Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19293738394041 ... LastLast
  1. #381 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    i agree there are serious problems with China, pollution and possible slow downs in economic growth etc. But seriously the incorrect negative bs I've heard from people who are leaving is beyond a joke. People who have decided to leave often talk about the imminent economic collapse/collapse of the housing market, environmental collapse, dangers from just being a foreigner, collapsing foreign worker job market and so on. Some people telling me that the housing bubble will collapse and I'll be left destitute and the economy will collapse without a doubt tomorrow according to some biased right wing economist as conclusive evidence.

All of these observations have some truth to them, but mostly they are just negative wishful thinking from people who have made a decision to leave and are now rationalising it. That's fine that people have good reasons for leaving, and that their choice is definitely not a mistake, but spreading negativity around to people who want to stay or can't practically leave sucks. It's a bit like selling your car and leaving a turd on the drivers seat.
    ZMC the easy answer for you to reply to the doomsday sayers is " If China collapses it is going to take many other countries with it probably the one your going to"

I think China has a quite a few years left to go before it flatlines. won't be easy in those years though.

ZMC don't take this the wrong way but quite a few of your posts are rather negative about China too on your your bad days.

2. #382 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob whitworthsocket's Avatar
    Western Australia, often Udon Thani Thailand
    Here is an interesting article on China's pollution
    http://insideclimatenews.org/print/30323

Regards Whitworth
    Previous. Honda CB400-4, Ducati 860 GTS, Ducati 900SS, Yamaha TT500, Motoguzzi V50, BMW 80/7,Kawasaki KLR250, BMW 100/7.My all time favourite-BMW R80G/S.
    Current BMW K75c Vespa 150, Zundapp-Bella 200, Jawacezeta 175.

3. #383 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Some more "negative wishful thinking"
    the date says it all.
    china-daily-pollution1.jpg

4. #384 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    My wife is Chinese and she and I had a long talk a few months ago. It seems that she was rightly tiring of my daily BCD rants so she pointed out that no one was forcing me to live here. If I hated it so much, there were daily flights leaving. I thought about what she said and realized that she was right. While my job has me located here, I am not forced to work at this job. I am free to go back to the USA and find another job. Of course there are many issues with living here as an expat but I was sounding just as bad as the arrogant shitheads I was so often upset with after a while. Sort of hypocritical of me adhere to the "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. She was right all along. Just sayin....
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #385 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    ZMC the easy answer for you to reply to the doomsday sayers is " If China collapses it is going to take many other countries with it probably the one your going to"

I think China has a quite a few years left to go before it flatlines. won't be easy in those years though.

ZMC don't take this the wrong way but quite a few of your posts are rather negative about China too on your your bad days.
    There's two sides. First is ranting because basically it's hard to live in China due to the cultural differences especially about how things are done, and you need to blow off steam now and again. The other is people who have been in China for years and barely said a bad word about it. Suddenly they decide to go and live back home then dump a turd.

There are many positives and negatives to living in China, sometimes the negatives can get you down or you take the positives for granted. I had a serious consider about going home fact is I'd be going back to a rainy, cold country working 12 hours a day with 4 weeks paid leave, low wage compared with costs, sky high taxes and bills, shit work to life balance and hardly see my kids, and my wife would be miserable in the UK away from her family. On the other hand clean air, free schools and hospitals. Swings and roundabouts.

There is no perfect world, but everyone's circumstances are different and it's up to everyone to assess their own circumstances and do what's best for them and their family. I suffer enough in China with the downsides and feeling sad losing friends who are leaving without having the 'screw this shit-hole I'm outta here' attitude.

Banned
    I hear you man
    I'm near my wits end
    I still not sure if I have an apartment yet I have to pay the hotel cause school screws up yet it's never there fault or problem
    I feel like punching some gorilla at times

7. #387 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Thomas Apple Air Quality App just said: Beijing out of index
    in Suzhou we have ~ 120 this hour

8. #388 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Thomas Apple Air Quality App just said: Beijing out of index
    in Suzhou we have ~ 120 this hour
    Yeterday was prolly the cleares day since Ive come here. The AQI said it was only 21 (I feel you Beijingers - 534 yesterday) and from my 17th floor I could see far beyond the bay whilst on a normal day I can bearly see the water. Hope there could be more days like this

btw
    I have a TIC question. I went to a bank recently (Bank of China) inquiring about a VISA or Master Card. They said that, as a foreigner, Im not allowed to have it unless I have over RMB200000 on my account......another stupid s**t, anyway I wont rant cos I agree with TexasAggies wife ;)
    I know that there are 4 State owned Banks, is it easier to get one of those bank cards in them?

9. #389 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    The air pollution....I went for a ride in the countryside yesterday there were like 1000 farmers having bonfires, plastic, corn husks, leaves....anything. I kept wanting to say "compost!" it will break down naturally, you don't need to burn it! Was like some great leap forward of burning crap, just like some addictive behavior, seriously most people seem addicted to burning and fires. Possibly it's a cultural phenomenon like burning paper money.

Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    I have a TIC question. I went to a bank recently (Bank of China) inquiring about a VISA or Master Card. They said that, as a foreigner, Im not allowed to have it unless I have over RMB200000 on my account......another stupid s**t, anyway I wont rant cos I agree with TexasAggies wife ;)
    I know that there are 4 State owned Banks, is it easier to get one of those bank cards in them?
    Probably that rule is there so you don't run up some massive debt and 'run for it' leaving the poor lil Chinese bank out of pocket. In reality I'm sure Visa and Mastercard probably have ways of hunting you down worldwide. Maybe some kind of better than a Unionpay debit card like a Visa debit is possible. Or ask at an HSBC, these rules seem to get liberalized over time.

10. #390 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    And so it shall be done ...

Yesterday, Wednesday, when Beijing's AQI was >500, President Xi Jinping did a walk-about in Beijing and said:

"We should ... (hold) officials accountable for air-quality problems." (source)

Today (Thursday), 24 hours later, Beijing's AQI dropped to 34.

Now THAT, my MCM friends, is an example of POWER!

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19293738394041 ... LastLast