Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: adding gps etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 adding gps etc 
    So I have a new GPS, Laser g35 for $60 Aus and it works OK, some problems at first but OK for the money. I am going to add offroad maps and use it on the m'bike.

With this in mind I have got a handlebar mount for the GPS and a 12v socket from fleabay. Not many places for a 12v socket on the Kinlon r/t but I can make a fitting on the bars or instrument cluster with a lead following the loom - or on the bike plastics somewhere with just a long power lead from the socket to the GPS. How did you other GPS users fit yours? Just direct leads from battery poles to the socket? And how did you fuse it, a 5v inline fuse on the positive side of the socket? I used to know about these things but have forgotten it all. Something in my mind says it should be negative side. Thought I should ask first before I set fire to everything.

2. #2 Re: adding gps etc 
    go to repair shop for help? but I always like to DIY.

3. #3 Re: adding gps etc 
    C-Moto Guru
    Complete wire looms, incl. Fuseholder available on Fleabay...should be also available down there
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIN-HELLA-TYPE...item4397e50155

For the holder I went the luxury way - RAM Mounts fits perfect for my Garmin Nüvi --> http://www.ram-mount.com.au/

4. #4 Re: adding gps etc 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I have had 3 different bikes that I have fitted similar setups that allows for connecting my HTC devices. The HTC devices are; HTC -P3300 (artemis), HTC-Touch Diamond, and HTC-HD2. All these devices are packed full of features, technologies and applications. One of those functions is GPS. Even though the HTC-Touch Diamond, might seem like a very small choice for GPS, it still works well and my eyesight is good enough that I can still use the GPS function from a distance while riding any one of the 3 moto's I use. For more info head over to www.HTC.com The other great thing with the use of a PPC type device, is everything is contained in the one unit. I'm basically equipped with a mobile office, can take pretty good photos, a document reader, can watch movies, listen to music, navigate using GPS (GarminXT, Route66, MapKing2007, Destinator, iGO8 et al.) - yes played with them all, though GarminXT and MapKing are the leaders for China IMO. and of course a phone.

IMAG0037..jpg IMAG0038..jpg

For the mounts I've used either a peripower GPS www.peripower.com handle bar mount that doesn't rely on a RAM mount, because one of the considerations is that wherever the mount is located needs to afford shelter for the device unless one has a robust moto designed unit (I prefer my all in one device). For my CFMoto CF20T-VIP Fashion (Honda Helix) and the new CFMoto Jetmax scooters, I have taken apart a universal mount manufactured here in China (photo). It costs around rmb49 and I can buy it at the local large supermarket, though many other supermarkets etc don't stock this particular one. Whats great about it is the mounting dismantles (photo) and thats great because I only use a small arm and bracket that mounts into the actual GPS/PDA holder. If you swing by my Jetmax thread you can see how I've utilised it on the dash of the Jetmax, one hole drilled and then a couple of washers with nut & bolt and there's my mount. It's one of the great things about scooters. My Dragstar has a screen also so that helps protect where I've mounted the peripower mount onto the base of the handlebar.

IMAG0039..jpg IMAG0040..jpg IMAG0041..jpg

As for wiring - using the GPS can suck the battery life out of my HTC's, though I have been surprised at just how long I can get out of them when they're not on charge! For the all the bikes I've basically taken to wiring in a cigarette lighter multi-plug extension, and I've usually wired into to an existing wire that's live only when the ignition is on. I've altered that with the Jetmax, and have wired it in with an existing wire that's live all the time (it's the bike-alarm main wire with built in fuse), meaning I don't have to have the ignition on to be charging. I've also a combination of cigarette lighter charger adaptors for the HTC devices and also some universal charges that have adaptors that allow the use of multi plugs...

One of the things I considered also was being able to use that power for other applications, one of which is carrying a small air compressor - just in case. The scooters are easier for the wiring side of things in that the wiring and cigarette lighter units are concealed inside storage compartments. The Dragstar is more complicated as there's not a lot of space thats concealed. I ended up with wiring that runs through the loom under the tank and seat etc, then securing the cigarette lighter to as close as possible to the left side of the steering head, which also tends to get some protection from the screen, so it's not overly exposed. When I wash the Dragstar, I cover the cigarette lighter plugs with a plastic bag - does the job.

I like the versatility.

5. #5 Re: adding gps etc 
    Great responses, thanks. I didn't get any notification of the posts so thought I was being ignored, will have to check my forum settings to see what has changed ... Andre, thanks for that link, I will use it for some stuff I am sure.

This is one of the very few times my purchases from China via flEabay didn't work out in terms of quality - the holder snapped in two places as I opened it. The bits left over are usable with some ingenuity and glue. I am going to concentrate on the 12v socket first as it will do many things as Bikerdoc points out, including power via USB. It will be at the back, not the front I have now decided as I want to build a rack with a lockable, demountable box for all this stuff - I lalso like the idea of a compressor very much, no heavier than a pump. I will need a second battery and a huge rack and box system for everything I could use and charge up, good gracious, I might even need a scooter! Unless I get some commonsense and do as Bikerdoc and get a multifunction device. Where do you stop? A small drinks fridge would be sooooo good in the Aussie summer ....

6. #6 Re: adding gps etc 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    On my last trip from Kunming to Chengdu and back, I barely had time to prepare anything. Boucrap the ght a cheap car phone charger for my HTC Hero, stopped by a computer repair shop, and asked them to just solder aligator cables to it. It was wrong to scrap the fuse though.

Strapped the phone to handle bars using my pedal ties from my road bike.

I navigated (preset checkpoints not turn by turn) 1100 km over 3 and half days like this, each way, the only problems is that i sometimes forget the phone on the bike!
    I highly recommend http://mobac.dnsalias.org/ to create your own maps for offline use. Free, and customizable.

7. #7 Re: adding gps etc 
    That Mobac looks excellent. I am looking at Ozexplorer maps for the off-road, apparently they are like the old paper contour maps of the bush but your route is overlaid. This would be good as the Google maps are in error, showing non-existent tracks and so on. The ordinary GPS maps show none of the bush tracks I use and recently tried to send me up the Freeway, the wrong way. That would have been lethal so I need to do more research on which maps are usable in reality. I am pretty handy with alligator clips and cable ties and bungee rubbers myself, just wanted a more permanent fixture for the upcoming trip! I also think that research before hand, a few emails and calls to local motorbike shops on route, checking trail conditions in different seasons etc. is much better than trusting the GPS software chosen routes!

I need some sort of device that tells me every time I get off the bike to take things with me. I usually forget to even take the key. Will have to change that.

8. #8 Re: adding gps etc 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    I highly recommend http://mobac.dnsalias.org/ to create your own maps for offline use. Free, and customizable.
    Wow, Slabo, what a find! Just had a squiz at that mobac site and very keen to give this a whirl. If it can create routes that can be dropped into a Garmin this will make a lot of folks happy, not just me!

The devil will be in the details. this that Mobile Atlas Creator can create atlases for Garmin Custom Map (KMZ). Does anyone (Bikerdoc??) know: Is KMZ a universal format in Garmin? Or just for certain models?

thanks/cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: adding gps etc 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Wow, Slabo, what a find! Just had a squiz at that mobac site and very keen to give this a whirl. If it can create routes that can be dropped into a Garmin this will make a lot of folks happy, not just me!
    The devil will be in the details. this that Mobile Atlas Creator can create atlases for Garmin Custom Map (KMZ). Does anyone (Bikerdoc??) know: Is KMZ a universal format in Garmin? Or just for certain models?
    thanks/cheers!
    KMZ is a format supported by many mapping/GPS apps etc. Garmin does support the use of KMZ - for more info:
    Garmin discussion here
    Garmin pdf file here
    Garmin KMZ tips from GPS Fix
    The best GPS application going for offroad/track has to be OZIexplorer.

10. #10 Re: adding gps etc 
    Garmin also provide a computing software application/tool which can import/export Garmin maps, POI's, tracks, routing etc. It's called Mapsource, and I have used it from time to time to create routes for destinations where I want to follow a predetermined path. That's not often as I like to explore and find places, which before the availability of decent paper maps and more lately GPS, was how I found my way all over Zhejiang/SH etc. Having GPS is not full proof, but having the latest maps available and using some observation skills helps a lot. China's changing rapidly, new roads and routes being constructed all the time so even when I am navigating using one of my GPS apps, I tend to zoom in and out frequently to see if there might not be an alternative route.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast