Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15253334353637 ... LastLast
  1. #341 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Venting. China. You won't ever meet a more stubborn moron.
    So let me guess the story behind this: You went out to buy bread, then had to brake for a nut eating baby flying out of the intersection ?

2. #342 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    I have a real TIC story to tell you... I wanted to kill someone... luckily for him he wasn't there...

Let me explain...

My CB400 has always had a crappy damaged (modified) engine cover, so I finally decided to sort it out, got myself some body putty and sandpaper and high temperature paint and got to work (this is my first attempt at body work and since I'm going to be doing it a lot on my project bikes, I thought it would be good practice)....

mmexport1384782467832.jpg

You can see my lack of experience shining through... in fact it took me around 6 hours of sanding, re-applying waiting to dry, sanding/shaping, re-applying... you get the idea....

mmexport1384782474261.jpg

anyway finally I masked off the rest of the engine with masking tape and newspaper and gave it a good spray.... not perfect, but I was really happy with my first attempt (even sanded down the honda logo so it looked all nice and polished)....

mmexport1384782481317.jpg

Great, time to go and get a beer to celebrate a job well done... (btw I was doing this downstairs outside the door of my apartment building)

I came back about 10 mins later to survey my work and what did I see??

mmexport1384782487734.jpg

Some Pikey twat had kicked the engine (you know how they always like to put their hands and fingers all over everything... he was probably saying something to a friend and kicked the engine to show how big the engine was or something).... either way as the putty hadn't hardened yet and the paint was still wet he completely ruined my 6 hours of work

I had more than one beer and said... screw it, this is China, a plague on your offspring you bloody pikey... I was going to re-do it anyway when I rebuild the bike... but at least let me enjoy it for 10 bloody minutes!!!!!

3. #343 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentza View Post
    I have a real TIC story to tell you... I wanted to kill someone... luckily for him he wasn't there...

Let me explain...

My CB400 has always had a crappy damaged (modified) engine cover, so I finally decided to sort it out, got myself some body putty and sandpaper and high temperature paint and got to work (this is my first attempt at body work and since I'm going to be doing it a lot on my project bikes, I thought it would be good practice)....

mmexport1384782467832.jpg

You can see my lack of experience shining through... in fact it took me around 6 hours of sanding, re-applying waiting to dry, sanding/shaping, re-applying... you get the idea....

mmexport1384782474261.jpg

anyway finally I masked off the rest of the engine with masking tape and newspaper and gave it a good spray.... not perfect, but I was really happy with my first attempt (even sanded down the honda logo so it looked all nice and polished)....

mmexport1384782481317.jpg

Great, time to go and get a beer to celebrate a job well done... (btw I was doing this downstairs outside the door of my apartment building)

I came back about 10 mins later to survey my work and what did I see??

mmexport1384782487734.jpg

Some Pikey twat had kicked the engine (you know how they always like to put their hands and fingers all over everything... he was probably saying something to a friend and kicked the engine to show how big the engine was or something).... either way as the putty hadn't hardened yet and the paint was still wet he completely ruined my 6 hours of work

I had more than one beer and said... screw it, this is China, a plague on your offspring you bloody pikey... I was going to re-do it anyway when I rebuild the bike... but at least let me enjoy it for 10 bloody minutes!!!!!

Serpentza, yes this is the well documented 'shiny phenomenon'. 7 or 8 years ago or so me and my mate were the first people to have disk brakes on our mountain bikes. This seemed to attract Chinese people quicker than zombies for a gunshot on the walking dead. Look! Shiny thing! Must touch.............. Except human fingers have oil on them and they are bad for disk brakes, especially on bicycles. So one day I decided to put an extra one in my backpack every time we'd get a 'fingerer' I'd pull the old rotor out. Lookie one here...but they seemed less interested in that one, they had to touch the one on the bike, more shiny we think was why... not sure.

shimano-sm-rt79-160.jpg

Shiny...is your first thought to wipe your filthy stinkin' paws over it? Then chances are you're Chinese peasant farmer.

4. #344 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Methinks one has had a gutsfull of this "special" country and it's "special" people..
    I only get that way with my wife as, being Chinese she married me. Nobody forced her. Yet she has this idea that only Chinese people have any right of opinion in this country. I got into a bit of fix once about surfing here in Zhejiang when the Zhoushan Head of Foreign Affairs told me that "OUR CHINESE SURF IS DIFFERENT TO YOUR FOREIGN SURF" and he then told me I was welcome to come and surf at the beach when there were no waves.
    He told me this in front of a big crowd and I told him, in Chinese, in front of all the crowd that he was a fucking idiot and should try to think first before opening his mouth as what was coming out was the same stuff as from his asshole. There was a very very very uneasy silence and so I told him I was going to go surfing now and if he tried to stop me I'd beat the living shit out of him.

After 18 years here I avoid these people. I avoid the cities and I have no problem saying to anyone , big nose or small that "you are an ignorant tosser, so if you don't know what your'e talking about, keep your mouth shut."

That people find me base, vile, rude, aggressive, vulgar etc is their problem.
    So I hear what you're saying .. The thing to be is to stop being King Kanut.. The tide is coming in.. I like where this country is going and I like where the people are going. They'll get to a better place than us. And for many of us, that is OUR PROBLEM..

Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    So let me guess the story behind this: You went out to buy bread, then had to brake for a nut eating baby flying out of the intersection ?

5. #345 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    JonSIms.

That one is a classic, go surfing with no waves !!! I windsurf, I had a similar thing happen during one of the typhoons last year when the police told me I couldn't go on the water as it was windy.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

6. #346 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    I had a TIC finger poking moment this week. A couple of days a week I go to a local park and try to drive a RC car that I bought last year. Every time I go there the local Muppet who seems to be a security guard comes over and can't resist fingering my car. I thought I stop you in you tracks. so when taking a rest I put my finger close the the motor which was really hot,. Right on cue the Muppet put his finger on the motor. There was a horrible smell of burnt flesh :-). I just looked at him and mentioned that the motor gets really hot so best not touch it again. Let's hope he has learned his lesson !
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

7. #347 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Unfortunately, today, this is Shanghai (TIS).

photo.jpg
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #348 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    OK, all this air quality information used to all be a state secret, so it's good the government is being more transparent (probably the wrong word today) about the severity of the problem. But when Beijing hit AQI 500 last January, the city (and state) kind of just shrugged it off. I hope Shanghai shows a bit more backbone, and jumps ahead of the national government to lead the way in making the necessary changes.

Back in the 1990s, Jiang Zemin decreed that cars and carmaking would become a "pillar industry" of the economy. Environmentalists sounded an alarm back then, but the state had its way. Better leadership is definitely needed today.

Alas, here's a story showing Shanghai's response: They are lowering the standard so there will be fewer bad air alerts. How this is a "tacit acknowledgment of the city's poor air quality" is a mystery to me. More like sticking their heads in the sand.

euphonius

Shanghai lowers air quality benchmark to reduce alertsBy Zhou Wenting (China Daily) 08:37, December 06, 2013

The Shanghai environmental authority announced on Thursday that it has adjusted its air pollution standards to reduce the number of alerts, adding that they will still be frequent in winter.

Experts say the move was a reluctant tacit acknowledgment of the city's poor air quality.

The municipality's Environmental Protection Bureau will now lift air pollution alerts when the concentration of PM2.5 — particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter that can penetrate deep into human lungs — falls below 115 micrograms per cubic meter.

Previously, the bureau lifted alerts after the concentration of PM2.5 dropped below 75 micrograms per cubic meter.

The bureau issued an orange alert — the second-highest in its four-level warning system — at 5 pm on Thursday when the concentration of PM2.5 stood at nearly 280 micrograms per cubic meter. The severe pollution will last until Friday.

The bureau said it believes the original standard is too strict, given that haze is common in the Yangtze River Delta region in winter.

"The warm air in higher altitudes blocks the cold air in winter, so it's hard for pollutants to be diffused," said Qian Hua, director of the research institute of atmospheric environment under the Shanghai Academy of Environmental Sciences.

"The absence of cold air blowing in from the north makes diffusion even harder," Qian said.

Also, the extra energy consumption in winter contributes to the city's poor air quality, Qian said.

"It takes longer to boil water in winter because of the low temperatures, and it takes a lot more energy to use air conditioning to warm the air than it does to cool it," he said.

Experts said the city likely will revert to the original standard to lift severe-pollution warnings in summer, when air quality is better, experts said. The air quality on more than 90 percent of the days in July and August this year was regarded as good, data from the Shanghai Environmental Monitoring Center showed.

Experts suggested families with pregnant women, infants, and people with heart or lung diseases take appropriate protective measures when the concentration of PM2.5 reached 100 micrograms per cubic meter, which is regarded as mild pollution. Some recommended face masks with efficient filter materials and air purifiers.

The meteorological department forecast that the pollutants could be blown away when a wave of cold air from the north arrives on Sunday night.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #349 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Experts suggested families with pregnant women, infants, and people with heart or lung diseases take appropriate protective measures when the concentration of PM2.5 reached 100 micrograms per cubic meter, which is regarded as mild pollution. Some recommended face masks with efficient filter materials and air purifiers.
    Are those the same Experts which explained in the past that the best shelter during a nuclear blast is under a table with a newspaper on the head?

10. #350 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Alas, here's a story showing Shanghai's response: They are lowering the standard so there will be fewer bad air alerts. How this is a "tacit acknowledgment of the city's poor air quality" is a mystery to me. More like sticking their heads in the sand.
    Absolutely incredible. Health & Safety standards, with Chinese characteristics.

Another thing that is sad is that the "officials" believe that the general population is dumb enough to swallow ("breathe"?) this garbage policy. Yet, at the same time, the "officials" are partying all night long because Shanghai students scored the highest on the recent standardized international exams. I can almost hear the drunken conversations at the banquets/KTVs ... yeah, the population is smart, but it isn't THAT smart! We're still the smartest.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 12-06-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: grammar, typos

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15253334353637 ... LastLast