Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 412131415162434 ... LastLast
  1. #131 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    I have nothing to add.

Wooden_Bike.jpg
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #132 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Chinese man builds replica Lamborghini

Wang Jian, a mechanic from a rural area of China's eastern Jiangsu province, spent 60,000 yuan (£6,000) on his replica of a Lamborghini Reventon, which retails for £1 million.

A 28-year old man in China has become an internet sensation after building his very own Lamborghini replica.

Wang Jian, who hails from a rural area of China's eastern Jiangsu province spent 60,000 yuan (£6,000) building his replica of Lamborghini's 2007 Reventon,

A real Lamborghini

The famous Italian manufacturer is reported to have made only 21 Reventon models worldwide.

Born into a humble farming family, Wang chose to train as a mechanic when he was 16 out of a passion for cars, and began to build his very own supercar in May last year.

"I've always loved sports cars since I was a child. After growing up, I thought of making my own, when I had the circumstances in life and the knowledge. In order to realise this dream, I struggled to learn about this. When I had the right circumstances and the time, I assembled it myself and realised my dream," he said.

Not a real Lamborghini

3. #133 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Had my CFMoto Jetmax in with a CFMoto authorised mechanic the other day to replace my front and rear tyres. Since I have gone for slightly bigger than standard tyres e.g. running 150/60-14 & 120/60-15 (or similar) tyres sizes over stock. The mechanic is just that, he has a one bike bay workshop with small area out back with shelving for parts etc. The guy has built his own equipment and some of it is very clever e.g. hydraulic bottle jack built into a contraption to break the beads and assist in removing tyres off motorcycle rims. He does his own welding, and has a large upright cylinder full of compressed air used for well any situation requiring air e.g. inflating tyres.

I have used the mechanic for lots of fiddly things, servicing, adding after market exhaust etc. His work is pretty good and above the norm so often found in China. Anyway to the story, he swapped out my tyres without fuss, re-greased the front axle, found that the left front brake lever was little sticky so removed the retaining bolt and applied some dialectic grease then reattached. Found that the bike had a ECU warning flashing so hooked up his little gizmo to correct it. Basically went over the scoot checking for anything obvious. I'd done the oil recently so declined that when he asked if I wanted it done.

At the end, paid him what he requested and then rode off. Got onto the road and it became immediately apparent that the the tyres were way over inflated. Shook my head and thought WTF? I'd never thought to question or look over the guys shoulder to check what he was inflating the tyres to. I rode the scoot home, and checked the pressures in my garage both tyres had more than 50psi... fark! dropped both down to around 30-32-ish.

This is the second occasion where I have had new tyres fitted and had over-inflation. The first time was when I had my tubed tyres replaced for a tubeless conversion on my wire wheeled Dragstar 1100. Those tyres had been so over-inflated they were down right dangerous. And that was a completely different mechanic!

TIC-TIC-TIC!

4. #134 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Well the guy is quite right, the best way to seat new tires is to over-inflate them, however after that they need to be dropped back down to a reasonable pressure. Maybe its a 'no lights at night' thing, risking life and limb for 'economy savings' as I'm sure having more pressure in the tire makes the bike use marginally less fuel.

5. #135 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I'm sure having more pressure in the tire makes the bike use marginally less fuel.
    More than just marginal actually. This is very noticeable on my electric scooter where i'm always very conscious of my power usage. Inflating the tires up to 50psi gives me about 20% more range than normal pressures, and i can go faster too.

6. #136 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Well the guy is quite right, the best way to seat new tires is to over-inflate them, however after that they need to be dropped back down to a reasonable pressure. Maybe its a 'no lights at night' thing, risking life and limb for 'economy savings' as I'm sure having more pressure in the tire makes the bike use marginally less fuel.
    Sure, but this is a huge safety issue, and having ridden motorcycles for 35+ years and having owned many makes and models in several countries I've never experienced over inflation of new tyres anywhere else other then China. YMMV. Also this same mechanic fitted my last two sets of tyres not counting the last set mentioned in my post above and the previous times, the tyres were not over inflated. That also includes the first time when I went with the oversized Perilli and Bridgestone, so why then only on this occasion? Actually the mechanic did over inflate by a wider margin, but then after a moment used his gauge to deflate the pair of tyres, so any seating of the tyres would have occurred while the tyres laid on the shop floor.

To me, there is no excuse. It is unsafe, plan and simple.

7. #137 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I'd never thought to question or look over the guys shoulder to check what he was inflating the tyres to. I rode the scoot home, and checked the pressures in my garage both tyres had more than 50psi... fark!

TIC-TIC-TIC!
    Didn't I just say something about this the other day

Of course you have to over inflate to seat the bead on a new tire.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #138 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Correct one has to over inflate a tyre to get the tyre walls to seat the beading, that part goes without saying. But, once the tyre beads have seated, then the valve is installed and then adjustment is made to correct the tyre pressure. One doesn't install the newly fitted tyre and rim, onto a vehicle and let the customer drive/ride off with over inflated tyres. In some countries if that occurred and the customer was involved in a collision, the company involved in providing the tyre related services would most likely be held accountable through litigation which might include criminality. Especially so in some highly litigious domiciles e.g. Australia and America.

9. #139 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    One doesn't install the newly fitted tyre and rim, onto a vehicle and let the customer drive/ride off with over inflated tyres.
    In China they do

In some countries if that occurred and the customer was involved in a collision, the company involved in providing the tyre related services would most likely be held accountable through litigation which might include criminality.
    Which is why we are so lucky to live here, it would suck if people were held accountable for their actions or inactions.

The biggest tire perpetrators are the idiots at the car washes, they usually do this for free as part of their awesome full service wash package. I have repeatedly told my wife, after finding our car tires over 60PSI, that no person is ever allowed to touch the tires on our vehicles.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #140 Re: TIC (This is China) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Didn't I just say something about this the other day
    Of course you have to over inflate to seat the bead on a new tire.
    Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Sorry hadn't seen that link, as I tend to only view the posts on >250cc or other industry news etc. so missed that. But you are right, we all got to have eyes in the front, back, sides, above and below or heads. It gets old after awhile though to always have to be checking after others work... its like worse than having to babysit children. With children one expects that things might not be up to par, however there is a HUGE difference between children and MOST Chinese here in PRC. Children at least try to meet or better ones expectations...

The problem is like in my situation above, that because this mechanic was and has been diligent always seemingly going above and beyond, I let me guard down. In a bliss thinking or perhaps not thinking... but there you go, that was blown out of the pond and came down with a plonk. Reality sets in again... mediocrity is the acceptable majority, and in PRC majority rules.

Gotta go with the herd... bar-bar-bar!

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 412131415162434 ... LastLast