubber pipe/tube from the EFI unit into the air-box by loosening the two hose clips, to assist with accessing the plug and allow a more unobstructed view of the spark plug located to the left side of the horizontally 'North-South' laid engine. A smaller than large hand and some patience will be required to get access to the spark plug, without removing more of the plastics. I removed my spark plug at 21000km to find a nicely coloured plug, running at just the right mix and temperature. The gap was quite large, so after a clean and re-gaping have reinstalled the plug, though the electrode is quite slim. The standard spark plug is a Chinese brand "TORCH" CR9EP.

Air filter.
    The air filter element is accessed by removal of the plastic cover (4 screws + 2 bolts) under the seat in front of the storage compartment then removal of the panel underneath (3 bolts with 3 tabbed hinged type recesses at the rear), just in front of the underseat storage. One has to remove the large panel first before finding the smaller air filter panel just on top and behind the EFI unit. The filter is a medium density foam, which allows for repeated use after cleaning, then apply a reasonable amount of oil (hypoid gear oil or a thin lubricating oil will do) making sure that the foam element is completely saturated in the oil and squeeze out any excess. Keep in mind, that it's really the oil that acts as the filter, rather than the foam, therefore the addition of oil into the foam is critical.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-11-2011 at 02:53 AM.

5. #45 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It is very nice Scooter and really its plastic had a good quality, it could be a great to drive a scooter, its features are excellent, while it is a such a best scooter.

6. #46 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Guru
    Wow. That scooter is looking pretty awesome considering it's got more than 7000 kliks on the odometer. Seems like you might want to close the doors and fasten your seatbelts too.

7. #47 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'd love to get my hands on one of those jetmax 250's. Any advise how can I get one in Shenzhen?

8. #48 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Quote Originally Posted by graphs111 View Post
    I'd love to get my hands on one of those jetmax 250's. Any advise how can I get one in Shenzhen?
    Motorcycles banned in Shenzhen? If you speak/read Chinese or can get someone who does to view the list of sales agencies on the cfmoto website http://www.cfmoto.com/dealer_info.php?id=20 then give one of them a call to check on availability etc.

9. #49 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the info bikerdoc.

10. #50 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    Dear Bikerdok,

Have you reached 30000 km on odometer?

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast