Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. #81 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Why not contact CFMoto Australia?
    http://www.cfmoto.com.au/dealers/

2. #82 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    An alternative is to buy on Taobao. Here are two (1 & 2) different sellers selling the final drive belt (neither are the official CFMoto factory sales dept that has a TMALL site). Unfortunately the CFMoto factory sales dept don't have the belt listed, so that would require a phone call, and Mandarin skills would be needed for that conversation.

An alternative would be to organise to buy via a Taobao agent like Taobao focus which will buy selected itens for you, bundling together multiple items and then sending to you, for a fee.

Having helped a number of overseas owners of the Jetmax get items that they are unable to source through their respective CFMoto dealers, I can tell you that couriering items to destaintions abroad is somewhat costly, although the belt being smaller and fairly light would be a little less so. Sending by China Post carries some risk that the item ends up 'lost'.

3. #83 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    thanks Bikerdoc, I'll give the local dealers a try and see how they go, appreciate your help

Cheers

John

4. #84 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi bikerdoc im from philippines is the jetmax worth buying? It is available now here but only few have bought it and there is no thread here about jetmax owners to give some feedback of their jetmax. Im planning to get one but im afraid of the aftersales service and parts i really like the jetmax and have read all reviews about it. But here in our country when you say that its a chinese scooter some people says that it will not last 1 tear. One thing i like is that its equipped with speakers but i was told of one of the mechanics here at cfmoto that its not waterproof. Can you please update me if the parts are good especially the engine so that i can decide and also how about its fuel consumption? Many thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

5. #85 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob

We have recently taken possession of a demonstrator from the New Zealand CFMOTO importer. So far we have to agree with biker doc's assessment of its performance. Very good, and considering the price, brilliant. It is almost as fast on the motorway as a 300 Gilera Nexus. Overall quality is not as good but it is almost half the price: $NZ 4750 vs $NZ 8500.

It appears the Jetmax has changed very little from the original 2010 model. We'd have thought CFMOTO would offer an optional seat (without the back rest) as even our shorter riders felt cramped. We removed the back rest to see what it was like without it. In a word: perfect. We suggest CFMOTO simply pads the seat slightly differently, leaves the back rest out and then there would be no reason to cut the four holes in the seat skin to mount the back rest.

bACKREST IN PLACE.jpgBack-rest removed 2.jpg

We have clocked almost 500 km of commuting on a range of 50, 70 and 100 km/h roads. We increased rear spring pre-load to the maximum as we were scraping the foot of the centre-stand in right-hand corners. The side-stand also scrapes in left-handers.

Great storage space (who needs a top-box?) and very easy to ride.

We have had no difficulty locking up either the rear, or the front wheels using the brakes. Both require a firm squeeze.

A heck of a lot of scooter for the money.

As an aside, some Australian journalists took a brand new one and thrashed it from Melbourne to Sydney in two days in company with Piaggio's X7 300 and a Kymco Downtown 300i. The fact the Jetmax was taken straight out of the crate and thrashed for two days with no problems impressed the Aussie testers. Plus it was able to set the pace on occasions...

6. #86 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    After reading and digesting all I could about the WK (CF Moto) Jetmax on every blog and video review site I could find, the decision to buy a Jetmax finally came down to two things for me - price and expectation!

Unlike many who may look to buy this scoot, I'm not using it on a daily basis as a commuter and it's not my only means of transport. Basically I use it as a fun weekend tourer with the occasional longer distance rides thrown in when time permits. Had my needs been more demanding then I'm quite sure I'd have spent the extra money and bought one of the other two options I was looking at, namely the Sym Joymax 300 or the Kymco Downtown 300.

It goes without saying that the price of the Jetmax is rediculously attractive considering it's nearest rivals which are almost £1,600 more expensive. Yes, there's no doubt that the Jetmax doesn't compare in the quality stakes to the other two machines, but with the 2 year parts and labour guarantee on the WK import I'm hoping any major problems arising during this period as a result of the lower chinese quality/build/design issues should all be covered under the guarantee.

The thing is, if I have a bad experience with this machine (as some have reported), then after two years I'll simply get rid of it, and to be honest, even if I only get £500 in part exchange, it's not a lot of money to loose over that period on a new machine (you lose that kind of money on most new cars by simply driving them out of the showroom!). However, with the kind of light use it's going to get from me, I doubt that many of the problems that have been reported will ever arise, and if they do, it's likely to be at a time when I'm looking to replace the machine anyway!

Bikerdoc has done us all a great service by detailing his experiences with his machine, so I'm not going to reiterate what he and others have so kindly documented for us all. Suffice to say that my own expectations for this Scoot were not terribly high when I bought it, so from that starting point I'm glad to say that I'm pleasantly pleased with the bike. I'm still running it in at the moment so I can't really comment too much at this stage. But from the initial observations I'm happy with what I've got for the money, and I'll report back again on this site at regular intervals on how things are going.

What really perplexes and surprises me most about this machine though is that the things that are so obviously deficient or lacking on it are things that could so easily have been overcome or remedied in the manufacturing process with little or no impact on CF Motos bottom line. There is just no logical excuse or reason for many of the little bits and pieces that have had little or no thought put into their operation, manufacture or fitting. Generally it's not a problem of how these items are fitted either, they were just not well thought out, produced or manufactured properly in the first place!!! OK, much of this is cosmetic I admit, but if you extend this logic into the major components and engine parts (the bits you can't see), then you really have to wonder whether what is under the covers and inside the engine (the parts that really matter) are similarly manufactured and put together?! I guess only time will tell.......

7. #87 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    26 Jul 14 - Updates so far....

Footmats
    The footmats on the Jetmax are made of semi dense rubber material which is ok, but I've found the Studs on the underneath of the mats which fit into the floor panels to hold them in place do not all align correctly. Maybe the rubber shrinks or expands with temperature changes or more likely they were made to the same slack tolerences as some of the other parts, who knows, but the end result is that it stops the floor mats from fitting flush with the floor panels and just as with some of the plastics on this bike, it just doesn't look good. So, I cut the offending studs off the bottom of the mats and replaced with velcro tabs. Now the mats fit nice and snug and stay in place and can still be removed as and when necessary for access to the panel bolts.

Battery tender
    The battery on this machine is located in such a ridiculous location (underneath the front wheel arch) that it makes it unreasonably difficult to do any kind of battery maintenance or even put it on a charger when you need to as you have to crawl about underneath the front wheel arch in order to get a battery cover off and any clips attached to the terminals. So, as I do not intend to use the bike in the winter I will need to have a battery tender attender giving the battery a regular boost during this extended period of downtime. So, I attached the female end of the tender lead permanantly to the battery and ran the wire up into the front storage locker area via the bottom left hand side hinge (which is directly over the battery bay), and secured the lead with a clip tie. Now I just open up the storage area and connect the tender up as and when required. Job done!

Rear Shocks
    As has been reported elsewhere on this and other sites, the rear shocks are a little soft and will need adjusting up to a higher setting if you want to get around the twisties without grounding out on the footstand! Even at their highest adjustment, the bike will still ground out if you are two up and you go into a corner with any kind of dip or bump on it. This is not only dangerous and risks lifting the rear wheel off of the tarmac, but it also makes you look like a bit of a tw*t to those following or the frightened pedestrians witnessing sparks flying out from underneath a scooter accompanied by a deathly grinding screech!!! Soooo, rather than swapping out the rear shocks for a pair that are a little more up-to-job (and of course expensive), I've sent away for a set rear shock extenders which will give me an extra 3cm of clearance, which combined with the higher setting on the shocks should keep the footstand off of the ground when cornering. They haven't arrived yet so I can't give you a definite answer, but if you are having the same problem and are interested, then this is where I got them from. http://tinyurl.com/oetgwk3

8. #88 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post
    26 Jul 14 - Updates so far....

Footmats
    The footmats on the Jetmax are made of semi dense rubber material which is ok, but I've found the Studs on the underneath of the mats which fit into the floor panels to hold them in place do not all align correctly. Maybe the rubber shrinks or expands with temperature changes or more likely they were made to the same slack tolerences as some of the other parts, who knows, but the end result is that it stops the floor mats from fitting flush with the floor panels and just as with some of the plastics on this bike, it just doesn't look good. So, I cut the offending studs off the bottom of the mats and replaced with velcro tabs. Now the mats fit nice and snug and stay in place and can still be removed as and when necessary for access to the panel bolts.
    Haven't experienced this with my Jetmax. Actually, I had the RHS rubber mat off several times within the past month as I found the starter relay needed replacing, that meant removal of the RHS 'floor board' as the relay sits very tight underneath the RHS bike frame (underneath floor board). Rubber mates sit firm and flush. It might be a case of expansion and shrinkage which will likely differ due to environmental factors etc. Also if the little rubber grommets weren't aligned correctly from the get go (ex-factory), then it's likely the mats won't sit correctly. Sometimes a little finesse or brute force while holding ones tongue in the right manner/position is required to affect a desirable outcome.

Battery tender
    The battery on this machine is located in such a ridiculous location (underneath the front wheel arch) that it makes it unreasonably difficult to do any kind of battery maintenance or even put it on a charger when you need to as you have to crawl about underneath the front wheel arch in order to get a battery cover off and any clips attached to the terminals. So, as I do not intend to use the bike in the winter I will need to have a battery tender attender giving the battery a regular boost during this extended period of downtime. So, I attached the female end of the tender lead permanantly to the battery and ran the wire up into the front storage locker area via the bottom left hand side hinge (which is directly over the battery bay), and secured the lead with a clip tie. Now I just open up the storage area and connect the tender up as and when required. Job done!
    In the front lockable cubby, next to the seat release latch, there is a cylindrical fuse in a white plastic housing with a high gauge red wire in/out each end. Open that plastic housing and attach a positive electrode from a battery tender or similar, and simply find a grounding point (for me I've fitted a multiplug accessory adapter which is secrured with a metal band - the band acts as a good earth), and job done. Battery will charge using this method. But as stated, battery access is one PITA. Removal of front wheel or front tupperware alleviates some of the angst in this regard. Worthwhile noting if other work is being undertaken...

Rear Shocks
    As has been reported elsewhere on this and other sites, the rear shocks are a little soft and will need adjusting up to a higher setting if you want to get around the twisties without grounding out on the footstand! Even at their highest adjustment, the bike will still ground out if you are two up and you go into a corner with any kind of dip or bump on it. This is not only dangerous and risks lifting the rear wheel off of the tarmac, but it also makes you look like a bit of a tw*t to those following or the frightened pedestrians witnessing sparks flying out from underneath a scooter accompanied by a deathly grinding screech!!! Soooo, rather than swapping out the rear shocks for a pair that are a little more up-to-job (and of course expensive), I've sent away for a set rear shock extenders which will give me an extra 3cm of clearance, which combined with the higher setting on the shocks should keep the footstand off of the ground when cornering. They haven't arrived yet so I can't give you a definite answer, but if you are having the same problem and are interested, then this is where I got them from. http://tinyurl.com/oetgwk3
    I fitted standard radial tyres (Bridgestone Battlax's) front and rear, which lift the scoot an inch or two over all, therefore ground clearance is raised. This required the centre stand to be adjusted to compensate. Something that might need addressing in the case of fitting rear shock extenders as the end result will be similar - altered ground clearance with the centre stand not touching down as anticipated.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 07-27-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #89 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    As always, a helpful and interesting response from Bikerdoc, thank you!

10. #90 Re: 2010 CFMoto Jetmax 250 Scooter 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I fitted standard radial tyres (Bridgestone Battlax's) front and rear, which lift the scoot an inch or two over all, therefore ground clearance is raised. This required the centre stand to be adjusted to compensate. Something that might need addressing in the case of fitting rear shock extenders as the end result will be similar - altered ground clearance with the centre stand not touching down as anticipated.
    Just an update on the Shock extenders that I mentioned in the previous post. Having fitted these to the TOP of the standard adjustable shocks over the weekend, we went out for a test ride and I'm pleased to report that the problem of the center stand grounding out during hard cornering is now a thing of the past. Even with the shocks adjusted to the middle of the 5 settings (as we travel with luggage) the center stand still does not ground out and still works fine. The 2cm extra clearance that the extenders give to the ride height is a perfect fit and requires no additional tweaking of the center stand in order to compensate for the extra clearance, which I am very pleased about as I really didn't want the extra hassle!

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast