Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 917181920212939 ... LastLast
  1. #181 Re: 1st day in school 
    Over the last several weeks, every news story I've read about air pollution keeps saying "Hourly air quality updates are now available online for more than 70 cities". I guess my google abilities are lacking, as I am unable to find this data. Does anybody have links to where one can find Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and/or Dongguan?
    Is there much point? The only thing that keeps the Beijing index honest is the American Embassy monitoring the pollution. History shows that when the government has control it will falsify or censor negative data. In my area they make the summers 'cooler' because outdoor workers can go home if it gets above a certain temp. Would you believe it never gets that hot?

2. #182 Re: 1st day in school 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    So I'm sure everyone has heard that Beijing is killing people with air pollution that is beyond index (886 micrograms per cubic meter). The World Health Organization considers a safe daily level to be 25 micrograms per cubic meter.

Over the last several weeks, every news story I've read about air pollution keeps saying "Hourly air quality updates are now available online for more than 70 cities". I guess my google abilities are lacking, as I am unable to find this data. Does anybody have links to where one can find Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and/or Dongguan?

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    http://iphone.bjair.info/
    Data from the US embassy and consulates.

http://www.aqicn.info/
    Not exactly sure where data are retrieved from but they mention the US embassy as well.
    Andy

3. #183 Re: 1st day in school 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Is there much point?
    I completely understand your lack of faith Z, but it is helpful to know just how much damage is being done. As someone with a 60 kilometre, round trip, bicycle commute, it's helpful to know what days I should ride the moto to avoid exposure to severe pollution. The data could also show that morning rides are OK but evening rides should be avoided. I'm also interested to see what the numbers are for the well being of my family. If Dongguan is constantly running in the 200's, we're outa' here, as I would never allow my daughter to be consistently exposed to those levels.

Chinabiker - Thanks for the second link. That website is a little wonky, but I did manage to find a PM2.5 station within 5 kilometres of my house.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #184 Re: 1st day in school 

5. #185 Re: 1st day in school 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear ChinaV,

I have a handy iOS app called China Air Quality, and I'm almost certain there's an Android version. I've just emailed you a link.

Edit: here's the link to the company making the app

It gives near real time indexes, including US Embassy/Consulate data where available alongside the Chinese data. And unlike a year ago, the Chinese data now correlates closely with the US data, which is a good sign that the authorities are getting a bit more comfortable with transparency. They are reporting different numbers. The US data is PM2.5 fine particulates whereas the Chinese data is an air quality index based on several measures. I can send you more detailed citations about this if you are interested.

I've been watching for the Pearl River Delta and see you are enjoying much better quality than cities to the north. Beijing is far from being the worst on a daily basis. That honor falls to Handan, which last week also had an extremely serious carcinogenic water pollution episode that toxified the city drinking water for five days before the authorities 'fessed up to it. So transparency is still a work in progress here.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #186 Re: 1st day in school 
    Further to my previous, I emailed the company making the iPhone app and was told that an Android version is now in development, but not yet released.

I, too, bicycle everywhere here in Shanghai so I use this app daily, especially when I look out the window and see scummy murk. But I'll also take issue with those who lump Shanghai in with China's worst polluting cities. It can get bad -- we've had readings of nearly 200 in the past couple of days -- but it's way better than many other cities, and I'd be willing to bet that the 80,000 RMB (~US$13,000) price of a license plate has a lot to do with it. There are far, far fewer cars on the road here than in cities with fewer or no restrictions.

Did anyone else see the report that Beijing had asked officials yesterday to not drive their cars so as to improve the air quality? HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #187 Re: 1st day in school 
    Quote Originally Posted by V
    I completely understand your lack of faith Z, but it is helpful to know just how much damage is being done. As someone with a 60 kilometre, round trip, bicycle commute, it's helpful to know what days I should ride the moto to avoid exposure to severe pollution. The data could also show that morning rides are OK but evening rides should be avoided. I'm also interested to see what the numbers are for the well being of my family. If Dongguan is constantly running in the 200's, we're outa' here, as I would never allow my daughter to be consistently exposed to those levels.
    Yes, was being overly cynical, but honestly you guys are right, more information is better than none.

Very good link Euphonius .

8. #188 Re: 1st day in school 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Very good link Euphonius .
    Yes, I note that Zibo is on the list of 120 cities covered with government PM2.5 data. Alas, the Zibo index is at 249 right now. Could be worse, but could be a lot better too.

For ChinaV, Dongguan is scoring a "moderate" 87 Air Quality Index score tonight.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #189 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Some of the readings in the app are highly suspicious, but there is enough data to be able to figure out what the most likely pollution is like.

10. #190 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius
    Alas, the Zibo index is at 249 right now. Could be worse, but could be a lot better too.
    True, when I first came to Zibo 10 years ago, Zibo was top of the tables consistently and has in fact come a long way in just becoming averagely badly polluted!

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 917181920212939 ... LastLast