Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    Glad to hear it's legit. Vic, just saw your latest PM and it didn't answer some of the questions from my first reply which were:

What types of promotional skills are you looking for? What type or duties, reposnibilities will they have and can it give them a work visa?
    The most important part of this question is the work visa. If a foreigner is the best candidate, then they would need to have a work visa because - if the job description is accurate - this would be a full time job. If the company can not provide a work visa/residence permit then your only option is for a Chinese citizen.. which would rule out many of the people on MCM.

Additionally, given the scope and level of responsibilities in the job description, this is not a "Junior" level position. The words "assist" or "help" never appears once in the description. At the very least, if they are reporting directly to the national manager, then this would be a senior executive position (like a Chief Operations Officer or VP of Marketing).

I recognize your job is difficult. You are trying to find a suitable candidate for the company (in the US we call folks in your profession "head hunters") but it's important to understand the job role well and present it in an accurate manner. It saves everyone work in the long run.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

2. #12 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Senior
    same posts and PM's all over PRC forums, yes, head hunter!
    +++++++++
    Ride safe, PAL

3. #13 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Guru
    She contacted me by PM on Shanghaiexpat asking if either I was interested in the job or if I knew anyone who might be. The job description sounded so great that I pointed "Victoria" at this forum. Now I'm starting to wonder if the job offer is legit. Hoping it is, and that someone here can score a fun job promoting motorcycles in Shanghai.

4. #14 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Well I'm telling you that the original job description is the 'ideal' candidate. As the search process has gone on, the client has realized that they have had to readjust some guidelines and be a little more open.

5. #15 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    The famous international luxury motorcycle brand - oh what a title - obviously didn't do their homework well.
    - The ideal candidate (per their definition) doesn't exist, and if it would, she / he would have a fantastic position already.
    - Why choose one one the most motorcycle unfriendly places on earth for such a position? If you want to lobby the government, head 1000 kms north.
    Andy

6. #16 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    Forestville California, Nanning Guangzhou
    ahhhh yah...a little more open minded is great....

7. #17 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    @CC:
    Yes, I believe I answered these questions already, but ok, here they are again.
    Yes, the company will provide work visa/residence permit as this is a full time job.
    This IS a junior level position. If you know about Event Management, people who have less than 5 years of experience are running their own events already in China. This role is looking for someone with about 5 years (or more) of experience. That means the person is probably around 30 or even younger. They are reporting directly to the Country Manager because it is a very flat and small organization in Shanghai. Everyone reports to the Country Manager. This role is by NO MEANS a Chief Operations Office or VP of Marketing as there is someone in a Marketing Manager role. This is equivalent to an Events Coordinator position that will sit on the Marketing team.
    Oh and this just in, we are called head hunters in China too.

@Nuhaus:
    What makes you think the offer is not legit?

@Chinabiker:
    There is no need to be a dick about it.
    The person DOES exist I'm sure, I've just met with someone who is actually quite suitable. This position is based in Shanghai because the China HQ is there. The company has just gone from a Rep Office to a WOFE and is investing in this country. Asking WHY a company entered China is a question that I will not even answer here....

@everyone else:
    I hope this is clear: the job is legit. They want someone who rides/likes riding and has event management experience. This candidate's main responsibility is to train riders as well as coordinate customer events all over the country.

8. #18 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victoria View Post
    @CC:
    Yes, I believe I answered these questions already, but ok, here they are again.
    Yes, the company will provide work visa/residence permit as this is a full time job.
    This IS a junior level position. If you know about Event Management, people who have less than 5 years of experience are running their own events already in China. This role is looking for someone with about 5 years (or more) of experience. That means the person is probably around 30 or even younger. They are reporting directly to the Country Manager because it is a very flat and small organization in Shanghai. Everyone reports to the Country Manager. This role is by NO MEANS a Chief Operations Office or VP of Marketing as there is someone in a Marketing Manager role. This is equivalent to an Events Coordinator position that will sit on the Marketing team.
    Oh and this just in, we are called head hunters in China too.
    What is the relation between "less than five years of experience running their own events" and the age of 30 or younger with more than five years of experience?
    You say in one sentence that the position reports to the country manager (gm, i suppose) and revoke this in the next sentence stating that there is a marketing manager. So, who is the position reporting to?

@Nuhaus:
    What makes you think the offer is not legit?
    There were some spammers on the site recently, that's why one might think that there is another troll.

@Chinabiker:
    There is no need to be a dick about it.
    There is no need to be bitchy

The person DOES exist I'm sure, I've just met with someone who is actually quite suitable. This position is based in Shanghai because the China HQ is there. The company has just gone from a Rep Office to a WOFE and is investing in this country.
    After you downgraded the position several times, now this person may exist. A famous international luxury motorcycle brand locates it's HQ in Shanghai? Recreational biking in China is unpopular and the legal basis is not in it's favor, so lobbying the govt is inevitable and Shanghai is not the place for it.

Asking WHY a company entered China is a question that I will not even answer here....
    What is so secret about it? It's for $$$

@everyone else:
    I hope this is clear: the job is legit. They want someone who rides/likes riding and has event management experience. This candidate's main responsibility is to train riders as well as coordinate customer events all over the country.
    So the main responsibility of the event manager is to train riders. What? Riding?
    The job may be legit but it is not very professional advertised with a lot of contradictions between the original "ideal candidate" search and the statements in the previous post. Hard to believe that a famous international luxury motorcycle brand is behind all this.
    Andy

9. #19 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    I think the company might be Polaris.I know it is a long shot.

But I saw the company and "head hunters" (aka bottom feed dewlers) in Australia.

Advertising for employers for "famous motorcycle company" and there famous and well regarded V-twin motorcycle.

Victory motorcycle.

Abit of creativity there.

So this job in Shanghai has gone from upper management to riding instructor.

Gee Victoria you wonder why we wonder if your legit?

10. #20 Re: Work for a Famous Motorcycle Company! Based in Shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    there are just too many contradictions and inconsistencies for the position... in my opinion, the position is a key position and requires someone flexible with significant motorcycling experience and well rounded motorcycle exposure with a significant marketing or event background, who is bilingual (Mandarin/English). Given that the position reports to the country manager but works in with the marketing manager, I see the position as more a senior one and not junior... that aspect to me is just the company trying to pay as little as possible... and given the requirements is a recipe for disaster. A true luxury brand would know this... and while all companies want to minimise their overheads/salaries etc true luxury brands know the importance of investing in high calibre staff, especially any company that has exposure to the 'Chinese' market and way of doing/conducting business. The requirement that the candidate is involved in setting up rider training etc only further enhances how significant a position this one is... I ride with many Chinese guys who ride large displacement bikes, where it's plainly evident their lack of advanced rider training. So the candidate needs to have completed an advanced riders course as well as have significant riding experience and exposure. It seems to me the company in question need to re-evaluate the position requirements and be realistic about it. From what I have read here and elsewhere, including having received the job description, the position is really suited to a foreigner who is more likely to have the understanding, depth of knowledge and experience required, and true appreciation for what a quality brand represents and is all about. Not something many Chinese (even wealthy ones) here have. Victoria, I can introduce you to the GM's of some 5 star hotels who can share with you some stories/experiences of the newly rich Chinese in PRC.
    Pay peanuts, get a monkey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast