Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Greetings from Ireland 
    Hi all and greetings from Ireland.

This looks like a busy and friendly forum where hopefully I can learn lot's about motorcycling in China as a group of us from Ireland are hoping to visit in 2012 for 6 weeks of biking in your country.

I ride an 1150GS BMW and have just returned from a four week coast to coast ride across the US where I and other riders from Ireland and the UK covered 6500 miles (10K km) from west to east.

Prepare yourselves for what may seem like some stupid questions. I hope you are a patient bunch.

2. #2 Re: Greetings from Ireland 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Be off wit ya, I be tellin yas...
    well gidday and welcome to MCM.

For sure you will find loads of information on riding, bikes, and all things China - well most of it at least. Do read many of the threads even those that might not at frst glance to be of interest to you and your situation as they often hold snippets of information, that on a better day at a better time and place would be more suited elsewhere, meaning that sometimes some of the answers to questions you never knew you wanted to ask may just be contained in places you never ever thought to look. You'll definitely find info about others who've also come to ride the famous "silk road" or some other similarly romantic road trip by bike in China and a lot more besides. Any thoughts you may have about bringing your bike here to ride, are best put to bed, as trying to do so is near on impossible. But if you take my advice and read the posts and threads on MCM you will work out the fact from fiction soon enough...
    again, welcome...
    ...now be off wit ya laddie... an we'll not be havin any of dat crack

3. #3 Re: Greetings from Ireland 
    Hi Aidan,

Good to have another one of our own on the forum, we're not very well represented here!

Sounds like a great ride you just had there, but i promise that china will be very, very different... Like your man above said, you're going to have a very tough time doing china on your own bike. There are very strict import laws here that as far as i know nobody understands. I think some people have done it, but i have no idea how. What most do is buy a cheap bike when they get here, do china, and then sell it off when they're done. It won't be a GS but it'll have two wheels and a motor, which is better than a donkey. Myself and the illustrious ChinaV recently did a trip across the west on some chinese 250 dirt bikes. For the rougher parts of the journey they were absolutley perfect, sailing over what could have been a big deal on bigger bikes.

Anywho read around and don't worry about asking stupid questions. Hope ye make it out here!

4. #4 Re: Greetings from Ireland 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yikes, now this is getting bizarre -- far more so than the previous spammerbot "patrick" that CrazyCarl quickly nuked.

these people deserve nothing more than a bath in boiling yak butter.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: Greetings from Ireland 
    Hi

Have you found how to import you bike to China?
    If you do, please share it here, as there are many of us also looking for that info

Thanks
    Andres

6. #6 Re: Greetings from Ireland 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome newcomer Andres. Your query reminds me of something I heard this week: A large group of Harley riders from Malaysia are shipping their bikes to Dalian for a group ride/event organized by the new H-D shop in Dalian, one of ***eight*** Harley dealers now up and running or opening soon in China. The guy who runs the Dalian shop apparently has sufficient confidence in his contacts with Chinese Customs and Border Control that they'll be allowed entry for this limited purpose.

I'll see if I can find out more, and perhaps persuade the Dalian guy to post about the plan here in MCM.

Has anyone in MCM actually visited the Dalian H-D shop, or know anyone there?

cheers,
    jkp
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Greetings from Ireland 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    A large group of Harley riders from Malaysia are shipping their bikes to Dalian for a group ride/event organized by the new H-D shop in Dalian, one of ***eight*** Harley dealers now up and running or opening soon in China. The guy who runs the Dalian shop apparently has sufficient confidence in his contacts with Chinese Customs and Border Control that they'll be allowed entry for this limited purpose.
    I can sense what they done and connections among them are not simple.