Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17273536373839 ... LastLast
  1. #361 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Interesting survey done by Ipsos on how materialistic countries are ...

From this article on Quartz (qz.com). Original Ipsos article can be found here.

I was quite surprised that Canada registered 20% (i.e., one in five), because I recall that it is definitely frowned upon to flaunt one's wealth in Canada (i.e., it is a major social faux pas). Then it was pointed out to me that Canada's multicultural society has about 20% Chinese. Ah, right, of course.

Amazing survey results. 71% ... incredible.

2. #362 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    My little half breed consistently scores the lowest in exams. Most of the kids regularly get 100% in tests. They are not being kids but recording machines. When the teachers criticize me for having a dumb kid I laugh at them and tell them a monkey can be trained to do the same as the 100% kids.
    Every night in China, at around 7.30 pm, if you listen carefully you can hear a low moaning. It is millions of children crying "I can't do any more" as their cruel mothers scream at them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The kids all cheat rampantly, so how can Shanghai or anywhere else in China say they have done well in exams?

3. #363 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    I'll be at Cheng Gong next week for a week.. It's just north of Taitung City.. Surf is pumping!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Suck it up guys ....
    5 min ago at the other side of the straight, living the sunday morning ride as usual.

Attachment 14690

4. #364 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Also.. If you've not got to the West coast before you're going to be stoked with some fantastic amazing scenery..

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    I'll be at Cheng Gong next week for a week.. It's just north of Taitung City.. Surf is pumping!!!

5. #365 Liquid nitrogen may help to clean up Beijing smog, Chinese scientists say 
    Link via our long term friend TB Racing:

Liquid nitrogen may help to clean up Beijing smog, Chinese scientists say
    Scientists say pumping the super-cold gas into the atmosphere had the best results in tests

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...scientists-say

I don't even comment, nor add critical questions ....

6. #366 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob whitworthsocket's Avatar
    Western Australia, often Udon Thani Thailand
    Yes, This is China.[/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic.
    I just flew Into BKK yesterday And saw an Orange Gallardo pull onto Rama IV Freeway while in a taxi to DMK airport. (this is only the second Lambo I have seen here in BKK)
    The taxi driver had been using all four lanes of the freeway at forty kmph higher speed than the rest of the traffic and doing a pretty good job (nothing like a Bangkok taxi ride to get the heart started after an all night flight). Seeing the Lambo spurred even more frenzy from the taxi driver. However after a toll gate stop the Lambo vanished so rapidly it was unbelievable. The taxi driver slowed to the same forty Kmph above the rest of the traffic for the rest of the journey.
    BTW if you say Carrefour in thailand no one has the first idea about what you are saying. Its pronounced "Karfu"
    Previous. Honda CB400-4, Ducati 860 GTS, Ducati 900SS, Yamaha TT500, Motoguzzi V50, BMW 80/7,Kawasaki KLR250, BMW 100/7.My all time favourite-BMW R80G/S.
    Current BMW K75c Vespa 150, Zundapp-Bella 200, Jawacezeta 175.

7. #367 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    The China Academy of Science (a somewhat credible, peer-reviewed organization) analyzed the content of Beijing's air pollution and here is what it found ...

See that little blue 4% on the bottom? That is how much ALL vehicle emissions AND waste incineration contribute to air pollution! I've seen one of the local waste incineration plants and am going to issue a wild guess that it is a notable amount of that 4% - its chimneys were spewing out a lot of muck. And I think there are a few incineration plants around town.

Here is the breakdown, in English:

26% - secondary inorganic aerosols
    25% - industrial pollution
    18% - coal
    15% - dust
    12% - biomass burning
    4% - vehicle emissions and waste incineration

Interestingly, there is no mention of "Chinese cooking" and/or "outdoor BBQs" ... two "culprits" that the "leaders" recently targeted as major causes of Beijing's air pollution. There was a recent crackdown on outdoor BBQs (you know, the guys selling chuan'r on the street corners), and the government proudly, and widely, issued press releases that they had shut those damn polluters down! I haven't read anything about shutting down industrial polluters, though. Yeah, makes sense - attack the weak, little guys trying to scrape out a living.

Amazing.

English link

Chinese link

8. #368 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Interesting, I always suspected the vehicle pollution was a very small part of the puzzle, I'm surprised coal is so low in the mix.
    I was wondering about ' secondary inorganic aerosols' wikipedia says:
    400px-Airborne-particulate-size-chart.jpg

9. #369 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    "secondary inorganic aerosols" just means that these particles were created from gaseous substances, either by chemical reaction or by attachment of additional matter. In contrast, primary inorganic aerosols come directly from mechanical or thermical processes - for example dust from construction sites, pm from car engines or industrial furnaces ect.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol
    So this does not state anything about the origin of these 26%. My wild guess would be to blame industry and agriculture. Can't read the primary source though, maybe they explain more about this in chinese.

Anyway, that's only the distribution of pm 2.5. while it's sure a huge portion of the pollution, it's hardly all of it.

10. #370 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    those "secondary inorganic aerosols" are likely Hair Net Spray for all those Big Haired Gals from Wuhan
    LMMC/LAMF

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17273536373839 ... LastLast